Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » Are there any significant spiritual difference between Christian rosaries and Buddhist prayer beads.

Are there any significant spiritual difference between Christian rosaries and Buddhist prayer beads.

To me both seem to be just a practical solution to keep track of how far you have gotten in saying/chanting your prayers/mantras

Posted - October 2, 2017

Responses

I’d say they are functionally the same, but the intended audience is different 
      October 2, 2017 7:04 PM MDT

Probably not much.
    "Most people who use the Rosary believe that the practice originated with Christianity. However, historical evidence discloses that the practice of reciting prayers and counting them on a string of beads predated the beginning of Christianity. Commenting on the origin of the Rosary, The World Book Encyclopedia reports: “Prayer beads are of ancient origin, and were probably first used by the Buddhists. Both Buddhists and Muslims make use of them in their prayers.” The Catholic Encyclopedia acknowledges that prayer beads were universally familiar to non-Christians for centuries and were in use long before the Catholic Church adopted the Rosary."
      October 2, 2017 7:07 PM MDT

Congratulations well done, things are improving, you managed that comment without a bombardment of scripture.
      October 2, 2017 7:53 PM MDT

And congratulations to you, you managed to comment without a hate filled tirade and cussing.
      October 2, 2017 8:01 PM MDT

Care to give an example of any ' hate filled tirade' I have made?
      October 2, 2017 8:11 PM MDT

October 2, 2017 8:21 PM MDT

It only matters to those who use them and I would guess the difference is fairly stark in their eyes.  I don't know.  I am in possession of beautiful rosaries given to me by a dear friend whose father gave them to him prior to his death.  It is one of my most loved possessions.  I go to Mass fairly often but I am not Catholic.  
      October 2, 2017 9:57 PM MDT

Result for your first link

Page Not Found

D: You Broke answerMug!

Just kidding. The page you're looking for was removed or moved, for one reason or another. You can use the search bar at the top of the page to look for the content you were hoping to find or check out one of these pages:

Result your second link

Page Not Found

D: You Broke answerMug!

Just kidding. The page you're looking for was removed or moved, for one reason or another. You can use the search bar at the top of the page to look for the content you were hoping to find or check out one of these pages:

Reply to your third link

Definition of diatribe

1archaic :a prolonged discourse
    2:a bitter and abusive speech or piece of writing
    3:ironic or satirical criticism

1) I see nothing prolonged in my posts there.
    2) Would you have me condone a fcuking lunatic who kills random people?
    3) I see nothing ironic in my posts here and I can assure you it is anything but satirical criticism, it is nothing short of outright condemnation. 

Reply to your third link
    As this is rather a long thread I have copied the my last reply here. If you have actually read the entire thread then please explain to me exactly why you see it as a diatribe. All I have done is stick to the original subject, a subject brought up by the other person involved in the thread, this person claimed that good Catholic principles existed and said he was willing to comment on what I felt was wrong with them. This was after I initially wrote 'What exactly would you consider those Catholic principles to be? I can think of many principles that I consider to be wrong and many that the Vatican falls far short of upholding but until such times that you explain these principles, then we could be talking at cross purposes', in reading the entire thread you will realize that the other person has not once given an example of what he considers a good Catholic principle to be, nor has he once commented (as he said he would) on what I considered to be bad Catholic actions brought about by no doubt what he considers to be good Catholic principles. In my reply below I forgot to mention on my list, The good Roman Catholic principles for Roman Catholic Franciscan monks to run Nazi style concentration camps in Croatia, where non Catholics were butchered in the hundreds of thousands and Jews were deported to Germany where they were shown some mercy, in as much as they at least were killed before they were put in the ovens, unlike many of the non Catholics in Croatia?

Definition of diatribe

1archaic :a prolonged discourse
    2:a bitter and abusive speech or piece of writing
    3:ironic or satirical criticism.

1) You may consider this to be long but that is simply because each time the other person refused to do as he said he would, another example of bad Catholic actions was added to the list.
    2) Again would you have me condone any of the bad Catholic actions I list?
    3)  I see nothing ironic in my posts here and I can assure you it is anything but satirical criticism, it is nothing short of outright condemnation of the bad Catholic actions listed.

'It's another way of saying that "one can bring a horse to water, but one can't make him drink' is another way to say that you claim to have good Catholic principles (your trough of water) that you are hiding from others who have asked you to share them.

You hypocrisy is astounding, you accused me of attempting to 'control this dialogue' yet is is you who expects me to jump through hoops in order to ascertain exactly what you consider your good Catholic principles to be. You also expect me to prove to you as an essential condition that I am genuine, just who the sweet fcuk do you think you are? You have contributed absolutely nothing to this dialogue other than spout nonsense and revert to Latin in a futile attempt to make yourself appear intelligent, while hiding behind your screen of holy smoke and mirrors.

