Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Have you ever gone to a Wild Game Supper?

Have you ever gone to a Wild Game Supper?

I was invited to a Wild Game Supper last night.  When I saw the club it was being held at, I was fearful all they would serve up would be roadkill.  But, I was pleasantly surprised.  A chef from a posh restaurant in a posh town cooked the meals.  Among other things, he made a wonderful venison stew, moose & venison spicy meatballs, moose and venison lasagna (my favorite dish), and wild turkey enchiladas.  

They then held a raffle and auction.  I didn't win the Henry .45-70 Steel Wildlife Edition Rifle that I wanted.  I thought I had managed to talk the two guys selling the tickets to rig it for me. After they got over their shock that I wanted a chance in the raffle, they told me I would look amazing holding it.  I told them I knew that and they needed to make it happen!   They said they would do what they could. But they didn't do nuthin'.  :-(    

However, I did win a bottle of jailhouse toilet raisin wine.  

Posted - September 17, 2017

Responses

She has her good days & bad.  This is just the tip of the iceberg on one of her bad ones. 
      September 18, 2017 3:16 PM MDT

It's okay. I'll love her through her crabbiness.     
      September 18, 2017 3:22 PM MDT

Shar, I understand you don't eat meat, but I do.  I don't get snarky with, or make fun of, vegetarians & vegans. It's their choice, and I happen to be a freak for vegetables myself.  But, I shouldn't be condemned for choosing to eat this meat.  In Cali you don't have the problem of overpopulation the way we do in VT & NH.  I've seen what happens when herds aren't culled.  I was recently visiting Westchester County, in New York.  The deer & rabbit populations are completely out of control.  Every time I visit, it seems to be getting worse and worse.  Both species do a lot of damage and food sources are limited. You see dead deer lying up and down the thruway.  Right or wrong, culling the herd & wildlife management in general, is a necessity in certain areas. 
      September 18, 2017 3:35 PM MDT

Yes......it was a bit of a Boar ...or for a bit of it actually ... :)p
      September 18, 2017 3:41 PM MDT

Hey!

Don't'cha be "harshin'" on roadkill! Nothin' finer that a big ol' plate of "Truck-Struck Woodchunk".

Seriously, there were more that a few wild game suppers at my house in the fall season. Squirrel (rats with bushy tails) pot-pie was on the menu. So was rabbit (available in supermarkets in the area that I now live in now-a-days), ruffed grouse, ring-neck pheasant, wild turkey (and not just the stuff in the bottle), an occasional chicken when the neighbor's got out of their pens (just kidding about that, mostly) . . . And, of course, venison. Lots of that. Even had it made into bologna at a Mennonite packing plant that was a "fer piece" away from our house; oh, deer. 
      September 18, 2017 3:51 PM MDT

How was the bologna?  I haven't tried that.  They must have mixed in some pork or other animal fat in there.  The Moose & Venison meatballs were very lean, no fat at all, but they weren't dry and the seasoning, along with the sauce, made them delicious.  I spoke with the chef.  That guy was impressive.
      September 18, 2017 5:57 PM MDT

You're right. Venison is too much on the lean side to make good bologna by itself, too dry as you say. But we had it mixed with fat pork or beef (don't remember which off the top of my head) in a ration of about 3 to 1. It always came out of the smoker at the locker plant just about perfect. 
      September 21, 2017 12:30 AM MDT

Sounds good.  I'll have to see if any of my friends manage to bag a deer during hunting season, and tell them to see if the guy they use will make bologna.  I've had some pretty good venison jerky that tasted like salami.
      September 21, 2017 6:00 AM MDT