Discussion » Questions » Environment » Kilimanjaro still has snow and the Arctic still has ice but global alarmists insist Al Gore's predictions are coming true if not already

Kilimanjaro still has snow and the Arctic still has ice but global alarmists insist Al Gore's predictions are coming true if not already

true. Why? Data is inconclusive.

Posted - August 12, 2017

Responses

I believe "alarmist" is the key word there. Things happen, but not always on man's timetable. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be taken seriously. Nor does it mean steps shouldn't be taken to slow them down. Or reverse them if at all possible.

Some people have a genetic predisposition to cancer. Doesn't mean they have cancer right this minute. They might never get cancer. But they'd be foolish not to get check-ups and take care of themselves. If global warming scientists are seeing even the beginnings of "illness," why not take the same approach with nature?

August 12, 2017 8:10 PM MDT

awareness is inclusive though
      August 13, 2017 2:46 AM MDT

Figures can't lie. I'm no scientist, but I can do simple arithmetic.
      August 13, 2017 3:31 AM MDT

The corollary to your first sentence is "but liars sure can figure" . . . .   
      August 14, 2017 7:26 PM MDT

Mean ocean temperatures have risen steadily over the last thirty years and the world's largest colony organism, Australia's Great Barrier Reef, is dying. No lie.
      August 14, 2017 8:00 PM MDT

Yes, there is still permafrost in the Arctic, but the depth and dimensions of it is thinning and getting smaller.  There is a reason why the polar bears are losing their habitat.  Surely you must have read about the giant crack in the ice that has caused a major sized iceberg to break off. 
      August 13, 2017 5:17 AM MDT

Or the holes appearing in Siberia.

Or the expedition to sail two boats to the North Pole ... something never before possible, until all the ice melted.
      August 14, 2017 10:06 AM MDT

Those examples, too.  There is plenty of evidence that the climate is changing - just plenty of people who are skeptical about it.
      August 14, 2017 10:44 AM MDT

What I find most frightening ... is that previously unknown bacteria and viruses are being released from the melting permafrost.
      August 14, 2017 11:26 AM MDT

That is pretty scary especially when you consider that we already have superbugs that are not responding to the antibiotics that are already on the market. 
      August 14, 2017 6:56 PM MDT

not sure why
      August 13, 2017 5:21 PM MDT

Sea ice in both the Arctic and Antartic has reached record lows.
    https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/arctic-antarctic-sea-ice-polar-global-warming-climate-change-india-alaska-a7458881.html
      August 14, 2017 9:53 AM MDT

Means nothing in regard to the subject. Antarctic sea ice was at its maximum less than 3-years ago (September 2014). That's less than 1/10 the time period normally considered as a "climatic trend".Here's a link to a more credible source than the one you refer to . . . 

https://www.nasa.gov/content/goddard/antarctic-sea-ice-reaches-new-record-maximum This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at August 14, 2017 1:45 PM MDT
      August 14, 2017 11:14 AM MDT

Quotation from your article:
    “The planet as a whole is doing what was expected in terms of warming. Sea ice as a whole is decreasing as expected, but just like with global warming, not every location with sea ice will have a downward trend in ice extent,” Parkinson said.
    In other words, this does not disprove man-made global warming.
      August 18, 2017 8:22 AM MDT

It also does not prove anything, which is what I'm pointing out to those that can think and reason. a LOT of pertinent data is missing. For example, it doesn't show the % delta between the max and the minimum areas covered. Nor does it show any thickness data between those two "measurements".  So it doesn't show much.

It does demonstrate that some changes in the ice pack can occur over time, sometimes over short periods of time. (We have no comparative data on ice pack sizes prior to the early 1960's, just "guesstimates".) It also shows that we have no idea as to what causes it, just a repeating cycle that's occurred over the last 1,000 millennia.

But what the hell . . . if we can blame it on human activity we can use guilt to burden those humans for fun and profit. (How much does merry ole' England stand to gain financially from selling those "carbon credits"? God know that the UK has plenty of those to sell because they've got nothing else to offer.)
      August 18, 2017 10:17 AM MDT

Don't bother me. I'm taking my boat and heading for Denver. Al tells me that the "street" fishing is great there.
      August 14, 2017 1:46 PM MDT