Active Now

Malizz
 Christmas Cheer
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Sports » What sports did you play in highschool and why?

What sports did you play in highschool and why?

I played basketball and I was good, my friend and I used to practice all summer.
After we won our second game of the season one boy had a pop bottle mixed with alcohol in the change room and so we each took a small drink to celebrate our win.
The boy who had the alcohol left the pop bottle left it in the change room and our coach found it and smelled the bottle and notified the Principal and he suspended everyone on the team from playing any school sports for the rest of the year.
We learned our lesson.
We had no basketball team and nothing to do so we got really good at drinking.
Anyway that was the end of my basketball dreams.
Did you play on a team and how did it go for you?

Posted - July 30, 2017

Responses

That is the greatest movie I never saw.  I always mean to get around to it, but it takes a lot of grit to sit through that movie. 

I love basketball.  So that makes it doubly interesting to me.

I have never been an athlete. I have always done anything with the body alone.  I don't dance, save modern dance in high school where I got to move and dance alone.  I like to work alone.  I like to walk.  I like to work out and I like to do yoga.

I get kind of nervous when I have to compete or work with a group of people in an athletic activity.  I wish I would have had more exposure to that as a younger person.

July 30, 2017 6:30 PM MDT

• Cool, I'm kind of a loner too these days.
    My son plays basketball with me at least.
    Yeah, that is a crazy movie and it came out when I was a teenager.
    That movie was pretty realistic as far as portraying drug addiction.
    Based on a true story I think and I remember an eerie scene in that movie where he has a dream about walking into his classroom in a black trench coat and shooting everyone.
    That movie came out in 1995 and Columbine didn't happen until 1999 I think?
    I always wonder if this movie inspired those guys, it's kinda creepy.
    Anyway thanks for sharing.
    I think yoga's cool, very relaxing to watch on TV. : )
      July 30, 2017 7:09 PM MDT

None. (Bookworm. Word Nerd.)

~
      July 30, 2017 6:56 PM MDT

• That must be why you have awesome punctuation, spelling and grammar skills huh?
      July 30, 2017 7:13 PM MDT

• Shocking :)
      July 30, 2017 7:48 PM MDT

High school
    track and field
    Pole vaulting
    was my thing
    Terrible though
    only made 10' 3"
    or was it 9'6"
    LOL like to think it was 10'3"
    won first place once
    cuz no one else competed...hahaha
      July 30, 2017 7:20 PM MDT

• Awesome!!!
    I never got to try pole vaulting, I don't think our school even had that.
      July 30, 2017 7:43 PM MDT

Track ~ I was a very fast sprinter

But I would have tried out for the basketball team if Leonardo DiCaprio and Mark Wahlberg were on my high school team!
    ;)
      July 30, 2017 7:31 PM MDT

• Great, I was more of a long distance runner myself.
    I know, those guys are cool actors huh?
    They did a great job in this movie and have had a ton of success.
      July 30, 2017 7:49 PM MDT

Long distance! Cool!

I agree with you about DiCaprio and Wahlberg in the movie and about the movie itself! A compelling movie for me. I best clarify since I can get goofed up sometimes -- I'm almost completely sure the photo in your question is from "Basketball Diaries."

July 30, 2017 7:56 PM MDT

• You're correct.
    That movie came out when I was a teenager and kind of a wild skinny kid partying and playing basketball so we kinda related to it.
    It was ahead of it's time in some ways and it still really holds up if you watch it today.
    DiCaprio was relatively new and the movie was kind of a cult hit, but I kinda think it was his best performance ever.
    That movie sticks with you and anyone who ever saw it seems to remember it.

July 30, 2017 8:07 PM MDT

I certainly like it, yes!

DiCaprio is awfully good in it, I agree. I especially like him in "What's Eating Gilbert Grape."
      July 30, 2017 8:10 PM MDT

What's is my favorite Leo movie to this day.  He was astounding in it. 

Compare his portrayal of a retarded adolescent to Sean Penn's idiotic portrayal of a retarded adult in that movie with Dakota Fanning?

