Discussion » Questions » Travel » STOOPID! A drunken American tourist gave a Nazi salute in Germany and was beaten up by a stranger. How would YOU have reacted?

STOOPID! A drunken American tourist gave a Nazi salute in Germany and was beaten up by a stranger. How would YOU have reacted?

All Nazi symbols like swastikas and salutes have been BANNED from Germany since the end of World War II. Talk about UGLY AMERICAN. Stoopid ugly to be precise. That would be a good example. SIGH

Posted - August 14, 2017

Responses

Thanks for the good news.
      August 14, 2017 7:21 AM MDT

Good news? You're welcome. What part is good?  Separate issue. I see that you answered the question about the anti-racism protests in the US as a result of the Charlotte Tragedy. I have a notification that you replied and that you like. But when I click on you are not there anywhere Zack. I don't understand. Thank you for your reply for this and that other one in case I never get there! :)
      August 14, 2017 8:14 AM MDT

I deleted my answer because I read the question wrong. I never came up with another one.
      August 14, 2017 8:18 AM MDT

I would have ignored him. 

Why engage a drunken moron? But I don't feel sorry for him, that's for sure.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at August 14, 2017 9:58 AM MDT
      August 14, 2017 9:23 AM MDT

I agree with Shar to the Rona.
      August 14, 2017 9:37 AM MDT

I would have just rolled my eyes at him and be like "what a toadstool."
    I'm not the type to just beat up people, especially since I can easily be beaten up myself..
      August 14, 2017 10:00 AM MDT

I would have detained him and called the polizi ... throw his ass in jail for it (as well as their version of "drunk and disorderly").
      August 14, 2017 10:01 AM MDT

i wouldnt have beat someone up but then he shouldnt have done it either
      August 14, 2017 10:26 AM MDT

I am not saying it's right.. and I know you and I have discussed Germans before.. we are all slightly different in what's considered acceptable and what isn't .. that applies even more so culturally...  

So while not defending anyone.. the thing we ALL need to know when travelling to another country.. is what they find deeply offensive.. and avoid it..   quite simple the Germans are VERY sensitive still about the war and what happened... it upsets them..they feel it's a part of their past that they have worked hard to move on from.  A Nazi salute to them is like saying the Quran is B/S when you are in a Muslim country.  

Personally, I don't think he should have been beaten up.. but he was beholden to learn and understand and then avoid making deeply insulting gestures while he was a visitor in their country.. 
      August 14, 2017 11:57 AM MDT