Active Now

Malizz
Spunky
Zack
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » I spilled hot coffee on my hand. How long until it stops burning? :/

I spilled hot coffee on my hand. How long until it stops burning? :/

You'd think I would have done this to myself at least once by now, but nope. It's not a serious burn, just red, but it stings. :/ 

Posted - September 16, 2017

Responses

First degree burn it sounds like---Ice water or cold water as tolerated.  Ten minutes in, ten out.  Analgesic--tylenol, advil, etc.  Should be better in a few hours at most.
      September 16, 2017 2:19 PM MDT

Indeed. Better already. Thank you.
      September 16, 2017 3:46 PM MDT

• Ouch!!
    Maybe run it under some cool water, I don't know?
    When I worked welding and cutting metal hot steel would drip and burn right through my shoes and burn my feet and I always had burns on my hands until I could afford better work gloves and boots. Burns hurt a lot, I feel for you.
    That must be hot coffee, huh?
    Hope it stops hurting soon. : (

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at September 16, 2017 3:46 PM MDT
      September 16, 2017 2:25 PM MDT

Ouch. At least the coffee wasn't like molten lava. D:
    I'm already better. :) 
      September 16, 2017 3:47 PM MDT

• Glad to hear that it's better. : )
    Yeah, I was terribly unsafe at work when I was in my late teens.
    Aside from the painful burns daily I cut my finger to the bone with a grinder, my shirt got caught in a buffing wheel and scratched my chest all up, I had burns all over my arms from grinder sparks and metal stuck in my arms and metal in my eye that the doctor had to take out after it got infected.
    My brother had to wear an eye patch for a while after getting metal stuck in his eye. We always had a sunburn on our necks from the welder and I cut my face open twice from metal sticking out on the back of the truck, we'd get shocked from getting tools out of the truck in the rain while welding and we'd get welder's flash from not having the mask on at the right time. I pulled my groin lifting really heavy sections of steel and probably froze my hands a few times.
    Eventually I bought some good work gear, but I new nothing and didn't care about safety and luckily for me I left the welding business with all of my finders and toes.
      September 16, 2017 5:33 PM MDT

Always, always, always and I do mean always run a burn under a cold tap for as long as humanly possible..  Burns for some reason don't hurt straight away but it's in that stage that the damage is being done and once it starts hurting it's almost  too late..  I'm as guilty as the next person of failing to do that.. but we must as so many times I've been caught out when the burn turns out to be worse than I thought..   I think the advice to put it in cold water for 10 mins as Tom said is good advice but next time tap straight away.. proceed directly to tap do not pass go - hopefully you will feel better soon
      September 16, 2017 3:44 PM MDT

Thanks. I did cold water for several minutes, but then I got lazy and grabbed an ice pack. I know, I know, all the burn advice says no ice because the cold traumatizes the skin, but I didn't want to waste water and live at the sink, so I was careful. 
      September 16, 2017 3:48 PM MDT

Yea I know... we all get tired of standing at the sink and we all think it will be ok... been there many times.. I used to work in a kitchen so I've had plenty of burns and I almost always either couldn't be bothered to run it under the tap or  failed to keep the burn under the tap long enough. Yes ice doesn't do the same thing and I think almost burns it more. 
      September 16, 2017 4:18 PM MDT

I will kiss it to make it better.
      September 16, 2017 4:07 PM MDT

Aww... thank you, E. *hugs*
      September 16, 2017 4:07 PM MDT

September 16, 2017 4:23 PM MDT

It should pass fairly quickly (I managed to accidentally burn the tip of the ring finger of my left hand yesterday by touching a very VERY hot piece of copper strapping that I was silver-brazing it to another piece of copper strapping.) Pain is now gone but I'm still aware of the injury, that will take a while to heal.

But if it's bothering you apply an ointment as needed that has a high concentration of one of the "caines" in it [benzocaine, lidocaine or cocaine (OK, that last one can't be had OTC, but it's damned effective as a topical).  

September 16, 2017 5:11 PM MDT

I've never heard of it being used on skin though. Mucous membranes certainly, but how do you get it to go subdermal on a hand?
      September 16, 2017 6:45 PM MDT

If you're talking about my reference to cocaine I'm not sure how its delivery system works as a topical, perhaps in conjunction with something like dimethyl sulfoxide. But it is listed as a "topical" in some formulations:

https://www.drugbank.ca/drugs/DB00907

As to the others a pediatrician we used to see prescribed lidocaine hydrochloride to be applied by a patch to be tightly taped over the injection site several hours before visits where injectable vaccines would be administered.  The bottle that it came in was clearly marked "For topical use only!" I still have one in the medicine cabinet. (Kids never used the stuff anyhow.)