I have made no errors in what I claim to be the results of following good Catholic principles, they must have been the result of good Catholic principles as the Vatican has not condemned them.

I still await your comments on,
    1) The good Catholic principle that led to the Vatican legitimizing Hitlers rule in Germany.
    2) The good Catholic principle for the Vatican to make all RC bishops in Germany swear to protect Hitler's 3rd Reich.
    3) The good Catholic principle for the Vatican not to excommunicate any member of the Nazi party.
    4) The good Catholic principle of protecting child abusers and rapists from criminal charges while allowing them to continue their sick practice in other locations.
    5) The good Catholic principle that led to the attempted liquidation of Serbian Krajina
    6) The good Catholic principle that lead to the discovery of nearly 800 remains of children is a septic tank on property run by Catholic nuns.
    7) The good Catholic principle of 'Indulgences'

As you appear either unwilling or unable to comment on the above perhaps you would be willing to comment on the good Catholic principle that led to priests and nuns being involved in attempted genocide in Rwanda? 

Please feel free to ask if there is something that you feel I may be able clarify for you in what I have written above.
      October 2, 2017 9:58 PM MDT

It's actually the Mug that breaks the links- the dev set all links to switch to HTTPS when we added encryption, and he needs to go back and make it so it doesn't change the structure in our comments. I'm betting the links will work fine if you copy/paste them into your browser and just remove the "s."

Sorry for the trouble- it's on our fix list.
      October 2, 2017 10:23 PM MDT

Thanks for the info.
      October 2, 2017 10:25 PM MDT

Quote: "Please feel free to ask if there is something that you feel I may be able clarify for you in what I have written above."
    Do you realize that that's the nicest thing you ever said to me?

The first two links are gone but you really don't think that you often come off as angry, hateful, accusatory, condemning, critical or other synonyms of tirade?

https://www.google.com/search?q=tirade&rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&oq=tirade&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.1295j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Quote: "2) Would you have me condone a fcuking lunatic who kills random people?"
    Not at all, do you consider everyone that didn't take a jab at Christians, the Bible or Quran as condoning? I am not aware of any Christian terrorist group claiming responsibility for the shooting? "Perhaps he was a Christian terrorist, or perhaps he is just your common or garden fcuking lunatic"
    Also not sure what the shooter has to do with: "Could my reason be that I am more than a little urinated off with both bible and quran thumping lunatics."

EDIT: Are you sad that he doesn't have a religious affiliation? Perhaps just hate filled and angry like...
    https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GGRV_enUS751US751&q=stephen+paddock+religion&oq=stephen+paddock+religion&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i3k1.3240.3750.0.4133.4.4.0.0.0.0.94.360.4.4.0....0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.4.359....0.unGFa6U7i1E This post was edited by texasescimo at October 3, 2017 2:56 AM MDT
      October 3, 2017 1:43 AM MDT

'you often come off as angry, hateful, accusatory, condemning, critical,' you'r damned right I am angry when I see what religion is doing to the inhabitants of this planet, you'r damned right I hate what it is doing as should every sane person who lives in reality feel, I would point out that I am not the one raving on about sinners and accusing all and sundry who do not agree with your personal aspect of a sky fairy a sinner, again you are damned right I am both critical and condemning of religion and their superstitious mumbo jumbo that they claim to be holy' For thousands of years religion has had a free pass with anyone who criticizes it killed or ostracized (a practice that your cult is heavily into)  well I have news for you, those days are over and now the religious have the audacity to claim 'persecution' simply because people do not swallow their BS. Since man first invented the first god he has come up with well over a thousand of them and each one generation sub cults with approx. four thousand under the heading of Christianity alone and all this without a single shred of evidence to support any of them.

You are more than welcome to use a different definition of diatribe if you wish but that does nothing to alter the truth of what I am saying.

'do you consider everyone that didn't take a jab at Christians, the Bible or Quran as condoning' not in the least but you were quick enough to suggest that it could well be a Muslim terrorist and as I pointed out to you to get you off your hell bent religious accusation 'perhaps he is just your common or garden fcuking lunatic.

The shooter has absolutely nothing to do with "Could my reason be that I am more than a little urinated off with both bible and quran thumping lunatics." that as you very well know was a response to you asking why I felt the need to 'cuss'

I do not understand the reason for your second link leading to a search page but I am going to make an assumption that it is because a Muslim group is claiming (unfounded) responsibility, even if that turns out to be true and I have no reason to believe any damned thing a religious person says when it comes to their religion and its aims, it only emphasizes what I said above regarding the effect of religion on the world. If I am wrong in my assumption, I have no doubt that you will duly inform me.

