Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Would you be willing to give up a body part if you were almost certain it would develop cancer?

Would you be willing to give up a body part if you were almost certain it would develop cancer?

My family has cancer. My grandma had just about every type, but it began as ovarian and breast cancer. She made it to 71. She had four kids- My mom, who had a debilitating stroke at 55, my uncle, who died of brain cancer at 56, my aunt, who had the same issues my grandmother did and died at 54, and my second aunt, who is slightly younger than the one who just passed.

My aunt who passed got tested and discovered she was a carrier of a gene mutation that almost always results in breast and ovarian cancer, meaning my grandmother had it too. My mother refused to get tested, but my aunt insisted that I get tested and I don't have it. However, my other (living) aunt told me today that she does. She called herself "a ticking time bomb." I can only imagine what she's thinking right now.

During the time while I was waiting for my own test results, I had already made up my mind that I'd gladly hunt down a doctor who was willing to remove any "parts" that were likely to develop cancer, but my aunt has not done so, even though she is almost certain to get it.

What would you do? Live with it? Hope for the best? Proactively have parts removed? 

Posted - August 3, 2017

Responses

I lost a grandfather and uncle to lung cancer from smoking.  I smoked 56 years then 2 years ago found I had stage 1 lung cancer;  tumor removed by surgery,  follow up CT scan every 6 months now. Certain body parts might be wise not to have removed. 
    Anyway I have found it interesting to study and learn a bit about cancer -how it can begin,  how it behaves, and how to try prevent  (re)occurance. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/www.rd.com/health/conditions/how-to-prevent-cancer/amp/
      August 3, 2017 2:53 AM MDT

I'm sorry for your loss. Glad you caught yours early and are doing ok ow.

I think it goes without saying that you probably wouldn't move your brain or lungs as a "preventative" measure. 
      August 3, 2017 3:10 PM MDT

• I suspect this is a decision one could not make until faced with it.  
      August 3, 2017 7:51 AM MDT

i might but its not always guaranteed that you'll get something just cause its in your genes
      August 3, 2017 2:43 PM MDT

You are so correct.
      August 3, 2017 8:28 PM MDT

Wow, what a difficult scenario. I applaud your courage in getting tested! 

Hard to know what I'd do unless faced with the situation but I tend to believe that if I carried the gene, after seeking out the advice of learned medical professionals, I'd probably make the same decision as you and proceed with surgery.   
      August 3, 2017 3:02 PM MDT

I don't know if getting tested is courageous, though having to commit to one path or the other after a positive result would probably be. It's a tough call regardless. 
      August 3, 2017 3:14 PM MDT

Being the "ostrich with head in sand" type, I find it very courageous. I picture myself climbing the walls just waiting for the test results.  
      August 3, 2017 3:19 PM MDT