Active Now

Slartibartfast
Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » All anger is not alike. Yours is way more important than anyone else's to you. Problem is we all feel the same about OUR anger. WHY?

All anger is not alike. Yours is way more important than anyone else's to you. Problem is we all feel the same about OUR anger. WHY?

Posted - August 20, 2017

Responses

Anger is a tool to help humans set appropriate boundaries---long before we actually started calling them "boundaries."  If that's true, then for us to set our boundaries, our anger would have to be the most anger to us.
      August 20, 2017 10:27 AM MDT

Ever had another person's anger really scare you though tom? I HAD a husband who was very quiet and low-key but one evening he got furious about something I had done (I don't remember what it was) and smashed a large ceramic ashtray on the kitchen floor. He was the smoker in the family. That was the beginning of  end. He never touched me in anger but I thought seeing that fury a day might come when he would. And seeing someone else's anguish can be heartbreaking too. Your point about boundaries hits home. Once at the age of 14 I allowed myself to get so angry I put my first through the glass top half of a door, smashing it. I scared myself and vowed to NEVER get that angry again. I never have. I just walk away or go inside myself and disappear for awhile. That was my boundary apparently. I was lucky to find it early and put in safety mechanisms to protect me from that side of me.  Thank you for your reply and Happy Solar Eclipse Day! :)
      August 21, 2017 2:03 AM MDT

No, never been scared like that.  Just lucky, I guess.
      August 21, 2017 8:47 AM MDT

I'm pretty sure it's more than luck tom. It's temperament and intellect and common sense.  Thank you for your reply and Happy Tuesday! :)
      August 22, 2017 3:45 AM MDT

Everyone is the centre of their own universe. It's actually impossible to "feel" someone else's emotions completely although you can be aware of them. Your own are more intense to you, including anger.
      August 20, 2017 7:56 PM MDT

To the extent that another person's emotion seems loose cannony I DO feel it because it scares me Sbf. You know those folks who lose control and throw things or yell until the veins in their necks stand out? Another person's sorrow can never be felt as deeply as they feel it but you can feel it. When our friend lost his beloved dog we felt very sad because we had played with him and petted him and enjoyed being around him.. Losing our cat Tigger several weeks ago has caused us both to be  beyond sad. For how long I don't know but the days are grey and quiet and seem so very long. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :)
      August 21, 2017 1:41 AM MDT