Active Now

Danilo_G
Element 99
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » I heard this pianist for the first time just now on this youtube video and he blew me away. Incredible!

I heard this pianist for the first time just now on this youtube video and he blew me away. Incredible!

He's playing one of my favorite Beethoven pieces - - the "Adagio Cantabile" (second movement) of the Pathetique Sonata.
I play this piece myself somewhat regularly and Yundi makes this piece sing, breathe and flow in a sighingly beautiful way.

Posted - August 29, 2017

Responses

Tickling the ivories like there is no tomorrow.  I am going to have to listen to this later.  I'll definitely get to it.  This looks great.
      August 29, 2017 1:25 PM MDT

Hey, thanks for coming in anyway, without listening, Shar to the Rona. What I love about Yundi's performance is that this piece is not an over-the-top flashy loud in-your-face piece -- it's a very gentle piece. And Yundi caresses that gentleness with life-giving spirit. Wonderful.

And the filming of this video is impressive, too, to me.

I hope you get a chance to listen and watch another time.
    :)

Be Well!!
      August 29, 2017 1:52 PM MDT

So beautiful, so delicate, it brought a little tear to my eye. Felt like I was  on a blanket laying under the stars  in the springtime along a babbling brook wrapped up in my sweethearts arms fighting to keep my sleepy eyes open. Yummy. Thanks for giving me such a nice experience WelbyQuentin. I wuv u. ;))
      August 29, 2017 2:11 PM MDT

Hey, it's my pleasure, carbonproduct. I had no idea I would ending up posting a statement/question here when I started to listen to him play. But within seconds of listening to him, he was affecting me the same way he did you and I wanted to post.
      August 29, 2017 2:17 PM MDT

So lovely. Magical really. ;))))
      August 29, 2017 2:20 PM MDT

Agreed
      August 29, 2017 8:33 PM MDT

Really lovely Welby. Thanks for sharing it.   
      August 29, 2017 2:23 PM MDT

You're welcome, LyricalOne. He plays it so beautifully.
      August 29, 2017 8:07 PM MDT

Thanks for listening, LyricalOne. It's a gorgeous piece to me. I enjoy playing it myself but this guy simply "lives" the piece. He makes it breathe.
      August 29, 2017 8:12 PM MDT

Awesome....a great piece, Welby;))
      August 29, 2017 7:16 PM MDT

I agree, Veena.K -- thanks!
    I play this piece myself rather regularly and Yundi transcends to new places the piece. I am impressed with his playing. I just heard him for the first time in my life today, just before posting this question/statement on the site.
      August 29, 2017 8:10 PM MDT

When I was about 9 years of age, we had a neighbor whose three daughters played piano superbly....I luved tinkering with it....stealthily of course....;)) Welby...you must be a good pianist....!

August 29, 2017 8:14 PM MDT

It's always a good thing to explore and tinker.

(Yeah, I get paid to play. I have several part-time jobs -- a couple entail being a paid professional pianist, I guess. Even though that sounds goofy to me to say. But, technically, it's probably true. I've been playing the vast majority of my life - - it just seems a part of me, not a job.)
      August 29, 2017 8:20 PM MDT

• "I'm not usually a big fan of the piano, but that was very nice." 
      August 29, 2017 8:20 PM MDT

I agree, ALF - - it really is very nice to me, too.

It's one of two Beethoven pieces that I really enjoy playing -- I'm not much of a Beethoven fan a lot of the time. But Yundi makes the piece sound new to me here.
      August 29, 2017 8:33 PM MDT

• Watching him play, it's quite apparent how deeply he gets into the music.
      August 29, 2017 8:38 PM MDT