Ps, Do not get to comfortable with 'that's the nicest thing you ever said to me' as it is not very likely to happen again.
      October 3, 2017 4:20 AM MDT

I didn't exactly say 'diatribe' but that's okay, it came up as a synonym. You seem to paint with an awful wide brush but I hope you find happiness.

EDIT: 
    Your last post seems to fit the bill for one of your angry tirades. Look up tirade.

Quote: "...you were quick enough to suggest that it could well be a Muslim terrorist and as I pointed out to you to get you off your hell bent religious accusation 'perhaps he is just your common or garden fcuking lunatic...."
    You are twisting what I said and leaving out the part of where you suggested he might be a Christian terrorist. HONESTLY, wouldn't your comment be more of a 'hell bent religious accusation'?

I made no religious accusation, in fact I gave a reason why it wasn't likely an Islamic terrorist. (Even though ISIS claimed it was one of theirs)
    Quote from me: "I think he's a bit old to be an Islamic terrorist. I wonder what his motive was? Just went off the deep end or lost money in Vegas or ...?"

Quote from you: "Perhaps he was a Christian terrorist, or perhaps he is just your common or garden fcuking lunatic."
    Quote from you: "Could my reason be that I am more than a little urinated off with both bible and quran thumping lunatics."

A shame that you used a thread about a tragedy as a platform for your unrelated hate of religious people.

https://answermug.com/forums/topic/40126/more-than-50-dead-so-far-200-injured-deadliest-mass-shooting-i/view/page/1 This post was edited by texasescimo at October 3, 2017 7:57 AM MDT
      October 3, 2017 6:39 AM MDT

1) You were the first person to mention any religion, while knowing nothing about the common or garden fcuking lunatic, so don't even attempt to project your hatred of another religious cult onto me, I find all of them equally repulsive.

2) I note you did not mention that he seemed a bit old for a terrorist, no you had to get in your unfounded religious dig into a thread about a tragedy by saying a Muslim terrorist.

3) I cannot help but wonder what your reaction would have been, had I said he could have been a Jewish, a Buddhist or an atheist terrorist?

4) I have no idea why you keep mentioning 'Could my reason be that I am more than a little urinated off with both bible and quran thumping lunatics' when it was clearly a reply to you asking me why I cussed by calling a fcuking lunatic a fcuking lunatic.

5) You are wrong when you say I hate religious people, it is their religion I cannot stomach and let's be honest about it, there is not much difference between them, the vast majority of religions believe that they and they alone, along with their followers are some kind of 'special' people. The result of this is that they attempt to completely brainwash their their children into believing in their particular cult, children who's brains should be encouraged to open up, are closed down through fear of eternal damnation. It is hardly surprising then that some of these children grow up to commit acts of terrorism in the name of their cult/religion/god, believers have been killing those who do not believe as they do from the get go of religion. It is rather hard to hate someone who has never had a chance to think any other way but it is very easy to get annoyed with people who are willfully ignorant, people who will totally disregard facts that do not fit their life view, people who want to have governments implement their (the cult's) life view by way of legislation on others who do not share their particular beliefs. People who want the children of others who do not share their beliefs brainwashed while at school into what ever cult has the most members. Religion does more to divide people than just about anything else I can think of, you only need to look at the recent 'troubles' in Northern Ireland to see what I mean and those were two different cults in the same religion.

You may well feel that my last paragraph to be a diatribe/tirade, if you do then I make no apologies for it as it needs to be said. This post was edited by myonemaster at October 4, 2017 3:52 PM MDT
      October 3, 2017 4:02 PM MDT

Get real. Did a Jewish terrorist group or a Buddhist terrorist group or an atheist group claim responsibility?
    How many Jewish, Buddhist or atheist terror attacks have you seen in the news the last week or so? I haven't seen any but that doesn't mean that there were not any or that perhaps some other group claimed responsibility as well, but I am not aware of that happening. 
      October 3, 2017 4:27 PM MDT

You ask me to 'get real' yet I did not mention any Jewish, Buddhist or atheist terror attackers, I simply wondered what your response would have been if I had. But now that we are on the subject, terror can be inflicted in many ways, you need only ask the Palestinians what they feel while under bombardment from the Jews or the Muslims fleeing in terror from the onslaught from Buddhists in Burma, then only to find that when the get to a place of safety like Sri Lanka they then come under attack
    from Buddhists there. Aint you just got to love that good ol religion?

