Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » RESPECT. A two-way street because every one-way street dead ends. You give and get. If you don't you're all alone on your own. Right?

RESPECT. A two-way street because every one-way street dead ends. You give and get. If you don't you're all alone on your own. Right?

Posted - August 26, 2017

Responses

I agree...  Respect is a two- way street, if you want to get it, you’ve got to give it.
    – R. G. Risch

When people do no respect us we are sharply offended; yet in his private heart no man much respects himself.
    – Mark Twain
      August 26, 2017 8:34 AM MDT

Thank you for your reply Beans/SG. I appreciate the attribution m'dear. It is very educational when folks do that. Happy Sunday! :)
      August 27, 2017 3:44 AM MDT

Respect is a two way street only in that respect can be lost because of actions/words. 
    But we should show honor and respect to whom/what is due. Not all respect must be earned. 
    Our parents deserve  respect. Our elders deserve respect. People in authority deserve respect. Simply because of the position they have.  You can dislike someone and still show respect for their position. 
      August 26, 2017 11:54 AM MDT

That is something that is rare these days m2c. As an old lady my view is that automatic respect is owed a few. Your elders, people in authority (unless they are Nazis or something equally heinous) and the office they hold (unless the person holding it is a bully/tyrant/liar ). I had discussions years ago on Answerbag that shocked me. Youngsters were telling me that they respected no one unless that person had EARNED it. Where in the he** did they hear that? It stunned me but I have come to realize that the world is not the world in which I grew up. I dislike a lot of it but it matters not what I think or feel.  Thank you for bringing up some of the civility that used to be. It's hard to find these days and is going out of style rapidly. It may already be antiquated/ancient/arcane. SIGH. Happy Sunday to thee! _
      August 27, 2017 3:49 AM MDT

Even if you do not like the person, respect is owed to the position. 
    But yes it is sad that parents are not teaching respect to their children....saying repect must be earned. No, the due respect of certain positions cannot be lost and respect is owed to all people until they cause the loss of it. 
    As our country get farther and farther from Biblical values it is going to get worse. My church did a whole series called "Honor to Whom Honor it Due" This post was edited by my2cents at August 27, 2017 7:34 AM MDT
      August 27, 2017 7:26 AM MDT

Agree two-way street.. if respect is not given as well as taken then I would lose respect. No matter who they are I expect to be treated with respect.. That goes for police, government, teachers, managers..

Small story.. at my old job, the chef was always disrespecting others.. he tried to do same to me.. he failed and I complained about his behaviour, first to him, then to his boss. I said to the main boss.. I wouldn't care if it were the Queen herself.. if she spoke to me in a disrespectful way then I would tell her off too!  Giving respect to someone just because of their status or power is a recipe for them to seek to abuse that. 
      August 26, 2017 2:50 PM MDT

It can be a two-edged sword alright Addb. When I was a child I was  taught to respect my elders, people in authority and the office (say the school Principal). Now if such person is rude or disrespectful to you then all bets are off. Being respectful to a disrespectful person is illogical. That is why I don't engage with rude people on Answermug. I don't have to so I don't. Others can do so but it's not my cuppa tea. I ignore the ignorable very easily! My natural default position is to give respect to others until/unless they show me they aren't worthy of it. They don't have to EARN it. They just have to be civil/polite. I think it is easier to be polite than to be a jacka** but some folks get off on jacka**yness I guess. Thank you for your reply! :) This post was edited by RosieG at August 27, 2017 3:55 AM MDT
      August 27, 2017 3:55 AM MDT

You imagine that everyone is just a mirror reflecting what you put out. No, other people are actually conscious beings with their own free will, their own beliefs, and their own agenda. Not everyone deserves respect and not everyone will reciprocate the respect you give them.

No, you don't necessarily end up alone. You just end up with like minded people. Though if you have no other choice, it's better to be alone than in the company of scum. People shouldn't be so desperate to be respected by everyone. They should just find their niche. This post was edited by Zeitgeist at August 28, 2017 11:47 AM MDT
      August 28, 2017 11:26 AM MDT

Wow. You been looking in that mirror again?
      August 28, 2017 11:35 AM MDT