And now there are a number of OTC medications that include either benzocaine hydrochloride or lidocaine hydrochloride to take the edge off of the pain caused by minor cuts, bruises  and burns.
      September 16, 2017 9:50 PM MDT

I was talking about cocaine itself. The rest of the "caine" family certainly can be applied as topical locals. Cocaine is very occasionally used as a topical in the treatment of oral and nasal pain where the mucous membrane can absorb it. Making it go transdermal could be tricky, methanol esters are containdicated in the treatment of burns.
      September 16, 2017 10:22 PM MDT

OK.

First of all, cocaine is almost always the anesthetic of choice for ambulatory nose and throat surgeries where the patient is not subjected to general anesthesia. Except for certain "celebrities" that seem to have a "natural" tolerance to that particular pharmacuitcial for some reason?  (I even had a Canadian surgeon attempt to use it on me during an outpatient uvulopalatopharyngoplasty procedure when my tonsils refused to stop bleeding and he attempted to correct with electrocauterization (he shrunk those too with the laser); most bitter, foul-tasting stuff I ever experienced; plowed ahead without the benefit of numbing the surgical field.)

Again, not sure how it its absorbed or why its absorption would be any different than any of the other "caines" as they're all in the same basic drug family. I'll have to ask one of my kids that's in that game. (One's a nurse and the other is in med school, a fellow student and friend has a PhD in Pharmacology so the answer is certainly available to them if they don't already know.)

And I'm not sure why you mention methanol esters. While cocaine is an ester like Procaine, Tetracaine and Benzocaine it's NOT a methanol derivative. (The other members of the caine family are amides.) And any carriers for them would not necessarily be methanols either. In fact, I'm not so certain that a cocaine solution or paste wouldn't be absorbed directly into the skin without benefit of a special carrier. After all, one of the characteristics of mucus membrane is that it's moist.

https://www.esbalabs.com/how-do-skin-numbing-topical-anesthetics-work.html This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at September 16, 2017 11:32 PM MDT
      September 16, 2017 11:30 PM MDT

Methanol is added to salicylic acid to make it go transdermal - oil of wintergreen, found in liniment and topical creams used for the treatment of muscular pain. Not recommended for the treatment of burns, for obvious reasons, and I doubt it would be suitable as an admixture with cocaine. Amides are synthetic derivatives that don't require a carrier, natural cocaine does - you'd need something that penetrates skin quickly.  It's used in subdermal surgery for obvious reasons - not only analgaesia but it's a vasoconstictor as well, so it minimises bleeding. (Dad was a paramedic, his brother a pharmacist and I heard them dicussing it more than once).
    Mucous membranes are permeable, skin isn't or you'd melt in the rain.
      September 16, 2017 11:42 PM MDT

We're not talking about aspirin or some snake oil OTC balm here. Cocaine is always used under the direct supervision of medical professionals and can have a radically different delivery system than OTC medications for that very reason. (Again, look up DMSO. It will carry anything that will dissolve in it (and most things will as it's primarily an industrial solvent) through the skin. A popular demo of that effect is to dissolve garlic oil in it and then stick your finger into the solution. You will literally "taste" the garlic almost immediately.

Oh, your skin most certainly does absorb water. Why do you think that you look like a prune after staying in the bathwater for an extended period of time? This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at September 17, 2017 12:28 AM MDT
      September 17, 2017 12:25 AM MDT

Of course skin absorbs water - but not quickly enough for a topical analgaesic to be effective. As you pointed out, it takes "an extended period of time". If you want slow release, that's fine.
      September 17, 2017 5:19 AM MDT

And now we're back to a carrier like DMSO . . . but cocaine IS dispensed as a topical. Check the PDR, again and stop trying to argue a subject that you have little knowledge of.
      September 18, 2017 4:13 PM MDT

Put something on it and leave it alone. 
      September 16, 2017 5:19 PM MDT

• "I always use Noxzema on minor burns ...

including sunburn."  It will keep it from peeling.
      September 16, 2017 6:03 PM MDT

• I burned my hand on a Pop Tart once and the burning lasted all day. To ease the pain I walked around with a cool wet paper towel wrapped around the burn and periodically changed out the towel. It helped. By the end of the day the burning had significantly lessened. 
      September 16, 2017 7:49 PM MDT

But the hand in a bucket of cool but not cold water and keep it there for several hours so the burn-poisons can diffuse out of you and  into the water. That is usually enough for burns that do not makes burn holes in the skin. This post was edited by JakobA the unAmerican. at September 16, 2017 10:56 PM MDT
      September 16, 2017 10:55 PM MDT