Active Now

Randy D
Slartibartfast
my2cents
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Is free will real or just an illusion?

Is free will real or just an illusion?

Posted - August 22, 2017

Responses

I would have to see what the actuarial numbers are vs the insurance rates.
    I believe there was a case in the US a couple years ago, where policy holders sued the insurance company (and won) because the company wasn't using the latest actuarial information.  I didn't really follow it, since it wasn't my insurance or state and didn't affect me.
      August 23, 2017 8:45 AM MDT

I don't presume to give a dispositive answer.  One approach is that in the moment of exercising our "free will," we are the most determined.

I prefer to think that my will is only able to choose what is (either apparently or actually) good to me, and it is my conscience (the last act of the practical intellect before I act) makes the final decision as to how to proceed.

While that may seem contradictory (much like the concept of one nature in God, yet three persons in the Abrahamic deity), it turns out not to be.
      August 22, 2017 3:30 PM MDT

Free will

(what's) real/reality

illusions

~ Your question addresses three concepts that I sometimes have difficulty "delving through/distinguishing what the concepts actually are." 

I can't really answer, I guess. It's a good question, though, for me to ponder. This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at August 22, 2017 6:56 PM MDT
      August 22, 2017 6:52 PM MDT

I find it tough to answer. Takes some pondering for sure.
      August 22, 2017 6:57 PM MDT