Discussion » Questions » Relationships » Have you ever taken your son or daughter on a mock date to teach them proper dating conduct?

Have you ever taken your son or daughter on a mock date to teach them proper dating conduct?

Posted - July 14, 2017

Responses

i dont have kids but that sounds like a good idea
      July 14, 2017 2:32 PM MDT

LOL I had a chuckle at that one... I am sure people might do that.. I wouldn't for the simple reason that I don't believe there is such a thing as proper dating behaviour.. I wouldn't want to pass on that anxiety.. what if my offspring's date didn't conform.. what if my offspring didn't .. that would cause anxiety.. I'd prefer to teach my offspring to roll with it, take it as it happens, be spontaneous, do whatever feels right at the time and don't place too much pressure on yourself to be this or that or to do this or that.. don't feel you need to be perfect to have a perfect date.. also don't sweat it when it doesn't run smoothly, just enjoy and make the most of it. 
      July 14, 2017 3:48 PM MDT

No, he had access to a specific program when he was in high school.

I think there is value in teaching a child certain generally agreed upon rules of etiquette.  Most of it can be learned in a normal family setting as they are growing up.

We took a friend of our youngest son's out to dinner when they were both about 12 years old.  We went to a Steak and Ale.  It was the first time the friend had ever been out to anything beyond McDonald's or Dairy Queen.  He was like a fish out of water, but he was in a totally safe environment with us.

Anxiety is usually reduced in situations if you have some prior experience with them.
      July 14, 2017 4:04 PM MDT

I can totally see what you mean.. but beyond the given etiquette I would say that pretty much every date is going to be different because every person you date is different.. and I guess I'd worry that if we have some idea that it has to go a certain way then that might create stress.. but yes, getting used to different settings venues may be a good idea 
      July 14, 2017 4:24 PM MDT