Active Now

Malizz
Slartibartfast
Discussion » Questions » History » Is the promise/certainty of the collapse of life as we know it exciting to you? Wouldjaliketa experience it firsthand? If you can?

Is the promise/certainty of the collapse of life as we know it exciting to you? Wouldjaliketa experience it firsthand? If you can?

How would you like it? Nuclear war, civil wars breaking out so that people get to kill their neighbors, the earth exploding from internal pressures like earthquakes or lava floes from deep within or comets heading directly for earth from other places in the universe or germ warfare, chemical warfare, starvation, deadly disease, climate change in the extreme so you can freeze to death or die from excessive heat? There must be many ways to annihilate and be annihilated.

Posted - August 8, 2017

Responses

dont sound exciting to me
      August 8, 2017 3:43 PM MDT

Just be glad the Earth is not going to explode, comet impact is possible but ever so likely, and whichever way the climate is changing most of us won't live long enough to see its worst effects anyway. 

Our worst potential enemy is our own species, not geology or astronomy.
      September 17, 2017 7:36 PM MDT

Are you familiar with the comic strip POGO and the cartoonist Walt Kelly? Many years ago he said
    "We has met  the enemy and they is us". I agree with thee and Walt. It seems to me that is a perfect example of  stupidity. Not ignorance because ignorance can be remedied with knowledge. We are here alone together in a great unknown and do we work together to figure things out? No. We compete and argue and fight and kill. I see no logic in that at all. Wiser minds would realize the futility of that but as a species humans leave much to be desired intellectually. Just my opinion. Being human I count myself among them of course. SIGH. Thank you for your reply Durdle and Happy Monday!:)
      September 18, 2017 2:22 AM MDT

No, I don't know POGO and Walt Kelly, but I agree with your sentiments.

It's almost midnight on Wednesday here at the moment, so Happy Thursday, Rosie!
      September 20, 2017 5:00 PM MDT

Hi there m'dear. I guess you have heard that the world is going to end Saturday, September 23? How do you plan to prepare for it? Apparently a 60-mile wide comet or some other celestial body will crash down upon earth and destroy us all. They don't give an exact time of impact so it will be hard to plan. I wonder if this is the zillionith time the world is supposed to end? Per the scientists 7 billion years from now it will come true. Earth's demise. Or maybe it will come true on Saturday. Mexico has had two enormously gigantic earthquakes in the last two weeks. One was over 8 on the Richter scale and the recent one was a 7.1. As you know the Cat 4 Maria hurricane wiped out the island of Puerto Rico and supposedly it will take 4-6 months to restore power. It also hit other islands and did more damage. We had Harvey in Texas then Irma attacked Florida and the Virgin Islands. Jose did some damage. I don't know what happened to Katia. What's next? Oh. Right. The world is gonna end! Thank  you for your reply and Happy Thursday. Yeah. Walt Kelly was a philosopher-cartoonist. Pogo was his cartoon strip character. Truer words were never spoken. We are the enemy of ourselves. Why is that? :) This post was edited by RosieG at September 21, 2017 3:05 AM MDT
      September 21, 2017 3:03 AM MDT

Why are we our own enemy? I don't know if anyone can answer that. Greed? Vanity? Certainly those but I'm sure there are many other reasons.

Curious how no-one else seems to have reported this supposed comet or similar strike... Who are the "They"?

Yes, the news over here has been full of accounts of the earthquakes and hurricanes, and all our thoughts are with all those many people affected. One report explained Mexico City is particularly fragile because it is built on the deep sediments of a former lake bed, and such ground tends to act as a sort of fluid in an earthquake, worsening the effects. 
      September 21, 2017 7:09 PM MDT

I will Google it and get back to you.
      September 22, 2017 4:13 AM MDT