Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » DO you think it is really a problem that young people seem to experience so much so young now? Will they be bored later?

DO you think it is really a problem that young people seem to experience so much so young now? Will they be bored later?

We were talking at work about the fact that when we were younger we pretty much amused ourselves at home, around home and with friends... holidays/vacations were taken with family... and nothing too exciting.. say Spain for those of us in the UK... we didn't have proms or anything flashy... if we had a car at all it was a very old car... a banger as we call it...  

Young adults and later teens now seem to have so much more disposable income...and so we see young people who have basically traveled the world by the time they are 20, scuba diving in the Bahamas, chilling in Antigua, flying from the UK to Vegas for the weekend as it if it were nothing... no old grotty cars for them, they have flashy cars and erm sexually so many of them have done everything, and I mean everything.. I wonder what happens when they've tried everything...where's to go? Or does it all just get more and more extreme?  That's my betting.. that everything has to be more extreme to get the same level of excitement from holidays, cars, birthday celebrations etc.. 

Posted - July 19, 2017

Responses

Yes.  I have seen many a young life become ruined from too much advantage without paying back with gratitude and understanding of how happy they need to be over the fact that they have so much bounty.

I have a cousin that ruined her daughter's life by protecting her every choice and covering for her by buying her everything.  The daughter is very smart and very accomplished, but she thinks she is entitled to whatever she wants.  She has left a family of 4 young children to pursue a man 10 years her junior and in her 40's have two kids with him.  No. wait.  She is 42 and he is 28.   That is so insane.

But, that is only part of what she has done with her dysfunctional life so far.  Very weird people, that family.
      July 19, 2017 12:08 PM MDT

I do think people are far more selfish and self-centred now... all we can see is our own needs and responsibility seems a dirty word.
      July 19, 2017 12:53 PM MDT

• I agree with that, they are far more selfish and self-centered. In many cases the the parents fail to instill a sense of responsibility in their children. When I was growing up and was acting in an irresponsible manner, I got my behind tanned. Today a lot of the kids are rewarded for acting irresponsible and because of that they begin to feel that they are entitled. Of course there are a lot of grownups who feel and act the same way.
      July 19, 2017 2:21 PM MDT

You raise an important issue. I think the further one strays from life's core values, the harder it is to find true contentment. And if those values were not firmly planted, finding the right path is very difficult and life becomes about using things on the outside to fill the void on the inside. Which rarely, if ever, works.
      July 19, 2017 12:24 PM MDT

I've often also wondered if parents throw money and expensive holidays and gifts at children as a way of making up for the fact they don't have time or energy to give them now that parents are all always so busy... so maybe parents don't have time to teach and reinforce the core values now?  
      July 19, 2017 12:52 PM MDT

Very much a part of the problem. Except in the case of those with disposable income, they could choose to be less busy which would leave them available to teach and reinforce. Material things are certainly nice, but sometimes parents forget that what truly makes their children happy is the gift of time.
      July 19, 2017 1:02 PM MDT

Absolutely agree!
      July 19, 2017 1:30 PM MDT

depends on the teenager, theyre all different
      July 19, 2017 1:43 PM MDT

Yes, of course Pearl... it was a generalisation... and meant to be so. I have a teenage daughter and I have two sons in their 20s and of course it doesn't apply to them, although my sons have traveled a little. They also started out with grotty old cars..  etc.. but the world has changed, generally speaking of course and there are many more teens who have literally done everything and tried everyhing by the time they are 20... so there's little left for them to see or do, or experience... 
      July 19, 2017 2:34 PM MDT

That is called a 'Luxury problem' Rich people and nobility have had that it for ages.
    And yes, some kids get 'turned bad' by it (eg Emperor Nero in Rome in the first century AD). But mostly they also get raised a bit better, and turn out OK.
      July 19, 2017 7:12 PM MDT