Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » History » The UK has its ROYAL FAMILY. The Kennedys used to be America's Royal Family. Are the Trumps that now? How?

The UK has its ROYAL FAMILY. The Kennedys used to be America's Royal Family. Are the Trumps that now? How?

Posted - September 16, 2017

Responses

No, and neither were the Kennedys. One Kennedy was president, ever. None of Trump's offspring have the nous or the apparent ambition.
    A royal family creates a dynasty. The Kims are certainly the North Korean royal family, ruled by Kim son of Kim son of Kim in a life tenure. That's a monarchy by definition - an ABSOLUTE monarchy as he rules by decree.
    Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II wasn't elected, she's queen because her father was king - and her son (or grandson, HM seems determined to outlive Charles) will succeed her. The House of Windsor (nee Saxe-Coburg, King George V changed it during the First World War as it was obviously a German name and Germany was the enemy). The actual surname is Mountbatten (also changed during the Great War, from Battenberg).
      September 16, 2017 7:03 PM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful and informative reply Sbf. I think the Kennedys were as close to royalty as we  Amreicans shall ever have. Many of them have made service to their country their life's work. The Shrivers created the Special Olympics didn't they? How many  Kennedys and Shrivers are/were politicians? Of course we didn't know about JFK's infidelities until after the fact. That was very disappointing. I wonder if Bobby had not been assassinated during his run for the presidency what he might have done for the country had he been president? He seemed very caring about others...more so than his brother. That belongs in the jar of "what might have been". Eleanor Roosevelt was probably the most effective First Lady we have ever had. Melania just looks pretty and rarely utters a word. Hillary had her own ambitions and came off as very hard and unfeminine. Jackie was elegant and graceful. Other first ladies are often invisible. Anyway as Old School told me recently..."reasonable people can disagree". Than you for your reply Sbf! :)
      September 17, 2017 2:42 AM MDT

I had a lot of time for Michelle Obama. Articulate, intelligent, nobody's fool. If she ran in 2020, she'd win in a landslide - but apparently she's not interested.
      September 17, 2017 5:10 AM MDT

She is way too smart to put herself through that crap TWICE! She saw what they did to her husband and in some ways what they did to her. I think we have not heard the last of the Obamas. I think they have been biding their time and minding their tongues. I think they are not done serving their country. Timing is everything Sbf. Trump is oblivious to it. Obama was a master of it! Remember how cool he was at some dinner and then very soon thereafter made the announcement that Osama Bin Laden was dead? Very cool customer. Played it close to the vest. No Russian ties. No charges of letting "slip" classified information. Thank you for your reply Sbf. I wonder if Melania will dump Trump after he's booted from office? :)
      September 17, 2017 5:17 AM MDT

It's far more likely to be the other way around, Trump's track record points to him getting bored of wives and changing partners. Melania is almost the stereotypical trophy wife, those are always dumpees, not dumpers.
      September 17, 2017 5:23 AM MDT

I don't think she'd have any problem getting another billionaire to marry her. Do you? If it's money she wants she can probably have as much of it as she will ever fantasize about having or needing. Doofus Donny is a real creepy sleazy yucky guy. He is fat and stodgy and impulsive and physically very unappealing. A woman would have to be a grade-A hoor to let that touch her intimately. Just my opinion. I wouldn't want him to shake my hand let alone anything more. Still waters may run deep. Maybe Melania is a smart cookie and is plotting and planning her escape. Or maybe she will simply stick around hoping to be included in his will. I can't imagine that she LOVES him. She is probably repelled by him. But she is keeping up appearances. I see no affection between them. No hand holding. No gazing at one another and smiling as Barack and Michelle ALWAYS DID. A sham marriage maybe? It doesn't matter. I guess we shall see what happens "thereafter". Thank you for your reply Sbf. She is a very beautiful woman and has undoubtedly manipulated that beauty to manipulate men her entire life. Don'tcha think? This post was edited by RosieG at September 17, 2017 5:34 AM MDT
      September 17, 2017 5:33 AM MDT

Nor does Trump have the  nous. Just the ambition.
      September 18, 2017 6:27 AM MDT

No American president and family can be called "royal", even if some of them like to think they are, because the USA is formally a republic.

In the UK, the King or Queen is the sovereign whose spouse is Consort and has a royal title; but the Prime Minister's spouse has no constitutional title or special significance: there is no "First Lady / Gentleman". 

September 17, 2017 6:52 PM MDT