Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "Remember we only kill black people" Lt. Greg Abbott, Georgia Police officer, told a woman on camera. Ya gotta be joking. AN HONEST COP?

"Remember we only kill black people" Lt. Greg Abbott, Georgia Police officer, told a woman on camera. Ya gotta be joking. AN HONEST COP?

Posted - August 31, 2017

Responses

Sounds like some sarcasm from the officer.
      August 31, 2017 11:36 AM MDT

OMG  This was a DUI stop. The lady wasn't complying with requests- she wouldn't move her hands because she 'didn't want to be shot.' He was either using humor/ sarcasm to get her to relax and comply or was using drunk people logic because he thought she was drunk. He basically said she wasn't at risk because she wasn't black.

That's no different than the post I wrote a week ago where you basically referred to all Arpaio supporters as racists, so I signed off as a racist. *rolls eyes* I'm not a racist. It was satire. I don't know this officer personally, but making intentionally ludicrous statements does not make him one either. It doesn't mean he's not, but this statement is nothing.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/cobb-leaders-face-public-over-only-shoot-black-people-remark/I3RAuy3GVMmoM4WsXBGN7H/  
      August 31, 2017 12:29 PM MDT

• I take it you don't understand sarcasm. I haven't even heard of this story and I can see that the cop was being sarcastic.
      August 31, 2017 2:52 PM MDT

Personally we expect better from our cops.. we expect them to be trained to behave with class and dignity at all times and when they cannot and/or seem to love control of their behaviour then we hold them accountable.. 
    So while I see many apologist comments here.. that wouldn't wash with me.. cops are expected to behave better than that.. there's no room for sarcasm.. Let's face it.. in our normal every day jobs there are jobs where we are expected to hold control of ourselves and not resort to petty behaviour like say it *was* sarcasm..  Brits are known for their sarcasm... our kids are weaned on sarcasm.. but there's a time and place and knowing that and acting accordingly are important.. vital even - especially in a job where you are hoping to command respect.. 

As i say .. think of our jobs.. I was in a foul mood today.. with arguably some justification.. been in all summer vacation, worked my socks of alone, at the busiest period while others were away.. they come back today.. and seem to think the huge pile on my desk is my responsibility and that I can deal with that while the phones were ringing off the hook with even more bookings.. I was tired and had enough.. then some silly woman wanted to know an exact end date of a 30 week course.. I sorely wanted to be sarcastic.. I sorely wanted to tell her to work it out herself and that I don't have time.. but that wouldn't be professional of me.. it's not what I am paid to do..  Police are even more so!  

Furthermore we don't actually know that it was sarcasm.. which can be part of the problem itself.. when one uses jokes etc.. it can be misinterpreted.. and there's no room for that.. so it's not smart or professional to get lazy like that.. act professionally at all times.. 
      August 31, 2017 3:57 PM MDT

From viewing the report it seems I am not by any means alone in that view.. his employers, those who employ him.. seem to agree.. it was unprofessional.. when an officer resorts to using sarcasm or the suspects own ignorant, but clearly incorrect views against her.. he's lost it.
      August 31, 2017 4:13 PM MDT

Did you watch the video? The woman wouldn't do what she was told because she was afraid she'd get shot. He used humor or an odd remark to diffuse the situation and she became complaint. 

Officers are put in crappy situations all the time, and they have to know "their audience" and read people in order to get the job done. In this case, he made a crude remark to gain the trust of a non-complaint "suspect." It worked. There's nothing more to it than that. Unprofessional, I guess. But, there's a big difference between calling someone unprofessional and accusing him of being a racist or dishonest. 
      August 31, 2017 4:54 PM MDT

Yes, I watched the video.. I am a pretty by the book kind like that. I like to listen and learn and give an informed opinion. While I respect that your's and a few others here differ from my opinion, it's very telling that those in charge, his employers, superiors and those in ultimate authority share the same opinion as I do. They say it's unacceptable.. that he just shouldn't have resorted to that kind of language. 

People, no matter what have to be treated with respect.. if you have to grit your teeth to do so then yes, as a person in that position you have to act bigger than your own personal feelings and weaknesses. 

