Active Now

Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Computers and the Internet » The internet has a list of cities to see before they disappear beneath the rising waters. New York City is one of them. Surprised?

The internet has a list of cities to see before they disappear beneath the rising waters. New York City is one of them. Surprised?

Posted - September 10, 2017

Responses

A little bit surprizing, yes
    I have always thought New York would be fairly easy to make 'waterproof'- the severs and subways there are already below water level and would just need bigger pumps to continually pump the water out of places where it should not be. Same as in New Orleans where the city is already a good way below the water level because the land have been sinking for a long time. Higher levies and bigger pumps will be enough for some 10 meters of rising water levels.

Haxe some faith in Amerikan ingenuity
      September 10, 2017 10:13 AM MDT

Isn;t there a city in Denmark also below sea level?  I guess it makes for an exciting life. Thank you for your reply JakobA! :)
      September 10, 2017 10:15 AM MDT

If there is Danish City built under the waterlevel I do not know of it. We do however have Lammefjorden. It used to be a Fiord but is now a walley and fameous for growing food crops because if all the silt that got deposited there while it was a Fiord.

Here is an article (in Danish) about a problem they have aboit the levy used to Dam the fiord. it seems moles dig their holes all the way through the levy so water can seep into the dammed in area :-)) https://ing.dk/artikel/huller-efter-muldvarpe-taetnes-i-lammefjordens-diger-115685 This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at September 10, 2017 10:31 AM MDT
      September 10, 2017 10:21 AM MDT

Leenk puhleez
      September 10, 2017 10:14 AM MDT

GOOGLE LIST OF CITIES BELOW SEA LEVEL. Do I have to do EVERY THING for you? Geez!  :(
      September 10, 2017 10:16 AM MDT

Uhm.

September 10, 2017 10:17 AM MDT

September 10, 2017 10:20 AM MDT

NYC was already supposed to be under water for 2 years now according to global warming predictions from 2008. 

https://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitlock/2015/06/12/flashback-abcs-08-prediction-nyc-under-water-climate-change-june

New York City underwater? Gas over $9 a gallon? A carton of milk costs almost $13? Welcome to June 12,  2015. Or at least that was the wildly-inaccurate version of 2015 predicted by ABC News exactly seven years ago. Appearing onGood Morning America in 2008, Bob Woodruff hyped Earth 2100, a special that pushed apocalyptic predictions of the then-futuristic 2015.

September 10, 2017 10:18 AM MDT

My house sits at 633 feet above sea level. However, I have found several pieces of coral while rototilling the garden.  It is well known that a glacier came through here some 10,000 years ago. This planet acts strange enough regardless of the amount of CO2 in the atmosphere.
      September 10, 2017 10:26 AM MDT

The question said "Cities to see before they disappear" New York it still above water. Water levels ARE rising though, as reported by everyone but the most ardent climate change deniers. This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at September 10, 2017 11:19 AM MDT
      September 10, 2017 11:18 AM MDT

Water levels are rising (I think that you mean sea level levels are believed to be rising)?

At what rate? Is that process accelerating? [I see a range of rates published, depending on location so now I have to distrust any measurements taken with a "bubble" level? Maybe the bubble is supposed to be higher at one end of the tube than at the other when the instrument is being held perfectly "level"?)] If you buy into the concept that sea level rises are different in some parts of the world then are there any places where the mean seal level is actually dropping? And most important of all . . . what is the absolute reference point for taking those sea level measurements?

Just curious . . . 
      September 10, 2017 3:12 PM MDT

Yawn . . . (the Internet probably has a list of the shades of lipstick most often worn by Kim Kardashian . . . and both lists are equally accurate, and equally important . . . )

A BIG chunk of Holland is below sea level having been "re-claimed" from the sea by the Zuiderzeewerken" . The same for Manhattan Island although the engineering techniques used were somewhat different than those used in Holland.

Let's not forget about the earth's surface being changed due to geologic activity that has nothing to do with the perceived surface warming activity; all that vaulting, fracturing and igneous intrusion into the earth's crust due to volcanic and seismic activity. And then there's the question as to how "mean sea level" is determined in the first place, what "absolute" reference is used for that measurement. 

This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at September 10, 2017 4:20 PM MDT
      September 10, 2017 3:06 PM MDT