Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » It matters not one bit whom you really are. All that matters is the view others have of you. True/untrue matters not. Why?

It matters not one bit whom you really are. All that matters is the view others have of you. True/untrue matters not. Why?

Posted - July 31, 2017

Responses

• I guess I used to live that way, but after my life has changed in many ways I now feel like it's necessary for me to leave my old way of worrying about how other people view me.
    My need to conform and please people was really holding me back.
    I still try to be a good person, but I do it because that's who I want to be.
    I feel liberated and free at times now because I just do my own thing regardless of people's perceptions of me.
    I guess it kinda started when I found out that my ex was making things up about me and spreading it around.
    I felt defeated and helpless because I had just been taking care of my son and working alone in the evenings for years and didn't have the social circles that she has and I couldn't defend myself.
    I just kind of gave up and let people think whatever lies she told them.
    She lies about anything and everything just for attention sometimes.
    I can't win so I might as well just go on living and be myself and not care what anyone thinks because that's all I can do.
    In a sick way it's kind of a gift to be able to let go of trying to fit in and be popular and prove myself to people.
    Now I live free and I kinda follow this adage: This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at August 1, 2017 2:03 AM MDT
      July 31, 2017 8:29 AM MDT

Thank you for sharing whom you really are with us Truthseeker. I appreciate it a lot. I was a painfully shy child. I  used to care what people thought but I don't any longer and haven't for a very long time. You live your truth and share it because you have to be whom you are to make life meaningful. Some people will be drawn to you and relate to you and appreciate you as you are.  Some won't. So what? Who cares? The only time it will matter is if someone has control over you..someone who can make your life difficult like a boss for example. Otherwise people are what they are and will believe/think whatever suits them. Be assured they will always put themselves in a good light in the right. Once again. Who cares? Good for you! Being able to look at yourself in the mirror and not flinch or cringe is important. People come and go in your life but you are there for the long haul. Happy Tuesday m'dear! :)
      August 1, 2017 2:09 AM MDT

• Aww...thanks. : )
      August 1, 2017 2:16 AM MDT

You don't need to thank me for stating the obvious Truthseeker. Thank you for being you and open and willing to share part of yourself with us! : )   ((hugs)).
      August 1, 2017 2:25 AM MDT

This is not an either/or situation. Sometimes it matters, sometimes it does not. It depends on what you are trying to accomplish.
      July 31, 2017 8:37 AM MDT

Aww noooooo what really matters is what you think of yourself...how you see yourself is known to affect your behaviour and actions.. lol unless you are a delusional narcissist and in that case how others think of you is the important thing :P
      July 31, 2017 11:54 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply Addb and Happy Tuesday to thee! :)
      August 1, 2017 2:10 AM MDT

•  If I know that I treat people with the respect that is due them and I know that my integrity is intact, they can attack and belittle me all they want because GOD knows and I know who and what I am. It is at that point where I stop caring what people think of me.
      July 31, 2017 12:26 PM MDT

If you are running for office, it's pretty much true---but if you are seeking an eternal reward, it's considerably less important---unless you are bearing "false witness."
      July 31, 2017 1:18 PM MDT

I dunno tom. I think it goes beyond the realm of politics. For me there is no choice. I am what I am. I say what I think. Otherwise what's the point of engaging with other people? From time to time I get "you should" or "you shouldn't" or "why do you?". Always from those who are less than civil, cordial, polite. I don't "you should/shouldn't" anyone. People are what they are and whom they are and we either accept them or reject them as they are. But it's more about us than them. I see it in business and in social circles and in day-to-day life and of course on Answermug and on Answerbag way back when in the good old days. Some folks demand that you agree with them OR ELSE they turn on you and are always unpleasant. As Popeye said long long ago. "I yam what I yam and that's all that I yam" or words to that effect. Me too. If I'm not true to myself how can I be true to anyone else? Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday!  :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 1, 2017 2:28 AM MDT
      August 1, 2017 2:17 AM MDT

it should matter who you really are
      July 31, 2017 1:56 PM MDT

• Perception is reality
      August 2, 2017 7:19 PM MDT