I am sure you will have picked up that I never said he was racist. I DID and do feel he was unprofessional - I expect better of a cop! 

I do find it an interesting difference too... here there is NO WAY we would allow a cop to speak to us disrespectfully. It won't happen and that's how it should be. I personally have complained on 2 occasions about police acting in a less than respectful way to me.  I could be wrong... but it seems to me, from much I have heard here and elsewhere.. you guys are a little more compliant and accepting of people in authority telling you what to do, sometimes less than respectfully.. Perhaps it's also just in the movies but police there seem a lot rougher too.. in their manhandling of suspects... quite violent almost.. that wouldn't be accepted here. I think, and this is just opinion.. the lady in the vehicle explained why she didn't want to move her hands - that seemed pretty reasonable to me.. here, I feel sure the officer would have respected that and understood.. we don't DO unquestioning obedience.. we are a nation of rule followers but they have to be reasonable requests.. and they have to be delivered respectfully. 
      September 1, 2017 1:45 AM MDT

The apologists on this thread don't bother me. They ALWAYS give such answers. Here's the crux of the matter. Aren't there some things we ought not joke about/ridicule? Is sarcasm always appropriate no matter where or when? I think it is not. The apologists here non this thread  don't mind. Such is life. Different strokes. Thank you for your thoughtful analysis Addb. I can always count on you to address the question I ask and answer it to the best of your ability. Sadly I do not expect that from everyone. As you can see, some folks simply are incapable of that and I don't expect them to give what they don't have. Happy Friday! :)
      September 1, 2017 1:58 AM MDT

It was a joke for crissakes. He is black.

Anyways I remember 2 cases of white people getting shot by cops for no good reason.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2017/08/31/remember-we-only-shoot-black-people-georgia-police-officer-told-a-woman-on-camera/?utm_term=.8a8899530d9d This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at September 1, 2017 8:43 AM MDT
      August 31, 2017 4:41 PM MDT

I am sure it was a joke.. I don't think that's in any doubt.. and it was perhaps a joke made in exasperation - maybe he had had a bad day dealing with idiots.. However, I still don't feel it's acceptable, it's unprofessional. I know I sometimes feel very frustrated with people.. I gave an example in my comment.. a woman who had rung up several times, asking stupid questions, demanding I tell her an exact end date of a course when it's just not possible to say exactly and she was wasting my time and seemed to have little intention to book onto the course. Now I am not a cop.. what I do isn't life or death.. but I *am* expected to at all times remember to put my own personal feelings to one side and behave in a professional way, which represents the college.  I think that when one is in a position where it IS life or death.. then the burden of remembering that you cannot risk being misunderstood or misinterpreted and you must be clear and professional at all times, is even more important. Just saying This post was edited by Adaydreambeliever at September 1, 2017 7:40 AM MDT
      September 1, 2017 1:52 AM MDT

How many white cops have murdered young unarmed black men and walked? With Doofus Donny in power he has unleashed the vermin who have slithered out from under their rocks and march in  WHITE pride as WHITE SUPREMACISTS. KKK without sheets. Neo-Nazis. Skinheads. Militiamen. ALT-RIGHT WHITES. White Nationalists. Lynching comes with them, hovers over them, defines them. In my opinion there are some things you do not joke about and death is one of them. SIGH. Thank you for your thoughtful reply Addb. I buy no excuse for what that person said. Some things should be sacrosanct. Saying something awful and then trying to pass it off as "just joking" does not fly with me.  "Many a truth is said in jest". Another question methinks. Thank you for your reply.
      September 1, 2017 3:23 AM MDT

Wowsers, that sounds like some serious sarcasm to me.
      September 1, 2017 12:17 AM MDT

So what? It is ghastly in my opinion. "Joking" about or being "sarcastic" about such a thing as that?  We know the number of white cops who got away with killing/murdering young unarmed black men. With the RACISM unleashed by Doofus Donny the spectre of lynching isn't far away. Just my opinion. Thank you for your reply Patch and Happy Friday!
      September 1, 2017 3:18 AM MDT