Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Do politicians actually think criminals will obey possible new and more restrictive gun laws?

Do politicians actually think criminals will obey possible new and more restrictive gun laws?

Posted - October 2, 2017

Responses

• Gun laws don't get at the root of the problem. They don't tackle the cultural sickness that tells people that shooting everyone is a solution to your problems. People will always find a way to get guns illegally if they have a desire to kill a bunch of people. It's getting at what causes that desire that's the real issue here. 
      October 2, 2017 12:43 PM MDT

They don't in Chicago.
      October 2, 2017 3:01 PM MDT

Absolutely. In fact, the reason that Congress hasn't repealed the Law of Gravity is that they're afraid that everything will float off the surface of the planet if they do.
      October 2, 2017 3:10 PM MDT

I can get an illegal gun in two hours here.
      October 2, 2017 3:55 PM MDT

I'm not sure there is an answer in the US, guns are ubiquitous - far too easy to get, cheap and people are boneheadedly stupid about where they keep them. Tougher gun laws won't work anymore, they're out in the population and hardly any are registered - so they'll just be hidden. Far too hard to track them down.
    Massacres are hardly ever perpetrated by known criminals - I'm tempted to say "never". They're wack jobs that shouldn't even be loose in the community, never mind allowed easy access to high powered weapons with big magazines. Adam Lanza (the Sandy Hook shooter) didn't even own a gun, his mom was one of those boneheadedly stupid people - why did an old lady own weapons she could hardly even lift, never mind aim properly?
      October 2, 2017 4:33 PM MDT