Active Now

Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » What do you think of Jews for Jesus?

What do you think of Jews for Jesus?

Posted - October 5, 2017

Responses

Religious freedom and such. Are you converting?
      October 5, 2017 11:09 AM MDT

Oh hell to the no.

To each his own if he keeps it mostly his own and not try to make others his own. 

October 5, 2017 11:12 AM MDT

Your facts on your other post were quite interesting.
      October 5, 2017 11:34 AM MDT

I had lunch with one of them Jews for Jesus in the 80's.  I always talk to those who want to tell me all about it, religion-wise.  I had met her outside of a diner and we sat down and had lunch and I asked her to tell me what the heck this all meant.

She said the same thing the interesting thing I posted on the other site said.  I was not interested at all in pursuing it, but it seemed like an "interesting" take on everything if you were exploring.  I was way past that idea.  Way past that stuff.  I don't care.
      October 5, 2017 11:38 AM MDT

I don’t, to be frank.

To each his own. Jesus was a Jew. This post was edited by Don Barzini at October 8, 2017 2:40 PM MDT
      October 5, 2017 11:41 AM MDT

This was  a spin-off from another question.

Honest, I do not care either.  He sure was not a Catholic. 
      October 5, 2017 11:42 AM MDT

I don't think about the Jewish people at all much less Jesus himself.
      October 5, 2017 11:44 AM MDT

Well that is the best way to keep Him OUT.

HE doesn't come unless invited. 
      October 5, 2017 11:49 AM MDT

For some reason, that got me laughing:

So he's like "Bloody Mary" or one of those other urban legends?
    You say his name 3 times in front of a mirror, and he appears.
    Could you imagine?

LOL

October 6, 2017 1:01 PM MDT

They did a presentation at our Church. All very civilised.
      October 5, 2017 11:48 AM MDT

I think of them in the same way I think of all Christians, Jews, Muslims,....  I'm happy for people who have found something that appears to give their life a purpose.  Personally, I have no use for any organized religion.

This post was edited by Harry at October 8, 2017 2:40 PM MDT
      October 6, 2017 6:32 AM MDT

They are simply Jewish people who also believe in Jesus as the Messiah. 
    We have a church in my town but they call themselves Messianic Jews.
    The Rabbi is on the radio every morning. It is interesting.  The believe in the New Testament and also still follow the Old Testament.  They have church Friday night and Saturday morning. We have thought about attending some.
      October 6, 2017 7:12 AM MDT

• To be frank, I've never really thought about it much but if you or anyone else is interested here is a website that explains in part who they are.

https://www.gotquestions.org/Jews-for-Jesus.html
      October 6, 2017 12:41 PM MDT

Q "What do you think of Jews for Jesus?"

1. Modern day Jews for Jesus are part of a wider group calling themselves Messianic Jews, meaning Jews who have accepted Jesus as the foretold Messiah. However, the core beliefs of modern day Messianic Jews are essentially the same as those of mainstream Christianity. So they are, in essence, Christians with a Jewish cladding intended to make them appealing to Jews. They are nothing like the original Jews for Jesus, or Messianic Jews who were, ironically wiped out as heretics, together with all other religions and "heresies" when, centuries after Jesus, the Romans gave birth to, adopted and enforced Roman Catholicism as the only state approved religion in its empire.

2. Jesus was a Jew ethnically and religiously. He was circumcised, preached in synagogues, from the Jewish scriptures, was called Rabbi, observed the Mosaic law and warned all those who broke even the least of the laws that they would be considered least in the kingdom of heaven. He preached only to the Jews and although the majority of them turned against him and rejected him, he had thousands of Jewish followers. They were all obviously - Jews for Jesus. These beliefs of these original Jews for Jesus were almost identical to those of the other Jews, believing in the single God of Noah, Abraham and Moses [not a triune God] and in the laws of Moses and in the foretold Messiah, as a saviour who was going to save them [not from the wrath of God for the sin of Adam but] from having to live under the laws of the Romans, enabling God's kingdom to come and God's will [laws] to prevail [be done ] on earth as they are in heaven. The difference was that these thousands of Jews [but still a small minority] accepted Jesus as the foretold Messiah. They were thus Messianic Jews, the original Jews for Jesus.

October 8, 2017 2:25 PM MDT

Isnt that contradictory?
      October 8, 2017 2:39 PM MDT

yes, at first sight, but see my answer [for those who haven't]
      October 8, 2017 4:07 PM MDT