Discussion » Questions » Language » I have been told that GREED and HATE are not diseases. In fact they are. See below for the dictionary definition. Didja know?

I have been told that GREED and HATE are not diseases. In fact they are. See below for the dictionary definition. Didja know?

The 3rd Dictionary definition of DISEASE is as follows

"Any harmful, depraved or morbid condition of the mind or society"

How does that not fit perfectly with HATE and GREED? They are harmful, depraved and certainly a morbid condition of society. Who would argue otherwise?

Posted - September 17, 2017

Responses

No, they're not.

But they are some of the reasons why we have survived as a species on this miserable 3rd rock from the sun.
      September 17, 2017 3:00 PM MDT

Texasescimo:  Whatever disenchantment you detect in my tone stems from your insistence on yammering on with rote scripture and not thinking for yourself. The devil can quote scripture for his purpose. What you perceive as hostility (persecution complex?) is merely pity and disappointment. 
    Catholic Saints are nothing more than the vile Church's private Hall of Fame, elevating it's favorite mortal minions to a contrived state of quasi-divinity. Shameless self glorification and institutional vanity.  
    In my 35+ years of studying all aspects of theism, belief and mythologies, it has become quite clear that one cannot convince a believer of anything, can't reason with them, because their views aren't based on reason or proof or evidence, but on a deep-seated NEED to believe. I'll leave you with yours, Texas, with my sympathies on the irreplaceable time you've probably squandered on your knees, talking to yourself. This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 19, 2017 4:30 PM MDT
      September 19, 2017 9:03 AM MDT

Ohhhh Donnie, you are gonna catch it hot.  Them there THUMPERS are going to site you to death and talk you to death.  They just gotta have the last word.  It is the power of Christ that commands them.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 19, 2017 9:30 AM MDT
      September 19, 2017 9:10 AM MDT

Only if I allow it...,but I won't. 
      September 19, 2017 9:26 AM MDT

I'm rooting for you.
      September 19, 2017 9:30 AM MDT

Boy, are you a sight for sore eyes.
      September 19, 2017 9:53 AM MDT

Hey Tom. Likewise. 
      September 19, 2017 9:55 AM MDT

I see you have accumulated cheerleaders. Persecution complex? It's apparently well documented that the Catholic Church is the most persecuted of all. I recommend that you don't say anything else about the Catholic Church on this site, if you wan't your stay here to be peaceful anyway. 

(Catholic Encyclopedia)
    https://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11703a.htm
    But most deplorable of all persecutions have been those that Catholicism has suffered from other Christians.
      September 19, 2017 2:28 PM MDT

I didn't alledge your complex was unjustified, but only question if you chose to play that card here. It's also plenty well documented that the Catholic Church has done it's share of persecuting as well. A long dark history indeed.

I welcome all coherent challenges to my position. 

That aside, I recommend you explore using your own words and thoughts in your commentary, instead of parroting scripture. You might surprise yourself.  This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 19, 2017 4:56 PM MDT
      September 19, 2017 2:46 PM MDT

As to 'long dark history' of the Catholic Church including the Crusades and the Inquistion you mentioned in your first comment to me, it's been explained to me that we don't fully understand that part of God's plan for his Catholic Church. I've also heard of persecution of Catholic Tutsis in Rwanda, persecution of Catholics by the NAZI's.
      September 19, 2017 3:52 PM MDT

As I explained in a previous comment, there is no convincing believers.

You should read up on the very first treaty of cooperation that was entered by the Nazis with a foreign entity was with The Vatican. It's clear "what's been explained to you" is sorely lacking.

The despicable Crusades have less to do with "God's will" than with the greed and vanity of the corrupt Papacy.

Do your own homework, explore outside of the bias of your faith-based sources, and maybe we'll have something meaningful to discuss. This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 19, 2017 5:36 PM MDT
      September 19, 2017 4:27 PM MDT

Thanks, you make sense in some of that.
      September 19, 2017 5:38 PM MDT

Just to be clear---It is obvious that if God exists, He has not yet explained (unless I missed the memo and assuming we could understand the explanation) of the roll of "suffering" in the lives of us humans or the responsibility of of those who impose that suffering (regardless of their alleged motivation) on those we call victims.

