Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Is this too dramatic?

Is this too dramatic?

My ex keeps texting that she needs to get some papers from storage at my place.
I told her to stay away from me because her wonderful self being near me makes me want to drink more.
She's coming anyway.
Would getting drunk and leaving our wedding picture on top of her papers all smashed up be too dramatic?

Posted - September 15, 2017

Responses

If you're divorced, that's fine.  If not, check with your lawyer first.
      September 15, 2017 12:05 PM MDT

• Do you think she's up to something?
      September 15, 2017 12:11 PM MDT

You two are still doing quite the little dance with each other.  
      September 15, 2017 12:42 PM MDT

Its confusing. You say shes your ex, yet shes your her wonderful self? I take it you still like her a lot? Do you have a drinking problem already, or do you just drink a lot when she is around. Do you like to drink more?  It depends on what YOU want to do and whats good for YOU. Dont compromise your well being for some extra storage space for her if you dont feel comfortable doing so. If you do feel comfortable doing so, do so. Youll need to fill in a few more details really.
      September 15, 2017 12:46 PM MDT

• I was being sarcastic when I told her"Your wonderful self."
    Do I still like her a lot?
    Yes I love who I thought she was and drinking helps me to forget who she actually is.
    Do I have a drinking problem?
    I did after I found out how much she cheated and then my brother died in a crash.
    Now I only have a beer or 2 maybe once a week when my son isn't with me for the night, but when my ex is going to be near me I start getting anxiety again and I'm also messed up because my sister in law has cancer and I'm worried about my brother's daughter so it gets to be a little much and I feel like having a few beers and smashing my favorite picture of us from our wedding and leaving it where she can see it to show her that I'm still hurting. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at September 15, 2017 4:51 PM MDT
      September 15, 2017 1:01 PM MDT

Ooooooo I feel you bro. If i were you, i would offer to help pay to store her things at a storage unit. You need to chill from her i think. You have enough on your plate. Good luck friend. ;)
      September 15, 2017 1:07 PM MDT

Put her papers elsewhere.  Don't let her have them.   

Do not be there when she comes.  Lock her out and tell her she needs your cooperation before she storms over any time she feels like it.

Tell her you will meet her at some bank and be in the bank and hand her the papers and walk away.

JUST GO. 

No exchange at all.

Screw that.  Let her make APPOINTMENTS that are convenient FOR YOU.  You need to spend your time training this b***ch that she does not any longer walk all over you.   Grow a pair?  It will feel better when you do and she no longer affects you.  That is the biggest gift of all. 

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 15, 2017 3:28 PM MDT
      September 15, 2017 1:41 PM MDT

• Thanks for your support, I appreciate it.
      September 15, 2017 1:58 PM MDT

I think it's time to create some healthy boundaries so you can both heal some. If you have something she needs and is entitled to, you should give it to her without any personal comments. But, that doesn't mean you need to see her. You can leave things in your mailbox or someplace else where she can access it without talking to you. Change the locks to the house if you haven't yet. It sounds harsh, but it's not her home anymore. 

I'm pretty sure that I've said this before, but when I took my required parenting class during my divorce, the teacher told us to treat it like a business relationship. You don't talk about emotions, about the past, about being friends, about what went wrong... nothing. You make arrangements as needed. You keep communication curt, to the point, and cordial. That goes for making arrangements about the kids all the way through handling any divorce-related stuff. 

The marriage is over. Being angry, hurling insults, or trying to cause the other pain will not help in any way, shape, or form. The best thing you can do is to stay on topic and be business-like. You need that kind of distance or you'll fall into a constant trap of each of you trying to hurt the other. You can't heal the wound if you keep pouring salt on it and you can't move past it if you're always putting your energy into it. 
      September 15, 2017 2:30 PM MDT

• Thanks, I put all of her stuff out in the motorhome and left it unlocked for her.
    As far as not hurling insults that train has already left the station I'm afraid.
    I told her to "Stay away from me."
    She said "That's not a problem" instead of "But I love you" like I was hoping so I told her"Yeah f_ck you!"
    So that was that conversation, but I'll work on it.
    Thanks Just Asking.
      September 15, 2017 3:03 PM MDT

If you no longer wish to see her ... get a restraining order for any time other than custody exchanges.
    Package up everything of hers, and FedEx it to her.
      September 15, 2017 2:38 PM MDT

• I should get a lawyer and get organized because I still care too much about her and she couldn't care less about me.
    Thanks, I appreciate the advice. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at September 15, 2017 3:08 PM MDT
      September 15, 2017 3:07 PM MDT

Yea it is a bit dramatic... and thing is... you are better and bigger than that.. that may be how you FEEL but it's  not wise to allow yourself that indulgence.. I am pretty sure she KNOWS how much she hurt you.. and that you are still hurting... it might well be too that she misses you, that she is looking for a way back... you are very vulnerable where she is concerned because you do still have feelings for her.. albeit for the her you thought she was... . be very careful.. the advice others have given to make sure you don't see her is excellent advice..  regardless of what happens in the future with you two, right now you aren't ready to meet her in person.. 
      September 15, 2017 3:12 PM MDT

• I think you're right.
    The last time she came was when my brother died and she spent 2 nights with me and I kissed her whole face and I needed her so bad so I could deal with losing my brother.
    She couldn't look me in the face and she felt guilty sleeping with me and I couldn't sleep and she left at 3 in the morning and I was more confused and stressed than ever so now that I got this news about my brother's wife I have to stay away from my ex because I am vulnerable and I would allow her back just to feel something familiar.
    It would be a disaster so I'm trying to keep my distance because she has been especially nice in her texts lately and I don't know what the hell that means?
    Thanks.
      September 15, 2017 3:24 PM MDT

I think you know in your heart what you need to do .... trust your instincts and good luck 
      September 15, 2017 3:53 PM MDT

TS,
    everyone has given you excellent advice. Work out your feelings before you see her in person. It's so emotionally difficult, my heart goes out to you, having to deal with this right now. 
      September 15, 2017 4:02 PM MDT

• Aww...thanks.
    You and I could start a support group huh?
    LoL.
    Thanks for being a friend.
    : ) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at September 15, 2017 4:08 PM MDT
      September 15, 2017 4:07 PM MDT

Sorry.  I didn't read through everyone's answers.  

Ask her what papers she's looking for, pull them out, and leave them in an envelope on your front step.  OR, bring them to a mutual friend and leave them there for her to pick up.
      September 15, 2017 4:52 PM MDT

• Thanks.
    Yeah, I'm sure she won't tell me, she doesn't even want to share a mailbox with me anymore because she's scared that I'll see all of her unpaid bills etc.
    She is very secretive which is part of why our marriage sucked. I thought we had a lot of money between us but bill collectors were calling and eventually she confessed that she had loans and credit cards maxed out and a lean on her jeep and to my surprise she was really in debt which meant so was I.
    Now that we're not together she still hides everything and keeps secrets. For what, I have no idea? It doesn't matter much now.
    I put her stuff out in the motorhome and left it unlocked so she can get it anytime without running into me.
    Thanks. : )
      September 15, 2017 5:06 PM MDT

Good solution!
      September 15, 2017 9:00 PM MDT