Active Now

Randy D
Zack
Discussion » Questions » answerMug » What exactly does the Search option in the black bar at the top help you search? Every attempt of mine to search anything has drawn a blank.

What exactly does the Search option in the black bar at the top help you search? Every attempt of mine to search anything has drawn a blank.

Posted - September 21, 2017

Responses

This is NO help at all, but just a point of interest.  I never used that before, nor even noticed it's existence. LOL
    All I see is Donald.

September 21, 2017 11:38 AM MDT

(its existence.)

No apostrophe. 

September 27, 2017 6:57 PM MDT

I've wondered the same thing. If you put in key words or a key word you said looking for a thread, nothing, zilch, nata, like you never posted that on answermug. I just put your user name in it and hit enter and a link to your profile page came up so maybe its just so you can find a particular user?
      September 21, 2017 11:48 AM MDT

It's actually broken. It needs to be replaced. Sorry!
      September 21, 2017 3:36 PM MDT

I typed in 'Neelie'and it came up, so I guess one can search for users.
      September 21, 2017 5:38 PM MDT

Yeah, it shows some things. The problem is, the site has many of the same privacy settings we were used to with our old site, but they don't work the same. This one is just nonsensical when it comes to privacy, and I didn't realize it until the migration was done. For example, all the blogs, even the private ones, became non private during the migration, so I thought I'd "fix" the problem by making them all private, only you could still see the title and click on it. It would just take you to a no-no page instead. That sucked, and I had to have the dev fix that. The photos did the same thing, but the problem was, you could still see the photos in previews, even if they were marked as private. I didn't want to delay the relaunch of the site any longer, so I just deleted all the photos and did away with any expectation of privacy going forward.

Alas, we had been fully-operational for quite some time before a certain Mugger came to me and said, "Hey, JA, you know everyone can see everything you post in the Mod Group, right?" Ummm... no. lol They thought it was us being transparent. It was an accident. Although I really don't care if people know what I do as an admin, it's kind of dumb to remove something and then repost it for everyone to read again. Half the reason we remove stuff is to stop it from snowballing and ticking people off. So, we fixed that but it turned out, people who ran searches would still get results from the Mug Mod group, even if they couldn't physically go into the group. Not good. 

The way we structure the mod group postings, so we can track stuff, is that we put the person's name and what we contacted them about in the heading, and then we paste the content we removed or our letter to them in the description. So, one might read "Just Asking: Cursing Edited" with the description saying "Contacted member about editing the phrase 'The privacy settings on this site are a censored joke.'" Unfortunately, even after people stopped being able to get into the group, they might be able to search for my name and see all the things I had been moderated for. Or, they might find out that maybe I talked crap about you five years ago, and then they might be mad at me and start fights with me now over it. 

So, I basically told the dev to break it. Break it as hard and as fast as he could. lol I have no idea what he did, but he did manage to "fix"the immediate concern, which was stopping the MugMod discussions from showing up. And, he broke a bunch of other stuff in the process. I'm cool with that for the interim. Fixing the search is on the to-do list, but it isn't a priority. 

For those who need better functionality for now, you can actually use Google to search just answerMug for something. You'll go into google and type site:answermug before your search query. i.e. If I wanted to look for things that reference element, I would use site:answermug.com element and it would only show stuff from here. It's an added step, but it works for now. 
      September 21, 2017 7:10 PM MDT