Active Now

my2cents
Spunky
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » is it dangerous to see a black bear ?

is it dangerous to see a black bear ?

I went in vacation to a remote place in my country.... lot, lot and lot of forest everywhere

there was a huge lake , and we could walk all around the lake, it was like 6-7 kilometers, and its just a road , next to some houses, and forest too....

so i walked around the lake, and saw deers , but i was walking in a hurry, carying a stick and stones lol, cuz i was scared to see a bear....

i dont want to appear like a prey to a bear, so i was wondering if ever i see one , do they attack humans 

Posted - July 22, 2017

Responses

It's not dangerous to see one...but don't antagonize them. They don't like humans and usually retreat from us.
      July 22, 2017 6:17 PM MDT

As Element said, it's not dangerous to see one. lol
    If out in the wild as I presume you are talking about, it's best to keep your distance. From what I have heard (there ain't no bears round here) you never run as black and brown bears are deceptively fast, like a horse. I've always heard that with a brown bear to always play dead. With black bears, I've heard everything from play dead to try to look as big as you can and if it attacks, punch it in the nose. That's all going from memory. I'm sure that google is your friend besides other AM'ers.
      July 22, 2017 6:22 PM MDT

• I once stopped a black bear from attacking me with just my fists.
      July 22, 2017 6:45 PM MDT

Yes, one "fist" was gripping the forearm of a loaded 7-mm Maginum rifle, the other gripping the pistol-grip of the stock. The attack stopped when the index finger of that second descried fist squeezed against the rifle's trigger while said rifle was aimed at the bear.
      July 22, 2017 7:11 PM MDT

• No. A fist, a clenched hand.  A friend and I were hiking in Canada eh? and a black bear accosted us.  I turned to my friend, smashed him in the face with my fist, dropped my backpack and took off running.  The bear got my friend and I escaped.  True story.
      July 22, 2017 7:15 PM MDT

No harm in observing from a very safe distance but steer well clear. (If you don't need a telephoto lens to take a photo you're probably too close.) And make a lot of noise as you're hiking through the woods as they REALLY don't like to be startled. Ursus americanus is every bit as dangerous as any of its burlier cousins, if not more so.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America 

While most bears will avoid confrontation if food supplies are good we did have a neighbor whose car was totally destroyed inside by a black bear searching for food while it was sitting in his driveway. (Apparently the bear smelled fast food packaging and managed to work the door handle on the unlocked vehicle; they're not stupid.) And if you happen to find some bear cubs stay far away. You can bet that "Momma" Bear is close by and may well perceive you as a threat to her cubs and take action she feels appropriate to defend them from the danger. And take a slow "friend" with you, someone who can't run as fast as you can. You won't be able to outrun a bear as they can cruise along at around 40-miles-per-hour (60-kilometers-per-hour). Seriously though, concentrated capsicum spray is probably your best bet for defense. It's sold as bear repellent in some places. Be aware though that bears reportedly like the smell so it's not really a repellent in the traditional sense. But if you hit them directly in the eyes, nose and mouth with the stream it should back them down. And as a last resort, and you're a good shot in stressful situations, a very heavy caliber handgun isn't a bad thing to have on you. I'm talking .454 Casull, .44-magnum is almost too light. [There is a surgeon in Anchorage that is considered to be the world's foremost authority on treating people that have been mauled by bears (mainly because he's treated so many patients) who thinks that black bears are even more dangerous that brown bears. He also won't go outside his home without a heavy caliber handgun.]

https://www.bearsmart.com/about-bears/dispelling-myths/

July 22, 2017 7:06 PM MDT

thank you . 

i had the thought of 'what if' .... what if we could live in the wild , in a forest , but the only thing that make me less want to do it would be because bears . i dont want to face one.
      July 22, 2017 7:10 PM MDT

probably if its not a friendly one
      July 23, 2017 5:57 PM MDT

Sorry, franc533 -- I couldn't resist :

Now THIS is my kind of a black bear! I'd love to see him anywhere! (I'm in the gay world frame of mind)

:)

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at February 6, 2018 7:20 AM MST
      January 3, 2018 8:09 PM MST

Huge smiles and giggles Welby!  Well-said and pictured!  I think this one might be a little more dangerous!! ;) ;)
      January 4, 2018 10:44 AM MST

Thanks, Merlin!
      January 4, 2018 12:22 PM MST

Hello frank533. After Jesus takes over the affairs of the earth and God's will starts being implemented here, even the animals will be at peace.

(Matthew 6:9, 10) “You must pray, then, this way: “‘Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified. 10 Let your Kingdom come. Let your will take place, as in heaven, also on earth.

(Isaiah 11:1-9) A twig will grow out of the stump of Jesʹse, And a sprout from his roots will bear fruit.  2 And the spirit of Jehovah will settle upon him, The spirit of wisdom and of understanding, The spirit of counsel and of mightiness, The spirit of knowledge and of the fear of Jehovah.  3 And he will find delight in the fear of Jehovah. He will not judge by what appears to his eyes, Nor reprove simply according to what his ears hear.  4 He will judge the lowly with fairness, And with uprightness he will give reproof in behalf of the meek ones of the earth. He will strike the earth with the rod of his mouth And put the wicked to death with the breath of his lips.  5 Righteousness will be the belt around his waist, And faithfulness the belt of his hips.  6 The wolf will reside for a while with the lamb, And with the young goat the leopard will lie down, And the calf and the lion and the fattened animal will all be together; And a little boy will lead them.  7 The cow and the bear will feed together, And their young will lie down together. The lion will eat straw like the bull.  8 The nursing child will play over the lair of a cobra, And a weaned child will put his hand over the den of a poisonous snake.  9 They will not cause any harm Or any ruin in all my holy mountain, Because the earth will certainly be filled with the knowledge of Jehovah As the waters cover the sea.

(Psalm 37:9, 10) For evil men will be done away with, But those hoping in Jehovah will possess the earth. 10 Just a little while longer, and the wicked will be no more; You will look at where they were, And they will not be there.
    (Psalm 37:29) The righteous will possess the earth, And they will live forever on it.
      February 6, 2018 6:47 AM MST

What does all of that have to do with bears?
      February 6, 2018 7:21 AM MST

Bears are dangerous today. In the new system they will be at peace with humans and other animals. (According to the Hebrew scriptures, Torah and prophets or O.T. or whatever someone refers to the first 39 books of the Bible as.)
    I guess verse 7 is the only one that mentioned bears specifically: 7 The cow and the bear will feed together
      February 6, 2018 8:01 AM MST

Here is a bear rhyme to keep in mind. :)

If the bear is brown  LAY DOWN
    If the bear is black    ATTACK
    If the bear is white   GOOD NIGHT

All bears really have no interest in us.  Our food maybe... but us as food, No.  Chances are, we are in their neighborhood and should respect all of them.  We would expect them to do the same if they were in ours.
    The brown bears are true omnivores and will eat anything nutritious they can find.  We really aren't all that nutritious for them. When hungry enough they will kill a small rodent or animal.  The favorite feast for them is salmon and brown bears normally live near the coast.
    Black bears are also omnivores and will occasionally kill a small deer or moose calf.  They are located up North for the most part.
    Polar bears, well, you don't stand a chance nor do they at the rate they are disappearing.  
    Please be nice to all bears.  They really mean no harm to you.
      February 6, 2018 9:40 AM MST