Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » If you smile at someone as you pass on the street and the person ignores you or glares at you do you regret smiling? How does it make you feel?

If you smile at someone as you pass on the street and the person ignores you or glares at you do you regret smiling? How does it make you feel?

Posted - July 24, 2016

Responses

• I just figure they didn't hear me so I'll try again until I get a response :)

July 24, 2016 8:11 AM MDT

nah.   They don't even realize who I am.

July 24, 2016 8:26 AM MDT

It just makes me notice that
    Their joy is not present
      July 24, 2016 8:33 AM MDT

It makes me ponder, at least for a few minutes 

July 24, 2016 9:55 AM MDT

"Hear you"? How do you hear a smile GJ?  Thank you for your reply m'dear! :)

July 24, 2016 10:00 AM MDT

Who are you Sharonna? Thank you for your reply! :)

July 24, 2016 10:00 AM MDT

No. I greet most people on the street with a smile. If they do not respond that is their choice. I don't know what is going on their lives at that time so could be a hundred reasons for not smiling back.

So far very few have not smiled back.

July 24, 2016 10:02 AM MDT

I have never regretted being honest Baba. When I smile at someone that is because it is what I felt like doing at that moment. Of course I really love it when folks smile back and say hello as they pass by. I often wonder if the ignorers and the glarers are so miserable in their lives they don't even recognize an overture? I feel bad for them and I always feel happy that I am not them. I ALWAYS smile back at people who smile at me but usually I throw out the first smile! Thank you for your reply!  :)

July 24, 2016 10:03 AM MDT

I ponder too CS. I never regret the smile I give to others but I wonder if they did not recognize the overture? And I am always grateful I am not  them because it seems to me they are not very happy people. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday! :)

July 24, 2016 10:05 AM MDT

•  exactly

July 24, 2016 10:10 AM MDT

• I always say "Hi" or "What's up??" when I smile at someone 

:)

July 24, 2016 10:30 AM MDT

I give it very little thought and don't take it personally as I live in NYC and not too many people smile at strangers. :)  Of course, I do find it rude when you smile at someone in the office in which you work and they walk by you as though you don't exist.

July 24, 2016 10:40 AM MDT

I don't smile unless we make eye contact and most of the time they smile back.

I really don't care if they do or not, I am just being polite.

July 24, 2016 1:00 PM MDT

• i'm always the one to smile or nod back, not the one who smiles or nods first.

but i do stay aware of  and make eye contact with anyone near the zone of my personal space.

July 24, 2016 1:14 PM MDT

I usually initiate the smile lq. As a child I was painfully shy and waited to be approached because when you are that shy you are so self-conscious you simply don't know how to reach out. But I discovered something that surprised  me years ago at a job I had. The secretary of the President of the company seemed so confident and aloof and self-assured that I kinda kept my distance. So did everyone else. Then we were at a baby shower for an employee and I noticed she seemed really uncomfortable. It occurred to me that maybe she was shy so I went over to her and struck up a conversation. You won't believe it but we became friends and would have lunch together periodically. Her birthday was the same as my son's and my birthday was the same as her daughter's! Imagine that? All I did was give her a chance. Sometimes that's all it takes. From then on I was always relaxed around her and enjoyed her company and I think that reaching out on my part helped her to loosen up a bit . You cannot judge a book by a cover. The worst thing that can happen if you reach out to people is to be rejected. So what? It just might be the kindest thing anyone ever did for that person. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to you lq! :)

July 25, 2016 4:59 AM MDT

Not friendly? Just  polite? Thank you for your reply Lulu'sMom and Happy Monday! :)

July 25, 2016 5:02 AM MDT

Gee that is very nervy! Someone you know with whom  you work looks right through you when you smile? What an unhappy person that must be. Thank you for your reply Spunky and Happy Monday! :)

July 25, 2016 5:05 AM MDT

Yep - lots of unhappy people in my office that I can see.

Happy Monday. :)

July 25, 2016 5:07 AM MDT

• Very rare for someone not to smile back.

If they don't, I guess they are feeling unhappy or stressed.

July 25, 2016 5:13 AM MDT

Oh! Got it! If they smile back I speak. If they don't I remain silent but still smililng! Thank you for the explanation! :)

July 25, 2016 6:02 AM MDT

Condolences then Spunky. That atmosphere must get depressing for you at times. :(

July 25, 2016 6:15 AM MDT

The only thought that occurs to me is gratitude that I am not them because I always assume someone who doesn't return a smile is unhappy. Thank you for your reply hartfire!Q :)

July 25, 2016 6:17 AM MDT

Oh yes I am very friendly, I just don't push myself on people who aren't..

July 25, 2016 8:28 AM MDT

I"d feel sorry for them;  maybe they're having a bad day, etc.....it wouldn't bother me at all.........

July 25, 2016 9:20 AM MDT