Active Now

Maurice214
Malizz
Element 99
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Business » If a car dealer sent you a photo of a luxury vehicle in front of your home, would you think it was cool or intrusive?

If a car dealer sent you a photo of a luxury vehicle in front of your home, would you think it was cool or intrusive?

Apparently a Canadian ad agency did this for a Porsche dealership some years ago, and the campaign is often hailed as a success in the marketing world because a lot of people went to the website listed on the card. In marketing, mailers almost always get under 10% response rate- some hover between 2-5%, and this campaign got 32%.

But, to me, the idea seems really intrusive, and would be a guarantee that I'd never do business with the company. I might check the website to see who the heck was at my house (which for their statistical purposes counts as a response), but I'd be really put off by the company. The advertising agency says not one person called to complain. 

How do you think you'd respond to an ad like that?

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2012/07/31/toronto_area_porsche_dealership_parks_car_near_driveways_of_affluent_homes_in_instant_direct_marketing.html 

Posted - September 27, 2017

Responses

I would use it as my Christmas card.
      September 27, 2017 11:49 AM MDT

LOL!
      September 27, 2017 12:47 PM MDT

I would have irrefutable evidence that he (or she) had been trespassing, had passed beyond a secured gate, and I would prosecute.
      September 27, 2017 12:53 PM MDT

I would drive it to the 'hood' and leave the key in it. Or give it to a homeless crackhead.
      September 27, 2017 1:01 PM MDT

I'd rather have a top notch riding lawn mower in my driveway.
      September 27, 2017 1:32 PM MDT

If it were Porsche, HECK...  Please allow me to count  the ways I would turn that into a HUGE profitable benefit for Don and me:

1.  I would require 6 Porsches of my choice, free of charge, taxes, and any other little thing they tack on to the ticket price.  One for Don, my mom, my dad, my sister, myself, and one always as a back-up or change of driving experience.  I would need to always have the option to upgrade at any given time... literally, from here to eternity, free of any charges, of course. :)
    2.  Free services and upkeep on all vehicles for life.
    3.  All insurances paid while owning the vehicles.
    4.  5% kickback on all sales of advertised car in front of my house.
    5.  Free tickets to all events Porsche' promotes or sponsors with V.I.P. treatment.

Instead of being mad at them, I would use that same ad and put my house on the market.  They may have inadvertently upgraded its value.

September 27, 2017 2:07 PM MDT

uncool
    matter of fact
    TACKY
    unless of course they left the keys in it
    and there was the title with my name on it as the sole owner
    and nothing due.
    LOLOLOL

This post was edited by Baba at September 27, 2017 8:52 PM MDT
      September 27, 2017 8:48 PM MDT