Active Now

WelbyQuentin
DannyPetti
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » Have you ever had your DNA analyzed to identify your heritage?

Have you ever had your DNA analyzed to identify your heritage?

If so, what did you discover?
If not, why?

Posted - September 12, 2017

Responses

Not really, but I'm thinking about it.
      September 12, 2017 10:33 AM MDT

For what?  So you can see where your ancestors came from?  Okay, I guess.
      September 12, 2017 10:35 AM MDT

I'm a black guy and I guess my ancestors were black guys too. Black guys from Africa most likely.
      September 12, 2017 10:49 AM MDT

It's weird but I am more interested in YOUR lineage than my own.  You guys at least had some cool tribes to hail from.  I guess I know so much about history to do with Italy and Ireland that I am bored with me.

But Africa is cooler for some reason.  LOL  They have different ways of thinking than Europeans.  I am fascinated with people's who think in a different manner. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 12, 2017 10:54 AM MDT
      September 12, 2017 10:50 AM MDT

I'm curious to know your motivations as well.
      September 12, 2017 10:39 AM MDT

I don't see the point of this boring fad.

So why?  So I can go into a room and start boring people with who my ancestors were?  I really don't care.  They have zero to do with me.

I can see why some would have an interest in this if they are people who are interested in lineage, etc.   There are good reasons to care.

But this is as nauseating to me as that fad of having someone name a freaking star after you.   Or adopting an Asian baby like all your friends are doing.

It is just a fad that is making money right now.  Who cares if I am half Italian and half German, Irish and Scottish?  That is what I think I am, but who cares if I am half black or Chinese?  I don't.  Not in the slightest.

September 12, 2017 10:34 AM MDT

lol I have a star named after me. 

Your ancestry matters in how you're built and how you experience life. 

My son and I have been talking a lot about this and I think I'm giving him a test for Christmas. Although I knew his biological father, and heard some of his ancestry, none of it is conclusive and my son wants to know where his "people" come from. We think there's some Viking and Cherokee in there, but we just don't know. Finding out either would be cool.

I'm considering it as well because my family history is questionable. I'm told I'm half Polish, but also Irish and Scottish on the other side. At the same time, my mom once told me my grandma's father might have been from Spain and I don't know if I really do have any Scottish in me either. My son and I started talking about this months ago, and lately my beau has been remarking about my "olive" skin- he swears I can't just be Polish and Irish- that I must have something else mixed in. *shrugs*

Biology fascinates me. There are some scientists who think our diets are driven by ancestry. i.e. If our people come from places where seafood is the primary diet, we do better on that kind of diet and we usually crave it.  Your ancestry also determines body features. I'd love to be able to tie certain traits I have to adaptations for climate or living conditions of my ancestors. 

Lastly, I think it would be funny if I wind up finding some African heritage mixed in. I hear most people do have a smidge. Overall, it would be hilarious if I discovered that I'm not Polish and Irish like I was raised thinking. Imagine going from that mix to discovering I have Spanish and African ancestors. I'd be floored. I'd want to know more and find out where all the family members came from. 
      September 12, 2017 10:53 AM MDT

LOL

I knew it.  I love your answer, but I knew you would have something like this for me.  lOL

September 12, 2017 10:58 AM MDT

What's the weather like over there today? Clear as far as the eye can see from here. ;)
      September 12, 2017 11:01 AM MDT

There it is ------- German.  That makes you mean, and wanna fight.  My grandmother was German, so I must be the same way.  Actually, all the fights I got into in middle school were with kids who had Germanic last names.  All except one who had a Scottish name.  Then there was the English named kid who was about to beat me up, but I was saved at the last minute by a Mexican- Native American kid. No Mexican- Native American ever did me wrong. I even married a part Cherokee woman. 
      September 12, 2017 12:35 PM MDT

• I haven't done it yet, and I know it's very trendy right now, but it might be interesting to see my ancestry from a genetic point of view. I've already explored much of it through documents and photos (I know my dad's side of the family traces back to the founding of California as a state) and I wouldn't mind finding out more about my Japanese ancestry (which I know less about. The war definitely had something to do with that). So I can see the appeal of it. 

I also know some "ancestry kits" are less reliable than others, some are accused of being a scam, etc. I'd have to research into the best one to do before I tried this. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at September 12, 2017 10:54 AM MDT
      September 12, 2017 10:43 AM MDT

That's cool! 
    I run into the same issue with my Polish heritage. My Polish family spread out through the surrounding countries. Some in Czechoslovakia, others to Russia and Germany. I know my direct ancestors fled to the US just before WWII, but others just a couple of generations back stayed in those countries. I can't tell with 100% certainty if I really am Polish, although that's what I grew up with the strongest ties to.

I haven't picked a company to go with for our tests yet- if you go for it, please keep me posted! I hear some will actually let you link up with "family" if they've taken the test. I think that would be the coolest- to find cousins and stuff living all over the world. 
      September 12, 2017 11:00 AM MDT

No, never, because I already know my heritage: I descend from royalty in a long line of Tilditians. 

~
      September 12, 2017 12:12 PM MDT

Mom says you're 'dopted. 
      September 12, 2017 12:50 PM MDT

She should watch her mouth: with one word, I could have her banished or deported or worse. 

~
      September 12, 2017 5:52 PM MDT

Nah, I already know I'm a mixed Brit. English, Scottish and Irish heritage.    
      September 12, 2017 8:46 PM MDT