Discussion » Questions » Legal » If you was a judge would you sign off on this search warrent? Why/Why not?

If you was a judge would you sign off on this search warrent? Why/Why not?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/07/28/well-never-be-the-same-how-a-familys-hydroponic-tomato-garden-led-cops-to-raid-their-home/

I would not because there was absolutely no probable cause.

Posted - July 28, 2017

Responses

would not
    nope not at all
      July 29, 2017 2:15 AM MDT

I couldn't access the link but from the description I can only imagine that a judge had been misinformed based on circumstantial evidence?
    In the world we live in, even honest hearted judges, police and others in positions of authority that are trying to do the right thing make mistakes in judgement. Only when Jesus by means of God's Kingdom takes over the affairs of the earth, will perfect justice be served 100% of the time.

(Isaiah 11:1-5) A twig will grow out of the stump of Jesʹse, And a sprout from his roots will bear fruit.  2 And the spirit of Jehovah will settle upon him, The spirit of wisdom and of understanding, The spirit of counsel and of mightiness, The spirit of knowledge and of the fear of Jehovah.  3 And he will find delight in the fear of Jehovah. He will not judge by what appears to his eyes, Nor reprove simply according to what his ears hear.  4 He will judge the lowly with fairness, And with uprightness he will give reproof in behalf of the meek ones of the earth. He will strike the earth with the rod of his mouth And put the wicked to death with the breath of his lips.  5 Righteousness will be the belt around his waist, And faithfulness the belt of his hips.

(2 Timothy 3:1-4) But know this, that in the last days critical times hard to deal with will be here. 2 For men will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, haughty, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, disloyal, 3 having no natural affection, not open to any agreement, slanderers, without self-control, fierce, without love of goodness, 4 betrayers, headstrong, puffed up with pride, lovers of pleasures rather than lovers of God,
    (Luke 21:25, 26) “Also, there will be signs in the sun and moon and stars, and on the earth anguish of nations not knowing the way out because of the roaring of the sea and its agitation. 26 People will become faint out of fear and expectation of the things coming upon the inhabited earth, for the powers of the heavens will be shaken.

July 29, 2017 9:37 AM MDT

• Try this one:
    https://consumerist.com/2017/07/28/how-home-grown-tomatoes-and-misread-tea-leaves-led-to-pointless-police-raid-on-innocent-familys-home/
      July 29, 2017 10:02 AM MDT

If you really believe the bible, how about "By me kings reign, and princes decree justice. By me princes rule, and nobles, even all the judges of the earth"---doesn't that imply that civil authority is valid?

And if it is, shouldn't you know the procedure for obtaining a search warrant before you make a misleading comment about whether you think a judge has been misinformed?

Well, apparently not, since you usually arbitrarily pull out a bible verse with the phraseology that seems to agree with whatever position your espouse and choose to promulgate.

July 29, 2017 10:24 AM MDT

Are you serious? Who said civil authority isn't valid? Just because I don't think civil authority is perfect in no way says rather or not I think it is valid.

By your reasoning, does your comment about Hitler and Trump mean you don't think civil authority is valid? 
    https://answermug.com/forums/topic/35347/if-you-are-one-of-those-folks-who-says-people-have-to-earn-your/view/post_id/316398
    "tom jackson  Karen
    Well, yes it does actually.  You have Trump in The Apprentice providing good results and now you have Trump as president acting as he did in the apprentice---encouraging competition among his White House staff and making arbitrary decisions simply because he is in charge.   Hitler did things with good results.  Trump also does things with good results.  And the balance sheet on both shows that both are morally bankrupt."

Also, how does your Catholic Church understanding of your quote about Kings fit in with Hitler? 

Quote: "...shouldn't you know the procedure for obtaining a search warrant before you make a misleading comment about whether you think a judge has been misinformed?"

This is the info I had available:
    [If you was a judge would you sign off on this search warrent? Why/Why not?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/07/28/well-never-be-the-same-how-a-familys-hydroponic-tomato-garden-led-cops-to-raid-their-home/
    I would not because there was absolutely no probable cause.]

Did the tomato growers have something illegal? I couldn't tell from the description. 
    As I said "I couldn't access the link but from the description I can only imagine that a judge had been misinformed based on circumstantial evidence?"

This post was edited by texasescimo at July 29, 2017 1:56 PM MDT
      July 29, 2017 1:44 PM MDT

• Not real sure how the bible ties into this...but , ok
      July 29, 2017 10:35 AM MDT

From the description, I was imagining that someone had suffered an injustice by an honest mistake. Not everyone knows that injustice will be done away with.
      July 29, 2017 1:45 PM MDT

Nope.  There was no probable cause.  The judge should have asked where the lab results were.  Unfortunately, most search warrants are rubber-stamped and most are served by SWAT teams today.  SMH
      July 29, 2017 10:01 AM MDT

maybe not
      July 29, 2017 5:39 PM MDT