Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » I do not understand how anyone can believe in God and believe in The Donald John simultaneously. Aren't they mutually exclusive icons?

I do not understand how anyone can believe in God and believe in The Donald John simultaneously. Aren't they mutually exclusive icons?

Posted - September 24, 2017

Responses

The problem is Trump isn't imaginary. He's real, detestable, and in a position to truly screw things up. 

According to his legend, God has killed millions, and created everything from nothing.

By contrast, Trump is killing the Presidency and creating chaos in everything and achieving nothing. 

It is a great irony that both characters rose to prominence from mass ignorance. Both are vain, wrathful and capricious. Neither are worthy of praise or glorification, yet both seem to demand them to prop up their egos.  This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 24, 2017 5:10 AM MDT
      September 24, 2017 5:05 AM MDT

Whom do you detest more Don B? The real Doofus Donny,an imaginary God, or those who believe in God? Do you equate them then as being equally vile, evil? You say both are all those things as if you knew. You don't know anything. No one does. All you have is opinion, conjecture,imagination, wishful thinking. You have specific beliefs and set yourself up as the arbiter of truth for all. Isn't that a teeny bit presumptuous? Of course you have a right to presume/assume whatever you like. FOR YOURSELF. But your pronouncement that "both characters arose from mass ignorance" is more than a little bit condescending. You say both are vain, wrathful, capricious and not worthy of praise or worship. I take it you are also disdainful of those who believe in God then because that does not comport with your beliefs? You can certainly take comfort in knowing that you're not unique or singular or alone in that view. There are many more in the world like you. It is what it is. You are whom you are and I am me. There is no escaping that. I disagree with your reply but acknowledge your right to it. I do take specific and personal exception however to your calling me ignorant.  That is based on what exactly? Do you have proof..irrefutable proof..that what you say is so is really so or is that simply your opining based on your beliefs? I dunno. It's not easy to chat with someone who looks down on you as being "less than" which is what you have done to me. Thank you for your reply. This post was edited by RosieG at September 24, 2017 5:21 AM MDT
      September 24, 2017 5:17 AM MDT

Here's the thing, Rosie: when you post questions on this site, you are seeking opinions. Not all opinions will be to your liking. It's not rational to think you'd agree with all of them. That's the chance you take. 

Let it be understood that I don't particularly care if you approve of my positions or not, I don't frequent this site because I crave approval or validation. You are free to agree or not. Responding is also your choice. 

No, I don't detest believers, nor their gods, and never stated that I do. As far as that goes, my issues are with the belief systems they propagate, but it should be of no concern to them either way. You seem prone to reading more into commentary than is actually there, I won't be accountable for your perceptions. I have never called you ignorant, and since you are clearly not responsible for the prominence of the two personalities discussed here, you are not encompassed by my commentary thus. 

I can assure you that I will continue to reply to questions on this site as it amuses me to do so, and you may take from it what you will, with my blessing. Perhaps you might temper your future posts with this in mind. This post was edited by Don Barzini at September 25, 2017 5:01 AM MDT
      September 24, 2017 5:45 AM MDT

You are free to use any and all words that come to mind Don. I keep that right for myself as well. I don't "temper". I don't edit. I don't withhold. I say what I feel and believe. You either like it or don't like it. That is of no concern to me. What I say here I honestly feel and believe. I know I'm not everyone's cuppa. I don't intend to be. It is not popularity I seek. It is conversation, dialogue, engagement. What I do ask for is civility. If we disagree so what? It is HOW we disagree that matters to me.  Don't attack me personally for what I believe and I will accord you the same in return.  I know there are landmines and eggshells here. I don't try to avoid them. I expect folks to either reply or ignore me. Either way I win.  Why? Because I have to ask questions or they will badger me endlessly and I'm able to ask them and that is why I'm here. Sometimes I strike it rich and get some wonderfully thoughtful, informative, educational replies. It is the chance that I will get lucky that keeps me coming back here. I don't know if you can find any sense in any of this. Rest assured that what you said won't change me in any way. if that is not to your liking I understand why you may not ever again answer my questions. It is your choice of course. Thank you for your reply.
      September 25, 2017 3:48 AM MDT

An icon (from Greek εἰκών eikōn "image") is a religious work of art.
    God is not a religious work of art, neither is Donald John.
    Can you believe in God and believe in Hilary Clinton simultaneously?
    How is Donald John worshiped?
    Don't forget, worshiped and liked have different meanings.
      September 24, 2017 12:49 PM MDT

That is true if you stay strictly to the dictionary definition. Have you never heard of any human being referred to as an ICON of business or show business or literature? Isn't Bill Gate an ICON in his business? It is in the vernacular of our times antib that I employ that word. To some  Donald John is an ICON in the business world because he is a successful billionaire. Michael Jordan is an ICON to basketball fans. Tiger Woods is or was an ICON in golf. Pick any sport..any business..any profession and some folks will stand out head and shoulders above the rest. Lincoln was an Iconic president. He is revered and venerated and referred to as one of the greats. Why else is there a status of him in  Washington, D.C.? Some think Michael Jackson was an ICON in the entertainment. Or Elvis Presley. The Beatles? Nelson Mandela is an ICON as is Martin Luther King, Jr. If you have never heard the word used as I have described then I can understand your reply. Perhaps you have and you just forgot. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday.
      September 25, 2017 3:59 AM MDT

Is Adolf Hitler an icon?
    Is Osama Bin laden an icon?
      September 25, 2017 4:54 PM MDT

Yes, by definition, to some Hitler and Osama are icons. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=person+described+as+icon&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&oq=person+described+as+icon&aqs=chrome..69i57.5294j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    An icon is a symbol. ... In certain religions, statues of religious figures are referred to as icons––because they are prayed to as if they were the thing they represent. Icon can also describe a person closely linked to an idea.
      September 25, 2017 7:18 PM MDT

Are you an icon?

September 26, 2017 4:29 PM MDT

To you perhaps. lol
      September 26, 2017 4:41 PM MDT

Will Netanyahu and Hitler, Bin Laden and Pope Paul II eat, sing and dance together in Paradise?
      September 27, 2017 3:38 AM MDT

I personally doubt it. What a weird question, do you think they will?
      September 27, 2017 4:46 AM MDT

Yey, it's your Paradise, not mine.

September 27, 2017 4:06 PM MDT

Fair enough.
    (Luke 23:43) And he said to him: “Truly I tell you today, you will be with me in Paradise.”
      September 27, 2017 4:17 PM MDT

Neither are icons. Get a dictionary please.

And they are not mutually exclusive.
      September 24, 2017 1:47 PM MDT

I certainly believe in God. 
    I believe in Trump....like him or dislike him....he is a real live person.
      September 24, 2017 3:21 PM MDT

I believe in God, and I also believe in birds.

Both of those things make sense to me.

Donald Trump doesn't meet that criteria.

September 25, 2017 5:05 PM MDT

I do not understand how anyone can believe in God and believe in The Donald John simultaneously. Aren't they mutually exclusive icons?

1. One way of believing in God, Donald Trump or anyone in power is to believe what is credible, makes sense, is beneficial, from them and to question, very critically and relentlessly, what does not. Failing to do so could make us [if we're lucky enough to survive] complicit in any harm or damage that ensues from believing in them.

2. We're all here together and have some sort of impact one on another, especially in today's world as it shrinks into one global village. So no one is really totally mutually exclusive from the rest.
      September 28, 2017 4:44 AM MDT