Active Now

Element 99
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » Do you realize that the Millenials who will begin legally driving THIS year are the first group of people who have handled cell phones

Do you realize that the Millenials who will begin legally driving THIS year are the first group of people who have handled cell phones

practically every single day of their lives since before age five, and that they have absolutely no concept of doing anything in their waking hours without a cell phone?

Happy motoring!

Posted - July 15, 2017

Responses

no, didnt know that
      July 15, 2017 2:52 PM MDT

If they are that adept, they may be the first creatures behind the wheel with a cell that do not get killed simply because they can HANDLE that operation.  They have grown up with the skill.

Happy getting the hell out of their way though.....

July 15, 2017 2:59 PM MDT

Who says they're "adept"?  They're still teenagers!
    ~
      July 15, 2017 3:10 PM MDT

AND AND AND

Millenials 2 boot.

See?  I'm an equal-opportunity insulter. 
      July 15, 2017 3:14 PM MDT

I like living in a state where using mobile phones by hand while driving is illegal.  You can speak as long as you use headgear.  Even when in states that allow using mobile while driving I don't.  I'll answer and say I'll call back or I pull off the road.  I'm not sure why it is so distracting where a passenger isn't but it seems to be.
      July 15, 2017 4:35 PM MDT

A passenger sees what you're seeing and reacts to it. The person on the phone just keeps talking.
      July 15, 2017 4:53 PM MDT

Logical.  Thanks!
      July 15, 2017 10:58 PM MDT

(I've told you before, folks, go easy on the compliments with this one; her head gets all swollen up and I can't control her for a whole week afterwards.)

~
      July 16, 2017 6:35 AM MDT

Your question is incorrect. most miillenials already have a drivers license. The term 'Millenial' was coined to describe the generation that graduated High school in the year 2000. They would be in their early thirties now.

Anyway there are lots of "hands free" accessories you can buy to operate a cellphone while driving, without becoming an unsafe driver. So there is little need for worry. I would say My generation were more unsafe drivers, there was a lot of focus on boozing and "How fun it was" among my classmates in college.
      July 15, 2017 6:41 PM MDT

Thanks for that clarification, Jakob.  
    I'm specifically referring to those who are between 14, 15, 16, and 17 years old this year, because unlike a 30-year-old, any one of them might not have been raised in the cell phone culture from the early age of 5.  If those ages I mentioned are not considered Millenials, please inform me as to the correct term that identifies their generation. 

As for the hands-free devices available, im referring to the vast majority of drivers who still use hsnd-held phones while driving, and ignore hands-free options. Just because something is available, especially a better or safer option, doesn't mean that people will use it.
    (In addition to very young people doing that, I see people of all ages doing it on a daily basis.)

~
      July 16, 2017 6:48 AM MDT

I agree that teen drivers a more prone to make the road unsafe
    But I fail to see cell-phone use as the most significant part of that.

She may be holding a cellphone, but is that what makes her an dangerous driver?

see also: https://www.teendriversource.org/stats/support_teens/detail/63 This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at July 16, 2017 7:58 AM MDT
      July 16, 2017 7:55 AM MDT

Who said it was the most significant factor?  Objection, Your Honor; opposing counsel is entering facts that are not part of existing evidence. 

~
      July 20, 2017 8:11 PM MDT

I believe he's referring to the people just getting licenses who have had a cell in their lives their entire lives.
      July 16, 2017 4:54 PM MDT

https://www.personalinjurysandiego.org/topics/facts-about-texting-driving/

https://distracteddriveraccidents.com/25-shocking-distracted-driving-statistics/
    "...
    • Each year, over 330,000 accidents caused by texting while driving lead to severe injuries. This means that over 78% of all distracted drivers are distracted because they have been texting while driving.
    • 1 out of 4 car accidents in the US are caused by texting while driving.
    • Texting and driving is 6 times more likely to get you in an accident than drunk driving. That’s right, it is actually safer for someone to get wasted and get behind the wheel than to text and do it.
    ..."
      July 16, 2017 8:46 AM MDT

I'm sure the same thing was said about kids with electricity, land line phones, and televisions. Although, Millenials are much worse for this reason: they JUDGE people who do not live on a cell phone as the scum of the Earth. For them, not being bathed in tech is the equivalent of being a non-person. 
      July 16, 2017 4:56 PM MDT

Speaking of 'being bathed in tech':
    https://www.google.com/search?q=electricuted+bath+cell+phone&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&oq=electricuted+bath+cell+phone&aqs=chrome..69i57.7231j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
      July 20, 2017 6:12 PM MDT

When you use an extension cord from a mains socket you bring the mains voltage to the far end of the extension cord. In the US that means a voltage of 120V and an AC frequency of 60 HZ. That can sometimes kill people, but usually wont (which is why 120V was chosen as the mains voltage) Here in DK 220V was chosen as mains voltage instead and with the same argument (it is not likely to be lethal) and also because higher voltage give a bit less AC transmission loss in the wires.

A cell phone have a battery voltage lower than 10 Volts. A cell Phone by itself cannot kill a Human being. It just might be able to kill a hummingbird.

The cases highlighted in your search was about extension cords, not cell phones.
      July 21, 2017 4:32 AM MDT

I didn't say a cell phone by itself killed anyone. I made no synopsys or argument in anyway. I just remember hearing in the news some teen charging their phone while bathing and getting electrocuted and only said: "Speaking of 'being bathed in tech':"

These are the results of my search and most of which the reason for the extension cord was so they could charge their cell phone while bathing, unless I missed something?

https://www.google.com/search?q=electricuted+bath+cell+phone&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&oq=electricuted+bath+cell+phone&aqs=chrome..69i57.7231j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Teen electrocuted after playing on phone in bathtub - CNN.com

www.cnn.com/2017/07/18/health/teen-bathtub-electrocuted-text-trnd/index.html

3 days ago - Police believe Madison Coe, 14, sent this message to a friend before she was electrocutedin her bathtub. ... CNN (CNN)As she often did, 14-year-old Madison Coe ran a bath to unwind before bed.... The girl's phone was plugged into a charger, which was plugged into an extension cord ...

Texas teen was electrocuted by her cellphone while taking a bath, her ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/.../texas-teen-was-electrocuted-by-her-cellphone-while...
    Jul 12, 2017 - Coe's family told local news her cellphone had fallen into the bathtub and she had a burn mark on her hand. The medical examiner has yet to ...

This post was edited by texasescimo at July 21, 2017 6:16 AM MDT
      July 21, 2017 5:55 AM MDT

I read yesterday that Washington has now passed law for DUI-E, Driving Under the Influence of Electronics.  You cannot have a mobile phone in your hand while behind the wheel of a car even if the car is parked.  Thank goodness!  I read another article about two women being killed while their car was stopped in traffic; a man rammed into them going 70 mph as he was taking a selfie.  People are morphing into complete idiots! 
      July 20, 2017 2:58 PM MDT

• I work with a Millenial who made me so mad today. If I hadn't been at work, I swear I would have given him the smack down. He had the nerve to tell me that his generation was better educated and worked more than any other generation. He's still in college, and about all he does at work is his school work.   I haven't liked him since he got hired. He's arrogant, pompous and as phony as a $3 bill. 

July 20, 2017 6:25 PM MDT

July 20, 2017 8:53 PM MDT

• LOL!!! :)
      July 21, 2017 3:15 AM MDT