Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Weather » Have you ever had a close encounter or been hit by a tornado?

Have you ever had a close encounter or been hit by a tornado?

Back in the 80s an F4 tornado hit a city 3 hours from me and it killed a bunch of people.
I remember hearing about it for years after and it's still scary to think about.
This picture isn't that one, but have you ever survived a tornado?

Posted - July 28, 2017

Responses

• I watched a movie wizard of oz and saw play "wicked" that's closest I've got .. maybe . I love that play so very much :) 

htthttps://youtu.be/1Q4uMMFjgmM
      July 28, 2017 8:05 PM MDT

• That was cool thanks. : )
      July 28, 2017 8:28 PM MDT

• You're welcome :) it is not very coil' I know I know it is not ... but I love it so much.
      July 28, 2017 8:50 PM MDT

I absolutely love this musical!!!! And this song is so fun to sing along with ;)
      July 28, 2017 9:42 PM MDT

I've had several close encounters! I've seen a couple tornadoes up close and personal having lived in the Midwest all my life, but the scariest moment was when a tornado essentially ripped a house to shreds just about a mile from my home. A huge two-story farmhouse was flattened. It even sucked all the gravel off the gravel roads.
      July 28, 2017 9:40 PM MDT

Yes, as a teen, I watched the black sky coming, then I saw a flash of blue electricity as the power lines ripped away and the neighbors' garage spun upwards and scattered all over the place.  We just thought it was straight line wind but it was a small tornado. Fortunately, it passed us by but not before bending our TV antenna. 
      July 28, 2017 9:48 PM MDT

I've been through tornado warnings but I only remember seeing one actual tornado that was on the ground.  It was three years ago in early August and it was on the ground four miles from my house but fortunately it was off to the east so it was moving away from me.

I've seen more funnel clouds than actual tornadoes.  One night when I was 11 or 12 I was sleeping on my front porch and I woke up and saw a large funnel cloud lit up by the lightning.

My husband actually proposed to me during a tornado warning but it wasn't planned that way lol.
      July 28, 2017 10:18 PM MDT

Sounds like a romantic impulse decision on his part! Love that!
      July 28, 2017 10:24 PM MDT

It was pouring rain so we got completely drenched which was fun but we didn't know it was a tornado warning until we got back to the car and heard the emergency message on the radio.
      July 28, 2017 10:32 PM MDT

Oh my gosh. I love that! Especially because you made it out okay in the end ;)
      July 28, 2017 10:35 PM MDT

We were in Colorado Springs, Colorado but the robovoice on the radio said the tornado warning was for Woodland Park which was far enough away but that was really unusual because it's in the mountains so it's not a place where you would normally expect to have a tornado.
      July 28, 2017 10:42 PM MDT

No, unfortunately. I've seen 2 supercells that had potential to produce, but they didn't. If one ever comes close to my area I would probably go out and try to see it. I love tornadoes, I love watching tornado videos. 
      July 28, 2017 10:24 PM MDT

I've only encountered wimpy tornadoes. Most tornadoes I've experienced struck during hurricanes. Hurricanes seem to spit out little tornadoes left and right. I remember the eerie sounds they made and the wind got even worse, the doors would rattle and larger debris would go flying by the windows. Sometimes I would hear trees snapping and explosions from power poles. Luckily they were never strong enough to tear the house apart, except for the shingles on the roof. But I wouldn't want to be outside what with the debris and possibly electrified flood waters.
      July 29, 2017 6:18 AM MDT

Palm Sunday, 1965. It destroyed much of North end of our city. It was so bad, President Johnson came to visit and survey the damage.

This post was edited by Element 99 at July 29, 2017 10:15 AM MDT
      July 29, 2017 10:12 AM MDT

Tornado Alley is home.  I've been around them my whole life.  I have never seen one.  I would like to see one.  The joke is that people from my home state are the only ones in the country who walk out side to look for a funnel cloud.  
      July 29, 2017 5:20 PM MDT

not yet but weve had tornato warnings where i live
      July 29, 2017 5:47 PM MDT

I have seen the damage done by a tornado in town. But never we me on that side of town.  Like Thrifty, I also live in tornado alley and yes people do go outside to look. 

The closest I have come to damage, I was sleeping  about 10:00am (I worked nights back then). I heard something "fall on the metal roof"...I  did think anymore about it and went back to sleep.  When my husband  came home, he was all in a panic "Are you alright?" I said "I was fine. Why?" 
    He took me outside and showed me the roof had blown off the basement house. It was lying in the backyard. I had heard it as it came off....I just thought some stick fell on it.  I get teased to this day about be a heavy sleeper. 
      August 1, 2017 5:53 AM MDT