It is humans who inflict suffering, not organizations, regardless of whose banners they march under.

September 19, 2017 5:19 PM MDT

Sorry tom, I was trying to get an outside opinion of some of the things you and other Catholic sources have told me in relation to some supposed Catholic atrocities. Cheer on.
      September 19, 2017 5:39 PM MDT

Exactly, Tom. It is humans who hoist those banners, form the organizations, and determine their agendas. 
      September 19, 2017 5:41 PM MDT

Don't flatter yourself.

We know the moves that the Evangelicals play.  We know them all.  Mention anything GOD and they just gotta blast their knowledge and "priceless" advice.
      September 21, 2017 8:58 AM MDT

Not sure how the comment you responded to somehow flattered myself? Please show me, here is what you just responded to again:
    (I see you have accumulated cheerleaders. Persecution complex? It's apparently well documented that the Catholic Church is the most persecuted of all. I recommend that you don't say anything else about the Catholic Church on this site, if you wan't your stay here to be peaceful anyway. 

(Catholic Encyclopedia)
    https://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11703a.htm
    But most deplorable of all persecutions have been those that Catholicism has suffered from other Christians.)

Did you use two common argument fallacies? Love your we against you mentality. I am sure that the more demeaning you can talk to me that your usual partners (we) in hate mongering will be here.

Band Wagon
    The basic fallacy of democracy: that popular ideas are necessarily right. 

Ad hominem - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem

Ad hominem short for argumentum ad hominem, is where an argument is rebutted by attacking the character, motive, or other attribute of the person making the ...

Your logical fallacy is ad hominem

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/ad-hominem

Ad hominem attacks can take the form of overtly attacking somebody, or more subtly casting doubt on their character or personal attributes as a way to discredit ...
      September 21, 2017 9:17 AM MDT

Only YOU would need an explanation of what that means.

ONLY YOU.

It means that you think we are worried or talking about YOU.

You are just one brick in the wall of Right Wing Entitled God is on my side silly-billies.

September 21, 2017 9:20 AM MDT

Okay, I get it, you like to label people to make them seem some how of lesser value than yourself. I guess I fall into your definition of an 'Right Wing' 'Evangelical' and therefore I should just shut up as they are of no value to you.
    "We know the moves that the Evangelicals play"
    "You are just one brick in the wall of Right Wing Entitled God is on my side silly-billies."

"It means that you think we are worried or talking about YOU." 
    Sorry, I thought that when you respond to one of my comments and say something like "YOU", that you were talking about me, or even to me.

You really confuse me. You have apologized to me several times on both answerbag and answermug yet you seem to not be able to control your aggression, anger, hate or whatever issue you have towards me and/or the Bible and my beliefs.
      September 21, 2017 9:31 AM MDT

No you don't get it.  You don't seem to get anything I say, actually.  I don't label, YOU label.   You have to be the be-all, end-all on the subject of all things GOD.

You have labeled YOURSELF and that shoe more than fits, buddy. 

I have apologized to you because I know you cannot help yourself and fighting about it does not help.  I am not even slightly angry.  And once again, I apologize if you take any of this to heart.  I can go for the jugular. 

That does NOT MEAN THAT YOU DID NOT DESERVE IT.  You deserved that and much more from me.  SO, my apology was because I don't want to personally hurt anyone.  But when you keep it up, like you just did now?  No one was even talking to you.  I am going to tell you what I think.

I am having a glorious day and you don't make me angry.  Don't flatter yourself. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at September 21, 2017 2:11 PM MDT
      September 21, 2017 9:34 AM MDT

Video to express how you jeer and laugh at me?
    Go back and reread our comments to each other and tell me where I labeled anyone? 

Why do you keep making false assumptions about me? I don't at all think that I am "the be-all, end-all on the subject of all things GOD". I believe the Bible to be God's word and that in the near future, Jesus will resolve all of our problems.

I don't have a god-man that talks to me individually and gives me special revelations. Some people might think that's a little strange.
      September 21, 2017 9:46 AM MDT

You are right Rosie.
    Just ask the ones who run the banks and the government.
      September 20, 2017 11:50 AM MDT