Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Do you think parents should take their children out on mock dates to prepare them for the real ones they will go on?

Do you think parents should take their children out on mock dates to prepare them for the real ones they will go on?

Posted - July 14, 2017

Responses

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. Let these kids learn on their own like the rest of us.
      July 14, 2017 12:33 PM MDT

Children these days need no training on it!
      July 14, 2017 12:55 PM MDT

My vote is no.. I don't think so.. that would teach them that there is some supposed right or wrong about dating.. that's constraining and limiting.. I'd rather they don't have any preconceived ideas and just be ready to enjoy the moment, live it to the full and be spontaneuos.. respond as they feel to whatever happens.
      July 14, 2017 4:00 PM MDT

That sounds incredibly awkward..
      July 14, 2017 7:18 PM MDT

I think it's a great idea, and I've heard of it being put into practice, especially by fathers taking their daughters on dates to exhibit how a gentleman treats a lady. 

Of course, in modern times, things like dressing properly, meeting the parents, holding conversations, shaking hands, making eye contact, etc, are considered passé by the majority of people. 

~
      July 14, 2017 7:56 PM MDT

• At 42 I took my cousin's son 19, like a nephew to me, on the very first date of his life. He was the epitome of courtesy and good manners, and I enjoyed myself so much! He made me feel so special. We've been on four such "dates" in three years.  This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at July 15, 2017 5:57 AM MDT
      July 15, 2017 2:49 AM MDT

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, creepy.
      July 14, 2017 8:08 PM MDT

• A date is between two people within a peer group.  A parent is much outside the peer group and represents authority.  To go on a mock date would be both creepy and very unrealistic.   A parent might give some general comments on proper conduct but to play act? No. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at July 15, 2017 2:40 AM MDT
      July 14, 2017 9:08 PM MDT

In modern society I see nothing but disaster down that road.

1) The obvious one is getting arrested as a pedophile when you are discovered in a fancy restaurant 'courting' your young daughter. Then when you explain that you are her father, 'incest' will be added to the charges.

2) In a more practical vein, you are not capable. Just about every generation invent its own kind of slang with the express purpose of talking freely without the grownups knowing what they are talking about. You are bound to make mistakes that make the kid giggle hysterically at your stupidity.

3) What you want to warn them about is your fear picture of what a youngster 'on the prowl' might say or do. As a parent it is a very natural fear, but it is also a pretty unreal one. Kids tend to have quite good morals. The predators dont emerge before people are well into their twenties.
      July 15, 2017 12:23 AM MDT

No but would be nice, as Randy suggested,  if parents still instructed their kids in social etiquette, politeness, and good manners. And I think important for children to play with and become used to interacting with the opposite sex before they get to dating. So they get a sense of how the other thinks and tends to act.  
      July 16, 2017 11:41 AM MDT

No but would be nice, as Randy suggested,  if parents still instructed their kids in social etiquette, politeness, and good manners. And I think important for children to play with and become used to interacting with the opposite sex before they get to dating. So they get a sense of how the other thinks and tends to act.  
      July 16, 2017 11:42 AM MDT