Active Now

Shuhak
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » Some say that what doesn't kill you strenghtens you. Well it can also weaken you, cripple you, hobble you. Has it?

Some say that what doesn't kill you strenghtens you. Well it can also weaken you, cripple you, hobble you. Has it?

Posted - October 4, 2017

Responses

yes, ive had stuff do that
      October 4, 2017 3:59 PM MDT

• That quote is attributed to the German philosopher, Friedrich Nietzsche. Actually, he said it much more eloquently: “That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.” It turns out that he was right.

Studies have shown that some trauma survivors report positive changes and enhanced personal development, called post traumatic growth (PTG). PTG refers to any beneficial change resulting from a major life crisis or traumatic event, but people most commonly experience a positive shift by having a renewed appreciation for life; adopting a new world view with new possibilities for themselves; feeling more personal strength; feeling more satisfied spiritually, and/or their relationships improve.

Victor Frankl, a neurologist, psychiatrist, holocaust survivor and author of Man’s Search for Meaning, wrote:

The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails, the way in which he takes up his cross, gives him ample opportunity – even under the most difficult circumstances to add a deeper meaning to his life.

While some pain and suffering in life are unavoidable and part of the human experience, much is self induced by our thoughts and can be radically reduced by mindfulness practices and mental health tools. Learning to alter my thoughts has drastically improved my life. To be able to work with the same types of challenges that used to cause me such panic, pain, and suffering has provided me a consistent level of calm, joy, optimism and trust in myself and the universe.

It’s not that I don’t have any troubles anymore – far from it, but they don’t traumatize me, hijack my life and steal my peace of mind like they used to. After a few minutes, sometimes hours — OK, maybe even days of the “I can’t believe this!” feeling, I take a deep breath, stop struggling, and, eventually, accept what’s before me.

Acceptance of the reality that’s present is an essential first step to ending suffering.

October 4, 2017 4:25 PM MDT

I was going to say something a bit along these lines.  I just read the meme and not your words.  I am going to write and come back and read yours. 

This is great.

Life is a game... play it!  Satya Sai Baba

But my brain just soared to another dimension.  This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at October 4, 2017 4:54 PM MDT
      October 4, 2017 4:53 PM MDT

Who are you talking about?  I mean what are you referring to when you say YOU?   What you?  The you in the body with a thinking brain?  That, THANK GOD, is not really you.   It is physical.  It changes decade to decade.  Day to day even.  And then it is useless and dead.  But that is not you.

Nothing can harm you.   The body will wilt and die and YOU go on.  Maybe come back here.  Maybe not.  But you are awareness.

That is what I KNOW.  I hope you are soon to become aware of this great gift.

October 4, 2017 4:56 PM MDT