Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Random Knowledge » If you lived in a commune, what skills of yours would the group benefit from most?

If you lived in a commune, what skills of yours would the group benefit from most?

Dig deep. This Nat Geo article talks about how one guy started up a goat circus to provide entertainment to his group. 
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/photography/proof/2017/07/commune-farm-sustainability-mineral-virginia/ 

Posted - July 30, 2017

Responses

I was expecting a real "feel good story", not a picture of a woman slaughtering the duck she'd raised since it was a baby! :(

I find this a fascinating and appealing concept, though it would have to be a vegetarian commune. I suppose I would be most useful as a teacher or counselor, though I'm not sure it would be my preference. 

July 30, 2017 10:39 PM MDT

Sorry. That part was hard to take- I agree. It popped up in my news feeds and communes have always fascinated me as well, but they almost always have some crazy guy running them or aren't really about coming together, but about power for the one in charge. This one happened to be spurred by a Nat Geo photographer, so I think it was more geared to telling the raw visual story. Anyone can write a happy commune story (or even a scary one), but capturing the reality of it in a unique way... It's a little harder. 

I don't think I'd be cool slaughtering my food either, but I could see having chickens or ducks for eggs. 

If teaching counseling wouldn't be your preference, what would be?
      July 31, 2017 12:13 AM MDT

Yeah, beware of the crazy guy running things. I think that another issue would be that not everyone has the same work ethic. And then you have to factor in how people tend to THINK they're doing a bigger share of the work, even if that's not really the case. We're so self-centered by nature, you know? 

I'd probably want to split my time between being the official commune photographer and playing with the animals, if I had things my way. :)
      July 31, 2017 9:45 AM MDT

Exactly! The article briefly touched on how the community was democratic and that everyone got a say, but it didn't discuss how to ensure contributions were equal. I have to wonder how that all plays out in a true commune... if people do largely contribute from the joy of being part of it or from self-motivation for other reasons, or if volunteerism leads more to certain people carrying an unfair load. I wish there were more psychological studies on it. 

Anywho, thanks for expanding on your answer. :)
      July 31, 2017 5:25 PM MDT

Hey lady, I'm my own goat circus.    

July 30, 2017 10:47 PM MDT

I could keep everyone's computer running .

July 30, 2017 11:22 PM MDT

Yay! Let's hope there's Wi-Fi too.
      July 31, 2017 12:13 AM MDT

If there isnt, i can set us up. ;D
      July 31, 2017 12:15 AM MDT

I would be great for bodywork.   I am a pretty decent caregiver/nurse.    I would be great as a cook.  I would be great as a domestic goddess.

July 30, 2017 11:25 PM MDT

Did you work for Dr. Ben Dover Shar to the Rona?

July 30, 2017 11:34 PM MDT

All the womenfolk could take turns making sammiches for me. (Please, stop with all the profuse flattery and gratitude, you're embarrassing me.)

~
      July 31, 2017 12:02 AM MDT

July 31, 2017 12:09 AM MDT

That's right, Baby, shake your sammich-maker for Papa.
    ~
      July 31, 2017 5:57 AM MDT

• Image result for eye roll gif
      July 31, 2017 4:22 AM MDT

As a person I naturally soothe and make people feel better. People say I create harmony where there is chaos - it was one of the reasons I was asked to work in the kitchen at the school where I used to work - the place was full of tensions and temperaments.. I am a libra and because of that I tend to see all viewpoints and perspectives (lol I know some people on here wouldn't agree with that!) I can see both sides of an argument when it comes to human emotions and work to help each understand the other's perspective.  So much misunderstanding can occur when people think someone else thinks, or means this or that when they don't.  

I am said to be empathic and very open minded. I don't judge easily, (again people on here may disagree!) and I am very tolerant of other's differences.  These are all good things in a commune situation.   I adapt easily to suit the setting and can be whatever is needed.

I am also a hard worker.. and quite practical... hard work wouldn't bother me.. I do that all the time anyway. And I am inventive... good at coming up with innovative solutions to problems and improving things.
      July 31, 2017 1:51 AM MDT

You're in! The first commune meting is Tuesday. lol
      July 31, 2017 5:26 PM MDT

I read about 72 acres of land. Amazing, they must be very wealthy to afford that
      July 31, 2017 2:53 AM MDT

• I don't think I'd do well in a commune, I really value my alone time. If I had no other choice, I'd probably be better in the kitchen, I like to cook and I'm not too bad at it. 
      July 31, 2017 4:30 AM MDT

Ham and chees on wheat. You're assigned sammich duty every Tuesday. 
    ~
      July 31, 2017 5:58 AM MDT

• Sure, gather the KIDS and I'll get their lunch.....the adults are on their own for lunch.....
      July 31, 2017 6:48 AM MDT

(cheese)
      July 31, 2017 8:08 AM MDT

No thanks, I already ate.
      July 31, 2017 8:31 AM MDT

• I KNOW...  but that's what you said.  I was just using your unique language. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at July 31, 2017 6:44 PM MDT
      July 31, 2017 6:43 PM MDT

Youve already been voted off the island for refusing to make sammiches for me. Besides, who ever said I'm an adult?
    ~
      August 27, 2017 12:34 PM MDT