I thought Sean was a great actor until I saw that lemon.  God was he embarrassing in it.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at August 2, 2017 11:45 AM MDT
      August 2, 2017 11:10 AM MDT

"Astounding" -- that's for sure! I remember when I saw "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" I was unfamiliar with Leo and I just assumed they hired an actor with those actual challenges. He was that believable to me! Everything he did in that movie comes across so natural and real to me.

I really liked the entire movie, too.
    :)

I haven't seen "I Am Sam." I like Penn as an actor so I think I'll avoid that one on your suggestion, Shar to the Rona!
    :)
      August 2, 2017 11:49 AM MDT

no ..because i had no interest. my gym teacher told me i should go out for track....but i hated to run then and i still hate to run.

i liked to walk then and now....but thats not a sport..

and these days...and since ive been in high school...the only time im interested in watching any sport is if one of my grandkids is playing.and they play soccer, football, baseball, basketball....whatever happens to be the sport of the season. generally there are 3 different teams that i have to split my time up with.

July 30, 2017 7:45 PM MDT

I always wanted walking to be a high school sport ;) I think the last time I ran anywhere for anything was over a year ago...and I'm sure it didn't last long. 
      August 1, 2017 7:05 PM MDT

• Played volleyball and took dance outside of school until I was about 15. I also took figure skating when I was in public school. I discovered "boys about 15 and gave all that up :) should have stuck with sports. 
      July 30, 2017 7:50 PM MDT

• Wow!
    You sound like you've got dance skills.
    I was never great at volleyball for some reason, just basketball.
    Yeah, I kinda went girl crazy too and lost interest in basketball and everything else, LoL!

July 30, 2017 8:17 PM MDT

• Lol:) i think thats pretty much normal for most teenagers. And Uh uh I got dance skills  :) I started off taking break dancing class when I was in grade one because I wanted to learn the moon walk :) but I was only girl in that class and I didn't like that then, cos I didn't. then I moved to jazz which would be called hip hop dance now. I can still moonwalk, so I got that going for me :)
      July 30, 2017 8:25 PM MDT

• LoL!
    Moonwalk eh?
    I used to dance around to the song "Footloose" because my family laughed and gave me attention when I did and my sister and I would dance to Bon Jovi songs when we were pretty little in the early 80s and she got me to dance to some songs from the movie "Grease 2" as a child then she dressed me up as a girl against my will, but that's another story LoL!
    So I learned to dance a little in highschool just 2 step and fox trot and the jive I think in gym class.
    My ex didn't dance so I hadn't danced in 15 years.
    Recently I went on YouTube and started learning how to dance in the clubs.
    I'm not going clubbing, but I just wanna learn a few great moves so I'm prepared to dance if I meet someone.
    So that's my dance history.

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 1, 2017 6:47 PM MDT
      July 31, 2017 12:07 AM MDT

• Moonwalk eh :) that's hilarious and sweet you used to dress up like a girl and do songs with your sister from
    grease 2 :) I loved that movie when I was a kid, I don't know many people who have seen it :)... my sister and i used to recreate song scenes from that movie too. We are both girls though , so probably easier on us :) Now I can't stop thinking about that movie!! my most favourite one from it .....

https://youtu.be/fVFR_Hjj4ik

August 1, 2017 6:50 PM MDT

• Oh my god, LoL!
    I haven't seen that in years and I had such a crush on Michelle Pfeiffer when I was little.
    We used to do a scene that was in a bowling alley I believe?
    I would slide across the floor and we'd sing and dance and do the whole scene because she wanted me to.
    We didn't have many movies so when she was supposed to baby sit me as soon as my mom left my sister would sneek out to her friends and before she left she'd sit me in front of the tv and say "just watch Grease 2, I'll be back in the time it takes to watch it twice."LoL!
    If we watched a horror movie like Friday the 13th we'd be so scared that we had to watch Grease 2 before bed to make us feel better.
    I'm 37 now and she's 43 I think, I should totally send her some clips from that movie.
    Thanks, that clip brought back  fun memories of my sister. : )
      August 2, 2017 10:58 AM MDT

For some reason I'm not surprised at all that you can moonwalk... Would love to see this one day *hint hint*
      August 1, 2017 7:07 PM MDT

• lol :) I should upload a video to youtube then!!! No , no I should not :p 
      August 1, 2017 7:10 PM MDT