Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Babies and Kids » Did you or would you give your baby breast milk or formula and why?

Did you or would you give your baby breast milk or formula and why?

My twins aren't due until November but when the time comes I'll feed them breast milk.  Humans were designed for it to be done that way.

Posted - July 24, 2017

Responses

I had my oldest when I was 15 and breastfeeding seemed really weird to me at the time, especially because nobody I had ever known had done it. When he was a couple of weeks old, I decided to try to pump, but I never got much out of it. 

My younger two were exclusively breastfed. With the middle, I had to work some and pumped a bit to keep enough on hand at home. By the time my youngest was born, it was beyond second nature. I had serious surplus and ended up donating a bunch. I think it worked out to something crazy like 20 gallons by the time my son weaned. 

I am a huge proponent of breastfeeding, but I also wouldn't admonish someone for using formula. Getting my daughter to nurse was hell. She wouldn't latch on and she was hungry. My boobs were huge, leaky, and they hurt. When my milk came in, I remember the first two nights specifically- both of us in tears. Her because she was hungry and frustrated. Me because of all those new mom guilt things. If I give her formula, I'm a bad mom. If I keep trying to breastfeed, I'll starve her. etc. I ended up hiring a lactation consultant to come to my house and give me tips and help us get started. Had it not been for her, we wouldn't have made it. To me, it was a huge badge of honor to be able to be able to breastfeed, but knowing what we went through in those early days. Ugh. Each woman needs to do what's right for her and her baby. Yes, breast is generally best, but sometimes it isn't an option and sometimes it doesn't work the way we plan. 
      July 24, 2017 8:53 PM MDT

I breastfed both of mine.  I read several times that even six weeks of nursing gives the baby a good start.  I had no problems until my second just never seemed to  be satisfied.  I changed her to formula at that time; she was about to kill me.  ;)  No regrets.  Each mom decides what will work best for her. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at July 25, 2017 10:47 PM MDT
      July 24, 2017 11:54 PM MDT

Twins?

It's going to be a heck of a ride; the biggest pain in the rear end that you'll ever have, that's worth it. But good for you for breast feeding! Your kids will be healthier, fewer earaches, colds and such. At least ours were. One suggestion though . . . when vaccination time rolls around go with the Salk Polio vaccine, not the Sabin; MUCH safer. (Check out what WHO and the Bloomberg School of Public Health have to say about it.)

As to breastfeeding vs. bottle feeding my wife did both because of the voracious appetites that they both had. We wanted them to get the benefits of breastfeeding but didn't want them to be hungry. And by the way, ours were "offset-synchronized". One would get hungry and then be fed. And just as that twin was reaching belly full the sibling would start to express hunger. Actually worked out rather well.
      July 25, 2017 12:17 AM MDT

i dont have kids but i probably wouldve breastfed if i did
      July 25, 2017 2:37 PM MDT

Children and motherhood are something magical that only a mother and child can experience.  As sappy as this may sound, I am always in awe.  I chose not to have children for many environmental and political reasons.  Luckily, I married a man with the same idea. 
    With that being said, I have and will always be true to the feeling of mother and child uniting not only in the womb but also through the security the baby must feel being in the world and yet still connected and protected by their mother via their breast and milk.

I do not think any mother is bad or frown upon women that don't.  There are many factors that may come into play why they choose not to.
    In my opinion, whatever works for the mother and child is beautiful for them and wonderful they have each other, regardless.
    If I would have chosen to have a child, I would have definitely breastfed if I was able to do so. 

This post was edited by Merlin at July 26, 2017 10:48 AM MDT
      July 25, 2017 10:57 PM MDT