Ps. I will give you credit for getting one out of three correct, there have been no atheists attacks.
      October 3, 2017 5:00 PM MDT

Didn't realize those were in the news the last week. 
    I am aware of Jews and Muslims killing each other and Buddhists and Muslims killing each other. Haven't heard of terrorist attacks by them the last week or so though. When bombs, attacks, murders and such go off in Israel or Palestine, it might be reasonable to think it is possibly Muslims or Jews are behind it. When the same happens in Burma, it might be reasonable to think it is possibly Buddhists or Muslims behind it. When it happens in much of the rest of the world, all to often some Islamic terrorist organization claims responsibility for it.
    When planes were flown in to twin towers were you shocked when you found out it wasn't Hare Krishnas behind it?
      October 3, 2017 5:22 PM MDT

I do apologize, silly me, I did not realize that it needed to have happened within the last week or so to count as an act of terror. However this one only just fits in within your imposed time frame,
     https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/rohingya-muslims-refugees-buddhists-monks-storm-un-shelter-burma-sri-lanka-united-nations-a7972236.html

While you are correct in that the the conflicts I mentioned could be reasonably associated with a particular group(s) given their location, what you are totally ignoring is the elephant in the room, that being, the only thing they have in common is that they are all religious conflicts and my point about the harm caused by religion.
      October 3, 2017 6:07 PM MDT

No, within the context of our recent threads, I wasn't defining acts of terror as you likely know. I was just trying to understand why you would suggest Jews, Buddhist or atheist when as far as I know, only an Islamic terrorist group has claimed responsibility and I was only aware of Islamic terror attacks recently such as in Canada and France the past week or so.

That's horrible. I haven't seen anything on the news about that. 

Another thing that they all have in common is that they all reject Christian principles as recorded in the Christian Greek Scriptures:
    (Matthew 26:52) Then Jesus said to him: “Return your sword to its place, for all those who take up the sword will perish by the sword.
    (2 Corinthians 10:3, 4) For though we walk in the flesh, we do not wage warfare according to what we are in the flesh. 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not fleshly, but powerful by God for overturning strongly entrenched things.
    (Romans 12:17-21) Return evil for evil to no one. Take into consideration what is fine from the viewpoint of all men. 18 If possible, as far as it depends on you, be peaceable with all men. 19 Do not avenge yourselves, beloved, but yield place to the wrath; for it is written: “‘Vengeance is mine; I will repay,’ says Jehovah.” 20 But “if your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him something to drink; for by doing this you will heap fiery coals on his head.” 21 Do not let yourself be conquered by the evil, but keep conquering the evil with the good.
      October 3, 2017 9:10 PM MDT

Here we go again, you have reverted to your scriptures. You have not one shred of evidence to support their validity so quoting from them means nothing, zero, zilch.
    However a quick visit to https://www.truthbeknown.com/victims.htm will show you clearly that Christians do not follow Christian principles (as quoted by you) either.
    So the pot calling the kettle black is very hypocritical of you, another well known religious trait.
      October 3, 2017 10:01 PM MDT

Do you ever stay within the context of what is being said? In my comment, I wasn't trying to prove rather or not the scriptures were valid, only that those were scriptures that Christians are supposed to hold to.
    Neither did I say that all of those called 'Christians' hold to those scriptures (I can give you a ton of links showing a history of bloodshed of those claiming to follow the Prince of Peace.) or any other scriptures. For example, just because some 'Christians' forbid marriage for their priest doesn't mean they are following the scriptures.

(Matthew 7:21-23) “Not everyone saying to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter into the Kingdom of the heavens, but only the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. 22 Many will say to me in that day: ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them: ‘I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness!’
    (2 Peter 2:1-3) However, there also came to be false prophets among the people, as there will also be false teachers among you. These will quietly bring in destructive sects, and they will even disown the owner who bought them, bringing speedy destruction upon themselves. 2 Furthermore, many will follow their brazen conduct, and because of them the way of the truth will be spoken of abusively. 3 Also, they will greedily exploit you with counterfeit words. But their judgment, decided long ago, is not moving slowly, and their destruction is not sleeping.
    (Jude 4) My reason is that certain men have slipped in among you who were long ago appointed to this judgment by the Scriptures; they are ungodly men who turn the undeserved kindness of our God into an excuse for brazen conduct and who prove false to our only owner and Lord, Jesus Christ.

(1 Timothy 4:1-3) However, the inspired word clearly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to misleading inspired statements and teachings of demons, 2 by means of the hypocrisy of men who speak lies, whose conscience is seared as with a branding iron. 3 They forbid marriage and command people to abstain from foods that God created to be partaken of with thanksgiving by those who have faith and accurately know the truth.

