Active Now

Randy D
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Did you know that the uterus and the root word of uterus means hysteria? Does hysteria mean fear or laughter? Or hysterical laughter?

Did you know that the uterus and the root word of uterus means hysteria? Does hysteria mean fear or laughter? Or hysterical laughter?

Posted - July 24, 2017

Responses

• Actually hysteria means insanity brought on by a problem with the uterus.   It used to be believed women went crazy because of their uterus and :"stimulation " to orgasm was the cure.  It was even believed to be contagious and is where the term " mass hysteria " comes from.   One woman's out of whack bits could cause a whole town to go insane.
      July 24, 2017 7:00 PM MDT

I second what Glis said.

Hysteria is a reference to the uterus. The prefix originally referenced the uterus only, but the brilliant Ancient Greeks (like Plato and Hippocrates, and we still quote them for their wisdom. GAH!) decided that the uterus could move around in a woman's body. Traveling uteruses caused all sorts of problems, including horrific issues like arousal. Stimulation wasn't the only cure, though. They performed hysterectomies as well. Go medicine! Anywho, a uterus on the move was said to cause hysteria, or a case of the crazies. It later became a gender-neutral term. Ah, those progressive Ancient Greeks. I wonder what they'd say about unisex bathrooms. 
      July 24, 2017 8:04 PM MDT

Women have uteri, therefore they are all crazy.
      July 25, 2017 7:48 AM MDT

no but now i do
      July 25, 2017 3:16 PM MDT