Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » When you Google "Why is water wet" you get an extremely detailed scientific explanation. Ever try it?

When you Google "Why is water wet" you get an extremely detailed scientific explanation. Ever try it?

For example

Water molecules are polar and attract each other like magnets. They are also attracted to each other by hydrogen bonding. There are other liquids besides water such as grain alcohol, rubbing alcohol, gasoline, benzene, olive oil and mercury. If you dip your finger into a pool of mercury your finger comes out dry. Dip a candle into water and it doesn't get wet. The molecules don't bond. They are not attracted to each other. Wetness is a relative term. Some liquids are wetter than others. Water isn't a very good wetter as liquids go. Alcohol is much  better than water as a wetter. All liquids aren't wet and even water is sometimes dry.

My oh my what you can find out when you ask Google a question.

So the answer to "why is water wet" is complicated.

Posted - August 25, 2017

Responses

Why did my itty-bitty city just spend 30 million dollars to build a sewer treatment plant after just spending a fortune to build a plant that makes waste water safe to drink? O'Bama Overkill!
      August 25, 2017 7:13 AM MDT

Always thought it was a tautology. 
      August 25, 2017 9:11 AM MDT

Hello?

We have been doing just that for 10 years now.
    My oh my what you can find out when you ask Google a question.

August 25, 2017 9:28 AM MDT