EDIT: Try to take my comments at face value instead of continuing to pretend I am saying something that I am not. If you do not know what I am talking about, go back and read your replies to my comments. If you still don't get it, I am afraid that your reveling in your anger and hate has blinded you and nothing I can say will likely help. (Mt 7:6 comes to mind) This post was edited by texasescimo at October 4, 2017 5:50 AM MDT
      October 4, 2017 5:46 AM MDT

Wrong again, 'only that those were scriptures that Christians are supposed to hold to' what you actually mean is, those that you have cherry picked out of your ancient book of myths and fairy tales (sorry I forgot, yours isn't ancient, your cult did not like the existing one so wrote your own) while forgetting inconvenient ones like Matthew 5 '17Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them. 18 for I tell you truly, until heaven and earth pass away, not a single jot, not a stroke of a pen, will disappear from the law until everything is accomplished.
    Which sadly from your point of view takes us right back to the violence of the even more ancient book of myths and fairy tales commonly known as the Old Testament.
    Or the little gem of Luke 'Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    So much for 'for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.'
    You see two can play at the cherry picking game but as I do not for one moment believe in you book of myths and fairy tales I will not be playing that game.

It is most odd that you think I pretend you are saying something that you are not saying, when your comments are here for all to see in their entirety.

I suppose I should at least give you credit for explaining what you think are Christian principles, unlike someone else I know.
      October 4, 2017 11:35 AM MDT

I know you have a lot of hate but try to be honest. Please quote where I defined what defined an act of terror?

Matthew 5:17-18 only says "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law of the Prophets: I have not come to abolish them" and " I tell you truly, until heaven and earth pass away, not a single jot, not a stroke of a pen, will disappear from the law"?

What does the context tell you?
    Matthew 5 '17Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them, but to fulfill them. 18 for I tell you truly, until heaven and earth pass away, not a single jot, not a stroke of a pen, will disappear from the law until everything is accomplished.

(John 19:30) When he had received the sour wine, Jesus said: “It has been accomplished!” and bowing his head, he gave up his spirit.
    (Romans 10:4) For Christ is the end of the Law, so that everyone exercising faith may have righteousness.
    (Ephesians 2:15) By means of his flesh he abolished the enmity, the Law of commandments consisting in decrees, in order to make the two groups in union with himself into one new man and to make peace,
    (Colossians 2:13, 14) Furthermore, though you were dead in your trespasses and in the uncircumcised state of your flesh, God made you alive together with him. He kindly forgave us all our trespasses 14 and erased the handwritten document that consisted of decrees and was in opposition to us. He has taken it out of the way by nailing it to the torture stake.

Quote: [Or the little gem of Luke 'Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
    So much for 'for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.']

Again, consider the context and what the Christian Bible writers said as a whole rather than you cherry picking. Was two swords enough to wage a war? Did Jesus condone the use of a sword even to defend his own life? 
    Jesus used an occasion with a sword to teach a lesson. 
    (Luke 22:36-38) Then he said to them: “But now let the one that has a purse take it up, likewise also a food pouch; and let the one having no sword sell his outer garment and buy one. 37 For I tell YOU that this which is written must be accomplished in me, namely, ‘And he was reckoned with lawless ones.’ For that which concerns me is having an accomplishment.” 38 Then they said: “Lord, look! here are two swords.” He said to them: “It is enough.”
    (Luke 22:49-51) When those about him saw what was going to happen, they said: “Lord, shall we strike with the sword?” 50 A certain one of them even did strike the slave of the high priest and took off his right ear. 51 But in reply Jesus said: “LET it go as far as this.” And he touched the ear and healed him.
    (Matthew 26:51-52) But, look! one of those with Jesus reached out his hand and drew his sword and struck the slave of the high priest and took off his ear. 52 Then Jesus said to him: “Return your sword to its place, for all those who take the sword will perish by the sword.
      October 4, 2017 1:56 PM MDT

I find it hard to understand why you keep building these straw men arguments.
    I did not say that you defined ' what defined an act of terror. I did say 'I did not realize that it needed to have happened within the last week or so to count as an act of terror' in reply to your 'How many Jewish, Buddhist or atheist terror attacks have you seen in the news the last week or so' and your 'Didn't realize those were in the news the last week' The ball is back in your court, you show me where you claim that I did say you defined what an act of terror (is) (I added the is on the assumption that you missed it out).

You keep spouting this biblical drivel as though it were some kind of authority, get this simple fact into your head, the bible is nothing more than a claim, it is not evidence for anything yet alone proof of anything, it is a book full of errors written by man, nothing more, nothing less.

October 4, 2017 2:34 PM MDT