Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » High-born, low-born, untouchables. What is the caste system in India? Are people color-coded there? How do you differentiate among them?

High-born, low-born, untouchables. What is the caste system in India? Are people color-coded there? How do you differentiate among them?

In America we are all color-coded for ease of identification. That way you know at a glance whom to like, whom to hate. Saves a lot of getting-to-know-you time. SIGH

Posted - August 13, 2017

Responses

I am not an expert but Indians traditionally had marks on their foreheads that signified their caste. 
      August 13, 2017 9:20 AM MDT

Oh. I have seen small red marks on foreheads. Who applies them? Surely they are not born with them? Thank you for your reply Addb! :)
      August 13, 2017 9:21 AM MDT

Actually... it seems I am incorrect! LOL roll the carpet out, it's not often I am wrong :P I thought that was what it was but apparently it's more to do with signifying that a woman is married. My last bf was half Indian. His father was very high born over there - people used to travel by foot just to walk past his house..  I should have asked him more lol but I think it's a bit too late now :P
      August 13, 2017 9:38 AM MDT

Ask Neelie.
      August 13, 2017 1:09 PM MDT

not sure
      August 13, 2017 4:54 PM MDT