Discussion » Questions » Business » You're 1/2 through your day & notice you were scheduled to work. No one called, either. Would you scramble and still go or not go at all?

You're 1/2 through your day & notice you were scheduled to work. No one called, either. Would you scramble and still go or not go at all?

Posted - September 27, 2017

Responses

How would I notice I was scheduled for work?   Meh, okay.  Never mind.

If no one called and the day was halfway over, no, I wouldn't go in.  I'd already be in trouble so, I'd say I didn't see me on the schedule, no one talked to me about it, and no one called.  I'd also say, "Are you sure someone didn't change the schedule since it first came out on ______ day?  I think someone changed it and didn't tell me on purpose! Why would you do that?"  as I pointed to Jeff, the guy that everybody hates and thinks is a huge troublemaker at work.   

September 27, 2017 4:28 PM MDT

I like your style!  I freaked and got dressed and thought wait a second... Obviously they aren't skipping through the weeds and are fine.  Besides, I've been working overtime for the last 6 months and I really needed a day off anyway.  
    Thanks Harry!!  I feel tons better.  I think I'll crack that beer now.  CHEERS!!! :P
      September 27, 2017 5:09 PM MDT

I didn't realize this happened to you. lol.  Glad I could help.   Yeah, blame Jeff.  He's an annoying f*cker.

September 27, 2017 6:07 PM MDT

Not go at all. I'd play completely dumb. Comes very easily.
      September 27, 2017 4:59 PM MDT

Sound advice Lyrical.  I feel better.  Two people I admire and trust not only said the similar thing but also would stay home.  I'm going to do the same.  :) :)  I can wear these shorts and t-shirt tomorrow.  It will save on laundry, too! Yea!!
      September 27, 2017 5:11 PM MDT

Wait, Merlie, aren't you offended that no one missed you, that no one was alarmed at your unexplained absence and had the police department drag the rivers for your body?

~
      September 27, 2017 5:59 PM MDT

Image result for pictures of dogs swimming
    Hi Randy D~ Welcome Back!!!  I missed you!!

Yes, now that you mention it, I AM surprised the dogs weren't dragging the river searching desperately for their gourmet food freshly made for them each and every day.  They must be famished.  There will probably be a line of sulking tails and protruding ribs filling the parking lot.... waiting for my return.  Some really angry owners ready to have my throat, on my return tomorrow, too.  I'm sure I will hear an earful. It's almost scary.  People are REALLY, REALLY adamant about their pets, especially the ones who pay for gourmet dog food delivered to their homes and everything.  Spoiled they are... Pets and all.  I spoil all of them.   No rest for the weary.  ;) :) This post was edited by Merlin at September 28, 2017 8:15 AM MDT
      September 27, 2017 6:59 PM MDT

I'm not only a chronic workaholic, I also work a Monday-to-Friday day shift schedule, so it would be an extremely rare event for me to fail to notice an opportunity to go in. If the posted scenario happened for whatever reason, I'd scramble and go in. 

~

September 27, 2017 5:55 PM MDT

No.  You'd be sitting at the bar with me.
      September 27, 2017 6:08 PM MDT

Eggs-actly.
      September 27, 2017 6:31 PM MDT

As Should I!!  We all should be in honor of taking a day off, even if it is done accidentally! 

three beautiful sexy women in bikini in bar on Hawaii at beach bar. Beautiful girls enjoying alcoholic beverage cocktail outside. Smiling happy Caucasian women on Hawaiian beach. Stock Photo - 36087612Randy, we are giving you a "CHEERS" while you are taking the picture.. And now we'll take one of you
    Man Using a Digital Tablet in a Bar : Stock Photo

Image result for pictures of a black men drinking at a bar

Great idea Harry!!

This post was edited by Merlin at September 28, 2017 8:16 AM MDT
      September 27, 2017 8:08 PM MDT

Feeling very guilt ridden, I started to and did that exact same thing, Randy.  But, then I thought about it, asked here and decided it wasn't worth it.  My hours and days?  They all melt into one.  Seriously, I rarely know what day it is.  I think I"m just put on the schedule so other people know I go home at some point.  Otherwise, I've become a permanent fixture there.  The only time I come home is to ... well, I"m sure you know ;) :D :P. 
      September 27, 2017 7:14 PM MDT

well,
    if I were to be late with a client,
    or couldn't make it,
    I always let them know,
    will never leave them hanging...
    sometimes I need to reschedule
    though...due to sudden emergencies sometimes,
    that I must deal with.
      September 27, 2017 8:28 PM MDT

Hi Baba~ And as a client, I would appreciate that immensely.  I would also have made that choice if I were in a position you have described.  
    It is the most considerate, professional and appropriate action to take.  

At the moment, my education and talent entails a position that is hard to explain.  There was a need for me to be there this morning; but, not really.  I have heavy work loads on Mondays and Tuesdays.  Wednesdays are easy days.  I work for two entirely different stores that have two things in common.  They are owned by the same person and both are 100% natural.  I guess three things because I work at both of them.  The retail part of the stores occupy the same space, while the other half of the stores also occupy another store/space.  There is always someone there during the hours of business.  As a manager, I float between the two.  
    Thank you for answering and See you Soon on another question!  Love, Merlin
      September 28, 2017 7:57 AM MDT

Just wait and go in tomorrow.  Tell your boss  you looked at the schedule wrong, which I think might be the truth.  See if you can make up the hours somehow so you won't get docked.
      September 27, 2017 10:07 PM MDT

Good Morning Thriftymaid~ You are absolutely correct.  I did look at it wrong.  She texts all of us our schedules every week.  Mine normally  mimics hers and has for years.  The only time we don't work in unison is when one of us is needed outside of work.  We are a great team.  She's leaving for Aspen the weekend and I knew that but we talked yesterday morning about what we were going to do on our days off.  She was going to the spa with her kids (they are 28 and 30 yrs old) and I was going to clean my house (which I did not :( I had fun instead :)).  Neither of us thought any more about it.  It was a true honest mistake.  I love my jobs and would never do anything intentionally to hurt them or the businesses.
    Thank goodness no one called.  This tells me all went well.  In fact, I probably did her a favor because she won't have to pay me for yesterday!!  It would be nice if she did... but... I wouldn't expect her to.  Have a great day!  Love, Merlin This post was edited by Merlin at September 28, 2017 1:58 PM MDT
      September 28, 2017 8:26 AM MDT

I would scramble to make some scrambled eggs ...sit back and savor;))
      September 27, 2017 11:08 PM MDT

Scrambeled, I did... and those look delicious :)  That is my favorite way to have eggs !  Thank you Veena.K :)  It's Thursday morning and I go in at 11.  I did enjoy my day yesterday.  It was weird though because I talked with the owner yesterday morning because she had the day off too.  Normally she schedules us on the exact same days.  We make the whole thing run.  We even talked about what we were going to do on our day off.  Still, being the who I am, I felt badly.  But, as I said, others didn't call so they must have had a handle on it and nothing when array.  Have a great day Veena :)  Love, Merlin
      September 28, 2017 8:10 AM MDT

Yes. I would still go or else I would be scrambling for the rest of the day wondering what trouble I will be in.

September 28, 2017 8:12 AM MDT

• I never need much persuasion to be work shy
      December 29, 2017 11:04 AM MST