Active Now

Spunky
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » HYPOCRITE! Create a commission to handle the opiod crisis while beating Congress up for not repealing insurance coverage! Seriously?

HYPOCRITE! Create a commission to handle the opiod crisis while beating Congress up for not repealing insurance coverage! Seriously?

Posted - August 8, 2017

Responses

Some rich kid probably overdosed, so his parents gave Trump a bunch of money to support "treatment programs".
      August 8, 2017 8:30 AM MDT

Ya know what Mr.B?  That makes sense to me. Nothing else does. Good job for thinking of that! Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday to thee! :)
      August 9, 2017 2:50 AM MDT

South Park was making fun of this kind of mentality.   While Donald is cashing in on this kind of mentality.

August 8, 2017 8:35 AM MDT

SIGH. Whatta guy. :( Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday. And for the graphic as well! :)
      August 9, 2017 2:51 AM MDT

that dont make sense to me either
      August 8, 2017 3:23 PM MDT

some 40,000 people die in traffic accidents every year, Why is that not a crisis?

Opiate kill a lot fewer people, and are mostly caused by misuse of Opiates Prescribed by MDs

Read about it: https://www.drugabuse.gov/drugs-abuse/opioids/opioid-crisis
      August 8, 2017 7:58 PM MDT

That doesn't take into account the number of people who start out on opiates but "graduate" to street drugs (ie: heroin) when they can no longer get their hands on opiates. It also doesn't factor in crimes attributed to users trying to get cash to purchase those street drugs. A lot of crime, deadly crime perpetrated by desperate people. Not to mention drug dealers, drug distributors, drug cartels, and all the malignancy they bring to society.
      August 8, 2017 8:10 PM MDT

So how would you go about getting some 'street drugs' ? Do you even know which part of town to visit? Would the pushers bother to approach you if you did ? Street pusher is not a High Profile job, they cannot spend the day shouting "I got Horse for sale, come and get it" as if they were selling fish. I dont think 'graduating to street drugs' is a likely scenario for people who got hooked by prescription drugs because they were in constant pain. Young thrill seekers are way more likely to end up going that route.
      August 9, 2017 3:17 AM MDT

No Jacob, that's exactly the scenario. And a large part of what makes it a crisis. Those street drugs are readily available in cities and towns across America. Many have been seriously affected by the addiction of their populations and the ancillary crime that occurs as a result. I know exactly which part of town to visit, down to the apartment complex. Of course dealers would approach me. They hang out on the streets and know exactly what people are doing there. Some police departments devote serious time to "buy and bust" operations. Or maybe I've called a dealer after getting their number from a friend of a friend, or someone I work with. There could come a time when I get my very own dealer. 

Doctors overprescribe highly addictive opiates, people get hooked, then reach a point where their doctor will no longer prescribe them. Some "doctor shop" for a while, getting other doctors to write them prescriptions. But that can only go on for so long. Then what? Pills are expensive and many find that a drug like heroin will produce the same results for a lot cheaper. These are not "young thrill seekers." Just average human beings stuck in a vicious cycle, and part of a very serious crisis facing America today.  
      August 9, 2017 4:44 AM MDT

You did not answer the question I asked. I cannot answer yours. Can you answer mine? Happy Wednesday anyway.
      August 9, 2017 2:52 AM MDT

No, I do not think he is serious, He is throwing up flim-flam in the hope that it will get people to forget about Tweets, and Russian connections and all those other embarrassing things.
      August 9, 2017 2:58 AM MDT