Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » A religious guy said years ago that AIDS was God's punishment for homosexuality. Is God punishing Texas for something? What did Texas do?

A religious guy said years ago that AIDS was God's punishment for homosexuality. Is God punishing Texas for something? What did Texas do?

Posted - August 30, 2017

Responses

No, God does not work that way. Everything God does is good. 
      August 30, 2017 7:58 AM MDT

Sorry but if you want to own the good then you must also own the bad.
      September 4, 2017 2:21 PM MDT

No, the bad in this world is created by us...humans. 
      September 4, 2017 3:51 PM MDT

A religious guy said years ago....

Those religious guys are still saying that.  They gave religion a dirty name, those religious guys. 

We now have spiritual guys who think religious guys like him are deplorable.

God doesn't need a lawyer to speak for Him.  So those religious guys better zip it.  They are giving religion, spirituality and GOD a very bad name.

God is the Witness.  God didn't dive bomb Texas. 

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at August 30, 2017 8:11 AM MDT
      August 30, 2017 8:03 AM MDT

Three birds do not a god make any more than a sun behind clouds a devil make.

September 4, 2017 2:26 PM MDT

Because  they voted Trump? 

https://www.infowars.com/professor-harvey-is-karma-for-texas-voting-trump/
      August 30, 2017 8:14 AM MDT

If only the people that voted for him suffered, I would think you have a point.   I think Austin should remain water-free here.
      August 30, 2017 8:17 AM MDT

This deserves a good reading, actually.  The guy has a point because the GOP does not give a crap about them.
      August 30, 2017 8:18 AM MDT

What a kick in the head that is! Instead of blaming the LGBTQ folks blame it on The Donald John. Why not? He takes credit for everything and that happened on his watch so?  Thank you for your reply Kg and the link and Happy Saturday to thee! :)
      September 9, 2017 7:12 AM MDT

• People who act as if God punishes certain geographical regions with natural disasters for sins don't understand nature nor do they understand God. Some of the most religious areas of the country are the most disaster prone. It has everything to do with geography and nothing to do with "punishment". 
      August 30, 2017 9:35 AM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful answer NevanB. I think it was Jerry Falwell or  one of his ilk that said that. Whatta jerk! Happy Wednesday to thee! :)
      August 30, 2017 11:42 AM MDT

• "It's no wonder Satan worshippers are so mad!  Satan doesn't get credit for anything anymore!!"
      August 30, 2017 9:43 AM MDT

LOL
      September 4, 2017 3:47 PM MDT

So you now claim to be the new Falwell.  
      August 30, 2017 6:48 PM MDT

LOL
      September 4, 2017 3:47 PM MDT

Nope.

[Jesus used a recent event to reject the false notion that tragedy befalls those who deserve it. He said: “Those eighteen upon whom the tower in Siloam fell, thereby killing them, do you imagine that they were proved greater debtors [sinners] than all other men inhabiting Jerusalem?” (Luke 13:4) Jesus argued eloquently against fatalistic reasoning. Those 18 souls did not perish because of some sin that evoked divine displeasure. Rather, their tragic death was a result of time and unforeseen occurrence. (Ecclesiastes 9:11) He thus refuted a false teaching by referring to an event that was well-known to his hearers.]

(Luke 13:4) Or those 18 on whom the tower in Si·loʹam fell, killing them—do you think that they had greater guilt than all other men who live in Jerusalem?
    (Ecclesiastes 9:11) I have seen something further under the sun, that the swift do not always win the race, nor do the mighty win the battle, nor do the wise always have the food, nor do the intelligent always have the riches, nor do those with knowledge always have success, because time and unexpected events overtake them all.

https://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/g201212/does-god-use-natural-disasters-to-punish/

The Bible’s Viewpoint

Does God Use Natural Disasters to Punish Mankind Today?

September 3, 2017 6:22 AM MDT

Punishment for homosexuality?

