Discussion » Questions » Emotions » When you’re having a bad day, what do you do to make yourself feel better?

When you’re having a bad day, what do you do to make yourself feel better?

Posted - September 19, 2017

Responses

Wow, Zack - Mr.GenXer - - I did not see your question before I posted a recent "statement."

At the moment, the Serenity Prayer sort of helps. I'd think it could help even if one is not a believer.

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

I also exercise and talk with close friends.

:)

~ sorry -- my first posting I spelled your name wrong

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at September 19, 2017 10:49 PM MDT
      September 19, 2017 10:50 AM MDT

Hey, thanks, for a pick, Zack - Mr.GenXer.
      September 19, 2017 10:59 AM MDT

I listen to this tape and it works.  It works.  

September 19, 2017 11:00 AM MDT

I have to leave now but I will listen, yes. I think I may have seen this if you have posted this before  -- no matter, I appreciate your posting it!
    Thanks, Shar to the Rona!
      September 19, 2017 11:03 AM MDT

There is a saying that I read many many years ago that may help if you think about it for a while and then re-evaluate your opinion about what's going on.

"It's not what happens to you in life; it's what you tell yourself about what is happening."

I'm not suggesting that you "trick" yourself or "look on the bright side."

If you need to grieve, do so---and then, if you choose not to get back on the horse, don't, but at least remember which direction is forward.
      September 19, 2017 11:16 AM MDT

I have a couple of shots and come here.
      September 19, 2017 11:32 AM MDT

I turn on my car radio to the Christian station and listen to bible studies on my way to and from class. 
    Uplifting music is always a blessing as well. 
      September 19, 2017 11:48 AM MDT

get centered
    beyond the mind
    beyond the ego
    and go into meditation
    instantly all problems disappear
    and exquisite bliss emerges
    ...just simple deep meditation
    on the light within...

September 19, 2017 4:31 PM MDT

• Two activities often serve the function of improving my mood on a bad day: one is going outside. This can just mean sitting outside in a chair, enjoying the sun, the air, the plants, it could mean going for a walk or a bike ride, but in some way going outside and immersing myself in nature. This works, though it works best on a sunny warm day. Otherwise one thing that always works for me is listening to good music. It can be anything, really, doesn't necessarily have to be "uplifting" music, but music in general I find cathartic. Just a couple days ago I was in a bad mood almost all day until I came home from work and listened to excellent classical music and it completely changed how I was feeling. I think what both of these activities have in common is that they are some meditative and allow for some isolation while imbuing yourself with something other than the negative thoughts that have been ruining your day. 
      September 19, 2017 10:26 PM MDT

I try not to think, I try to keep my mind blank, it's not easy, but once you master this, it helps you face calamity with a calm mind;)) Give your mind a rest, practice not-thinking...it really works;))
      September 19, 2017 10:58 PM MDT