Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Television and Movies » What film did you find very unsettling?

What film did you find very unsettling?

Posted - August 10, 2017

Responses

Yes.  That one and the other is Gone Baby Gone.  It's too unsettling to even get into.

Awakenings -  Real depressing. 

Sophie's Choice.  Suicide thoughts will come after this one.

Terms of Endearment.  Still gets to me. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at August 10, 2017 9:27 PM MDT
      August 10, 2017 5:08 PM MDT

Yes, unsettling choices. (Though I've not seen "Awakenings" and "Gone Baby Gone."
      August 10, 2017 5:17 PM MDT

Gone Baby Gone made me want to just get it out of my mind and I could not.

But Awakenings?    I felt like shit for a week after that one.  I was newly sober and feeling very raw at the time and I was alone one Sunday in a strange house I moved into with someone I barely knew to get away from my drunk gay boyfriend.

Ah, such sweet memories.  The lowest point of my life before the last few years, that is.  But I'm in a much better place and alcohol does not play any part in controlling my life any more. 

So, instead I got to see first-hand what booze does to you when you don't quit it, through my demented brother's eyes.

I digressed.
      August 10, 2017 5:59 PM MDT

Sophie's Choice had me a MESS. :( 
      August 10, 2017 5:22 PM MDT

So true, probably one the most unsettling films of all time.
      August 10, 2017 5:38 PM MDT

Oh man.  No kidding.  I don't know what was worse, Kevin Kline's tragic character or Sophie's choice she had to make.  God that was a tragedy that probably happened somewhere. 
      August 10, 2017 6:01 PM MDT

It probably happened at concentration camps on a regular basis. 
      August 10, 2017 6:54 PM MDT

Honestly knowing that was most likely the reality for innocent people and not simply just a cinematic experience is heartbreaking. 
      August 11, 2017 12:14 AM MDT

The Human Centipede 
      August 10, 2017 5:11 PM MDT

The ONLY movie in which EVERY person in my life, of those whom I knew saw it, said to me " Do NOT watch that movie."
    And I haven't.
      August 10, 2017 5:16 PM MDT

Good choice, honestly. I watched the first two. Not sure why, because I couldn't get those horrific images out of my head for weeks. 
      August 10, 2017 5:19 PM MDT

Yes, my friends have said to me very similar things that you've said, mk1217, about the movie.
      August 10, 2017 5:41 PM MDT

I thought this was a joke from South Park.  They made this distasteful episode about a human centipede.  I had no idea.  OH NO.  OH NO. OH NO. 

Maybe we could make Adolph Hitler pay this punishment.  No.  Not even him. 
      August 10, 2017 6:02 PM MDT

Oh it's so, so, so, SO bad. Not only did they make one film about a human centipede, they proceeded to make a second in which a man has a total sexual obsession with the first film. Neat, huh?
      August 11, 2017 12:17 AM MDT

By far, for me, of films I've seen, the most disturbing and unsettling is director Michael Haneke's original 1997 Austrian/German film "Funny Games."
    But I find it an absolute masterpiece!

(not Haneke's American remake of the same name; I've not seen it, though I hear it's basically a shot-for-shot remake; the cast and language being the only difference. I say, "Why tinker with perfection?")

Actor Arno Frisch in 1997 "Funny Games" --  he is superb, as is rest of cast
    I'll attempt to post a picture; if I fail, I fail
    UPDATE!! Finally I got a picture of Frisch from the movie to post! Handsome guy!

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at August 10, 2017 9:28 PM MDT
      August 10, 2017 5:22 PM MDT

I'm going to put this on my list of movies to watch. I seem to like "unsettling."
      August 10, 2017 5:24 PM MDT

I highly recommend it! As much as I respect the movie, I've only watched it once -- at home on DVD. I simply can't stand the thought of watching it again.(I own it on DVD, though.) At one point during watching it, I got so upset that I threw the remote at the TV, shouting and swearing. Then I turned the movie off and took a walk until I calmed down. Then I came back and finished watching. Like I said, no movie has unsettled, upset and disturbed me more than this movie. But it's a perfect film to me. And absolutely no gore.

Also, like Alfred Hitchcock, Haneke is a VERY visual director - - one HAS to keep watching or you'll miss VERY important things. That's what I like about Haneke and Hitchcock - - they expect the audience to actually pay attention and watch their films.
    :)

Sorry for using upper-case letters. I don't mean to shout, only emphasize.

Interestingly, several people in my life who have seen 1997 "Funny Games" have had various different-from-me experiences watching it. It all fascinates me.
    :) This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at August 10, 2017 6:09 PM MDT
      August 10, 2017 5:35 PM MDT

• These are some creepy, disturbing, unsettling movies.
    The Impossible is a good movie, Hours is ok, but the rest watch at your own discression I'm not recommending any of them especially "I Spit on Your Grave" it's about a woman being victimized so I didn't like it that's for sure but these are some unsettling movies that I remember.
      August 10, 2017 5:46 PM MDT

Thanks for posting those. Glad to say I haven't seen any of them. I see enough "unsettling" in real life. Would rather not see it onscreen.   
      August 10, 2017 6:58 PM MDT

I dont watch unsettling movies. This one i loved and comes close to being unsettling in some parts. Kind of.  I only watched it because Keona Reeves was in it and im in lurv with him. yum. ;)

August 10, 2017 6:08 PM MDT

Looks interesting. Thanks mister.  
      August 10, 2017 6:59 PM MDT

HAHAHHAHAHH No problemo Voman.  ;D
      August 10, 2017 7:15 PM MDT

• Here's another one I just thought of.
    I watched it because I like Amy Adams, but I remember this movie stressing me out a lot.
    I don't need anymore stress in my life, LoL!
      August 10, 2017 6:34 PM MDT

Both of these were great films, true, anger invoking.

google.com

This post was edited by Thriftymaid at August 10, 2017 9:30 PM MDT
      August 10, 2017 6:37 PM MDT