Active Now

Element 99
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Is This True For You??

Is This True For You??

Posted - July 21, 2016

Responses

I used to be horribly shy and rarely spoke my true feelings unless I knew someone well.  Now I am pretty open.  I do think there is much to be admired with NOT expressing every thought, especially online.

Silence is often golden.

July 21, 2016 11:40 AM MDT

No, it's usually this....;-D....

July 21, 2016 11:47 AM MDT

LOL Love it!  :))

July 21, 2016 12:10 PM MDT

No. 

I am a little more complex than that.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
      July 21, 2016 12:13 PM MDT

I can relate to being shy.  Believe it or not I was very shy until I hit my twenties. I also was raised hearing "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything".  So I was often quiet! lol

Since becoming an adult, I am more outspoken now.  But, because I am more observant of people's actions, I often am underestimated. My silence is often mistaken for compliance or indifference.  I'm just a lot smarter when to speak to make a difference.

July 21, 2016 12:21 PM MDT

I do think people that are naturally "more quiet" are often underestimated!  

I remember when I first started speaking up and speaking out.  I think it was a shock for all the people that thought I had no opinion at all.  Actually, I think it takes great control and thought to NOT always put things out there, especially when dealing with someone that merely wants a reaction.  It's finding that balance.

I am glad though to have overcome a lot of my shyness.  Being assertive is very necessary when it comes to the workplace, your children, and any other situation that demands good communication.  I noticed my life got a lot better when I could vocalize what I needed and expected.  

I always said that when I truly go quiet now, it's not a good thing.  It means there is a lot going on and I am consciously looking to choose my words...or not.  Sometimes I choose to simply walk away.

July 21, 2016 12:35 PM MDT

Whereas I, of course, am simpler than that....;-D...

July 21, 2016 12:45 PM MDT

No I think we're the same that way.   We can be idiotic sure, but once in awhile a burst of brilliance comes out of us.    I will acquiesce to the fact that the light is more on your side than on mine though.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
      July 21, 2016 12:49 PM MDT

July 21, 2016 12:56 PM MDT

July 21, 2016 12:56 PM MDT