Africans would be "amused" to hear that, given that AIDS is STILL raging out of control among the heterosexual population on that continent.
      September 3, 2017 8:11 AM MDT

God is not now, or has ever been responsible for natural disasters.
      September 4, 2017 10:59 PM MDT

A natural disaster like a meteorite, supervolcano or global ice age could destroy and end the human race like happened to the dinausaurs -never to reappear. What might God do when there is no intelligent life around to believe in Him?
      September 4, 2017 11:43 PM MDT

• God is powerless to prevent such natural disasters; (He was an inept creator who allows many things he created to harm the humans he created.)
    God could prevent such disaster, but he just does not care; 
    God is a sadist who watches with glee as the forces of nature he created destroys many humans he created;
    God does not exist!!!!!!!
    These possibilities explain the situation. Use William of Ockham's Razor to choose the most logical assertion!
      September 5, 2017 3:08 PM MDT

Here's a better explanation---you just don't understand the "economy of salvation" that God has set in motion.  And since one needs to believe in Him to understand it, apparently a catch-22 exists.
      September 5, 2017 3:47 PM MDT

• There is no logical reason to think any gods exist. Science has no mere beliefs. You say that you must be sufficiently deluded to believe in one of millions of gods before you can believe the absurd tale about salvation. Logical? God was a an inept creator, so his first two humans displeased him. Rather than correcting his errors, he condemned these first two and all future humans as well. Then, about 4000 years later, he had his son (or is it himself?) brutally killed to compensate for his ineptness as a creator. Christianity is an obvious swindle that creates feelings of guilt and fear in naive people, so that they will pay 10% of their money for forgiveness. It is the same as poisoning someone and selling him antidote at a high price or stabbing him and selling him expensive bandages. I understand everything much better than you ever will. 
      September 5, 2017 4:04 PM MDT

Atheism, according to the American atheist's website is defined as "a lack of belief in gods."  

Theism is defined as "belief in the existence of a god or gods, especially belief in one god as creator of the universe, intervening in it and sustaining a personal relation to his creatures."  (My choice of internet definitions and bold emphasis is mine.  Specifically, I am a Catholic and believe in the Abrahamic God.)

Neither your lack of belief in a god, nor my belief in the Abrahamic God is unseasonable or illogical.  Both yours and my position can pretty much address most of what we come across in our lifetimes. Nothing that either you or I say can compel belief or disbelief "in" atheism or in my brand of theism.  (I used "in" because atheism is not a belief system, if I understand that correctly.")

And what you refer to as ineptness in the creator, we Christians refer to as a "happy fault" because had Adam and Eve not fallen we would not have had what we refer to as the Redemption---which gives us more than we would have had without "original" sin.

You say in your response that "I (i.e., you) understand everything much better than you (me) ever will."  I frequently get a response from others who find themselves frustrated by their inability to "reason" with me that "I am just as smart as you."  Sounds like I just got that from you as well.  Sorry, I can't help what I am.

And it seems to me you have just expanded on my statement that "you just don't understand the 'economy of salvation.'"

I have no problem in general with atheists.  I just think they you see the world in black and white.  My perspective allows the full spectrum of visible light.  I prefer mine---it's much more fun.

And of course, eventually, we will find out which of us is correct about the existence of "God"
      September 6, 2017 11:42 AM MDT

• I am NOT American, and I do not agree with that website! Atheism does not LACK anything. It is an Absence of gods, beliefs, faith, priets, Bibles or Vedas, rituals, dogmas, churches, offerings, etc. and is certainly NOT A LACK! Da, all beliefs are inherently illogical and unscientific, because they lack evidence. (Here is the proper place to use LACK!) Atheism is an individual matter. We are all born as atheists. Animals are atheists. The tale is extremely poor. A book with such a immature story line would never sell if it did not make unrealistic false promises. You would not believe such a story if it was Zeus and Heracles rather than God and Jesus. If god was a competent creator, he would not have made such displeasing creations. You are blindly biased and cannot be objective and logical about the tale with which you were indoctrinated. Well, My nation is atheistic, and if you were born and reared there, you would be an atheist. I certainly cannot reason with you, because your indoctrination has made you unreasonable and subjective to a high degree. You are a slave to your indoctrination. Few people can overcome it. You display lack of logic, objectivity and knowledge. Economy of Salvation is biased nonsense. Gods so not exist, ergo sins cannot exist, and salvation is not necessary at all. This just an insidious scam comparable to poisoning people and selling them antidote. Priests create a need for their services and charge outrageously for them when they are totally unnecessary. No, Christians oversimplify into black and white metaphorically. Atheists see the visible spectrum of light and know there are infrared and ultraviolet light in addition. No, your asserts that having fun is sinful. It does that to create guilt in everyone that is to be forgiven by priests for a high price. We will learn about the existence of Perun, Volos, Zeus, Jove, Odin, Amatersu, Yu Ti, Ahuramazda, Shamash, Vishnu, Marduk, Quetzalcoatl, Ra, Amon, Manitou, Wotan and millions of gods ... or will we? Learning stops when we die. 
      September 20, 2017 7:23 AM MDT