Discussion » Questions » Business » Do you own your home or does your home own you?

Do you own your home or does your home own you?

#Home

Posted - June 25, 2016

Responses

The only home I owned was a van I lived in for about 2 years -very little cost for maintenance. I paid $200 for it.
      June 25, 2016 6:51 PM MDT

• My cat, PK, owns everything.

June 25, 2016 8:10 PM MDT

That is a good question to ask, whether about houses or about other hugely expensive material things that usually must be financed. Many homeowners are so deep in mortgage debt that the bank technically owns the house. Miss a couple payments and you will be guaranteed to hear from who it really belongs to. The enormity of the monthly payment takes precedence over all other things every month. A person in such a situation is owned by the house and its lienholders. Even someone who owns the house free and clear still has the formidable expense of upkeep and taxes. Sometimes you may notice that elders, long past their earning years, have trouble affording those costs and their houses are falling down around them.

There are similar considerations for a car. Young people in particular often were saddled with a financing obligation that ate up half a month's net earnings, effectively being owned by the car. In this Obama economy where decent paying jobs are scarce, they often forego car ownership and opt for various newer alternatives - all of which may fulfill some transportation needs but cannot guarantee being able to get out and go whenever you want to..

June 25, 2016 8:25 PM MDT

• I like your answer, but I think this has been the case for a long time before Obama and will be the case forever no matter who is elected. 

June 26, 2016 7:34 AM MDT

• Did you live down by the river?

June 26, 2016 7:34 AM MDT

• Yes, they do rule the household.

June 26, 2016 7:35 AM MDT

No just on a quiet street where there was hardly any traffic. There were about a dozen of us living in our vehicles there.
      June 26, 2016 7:45 AM MDT

I own a home

June 26, 2016 12:52 PM MDT

You have NO idea.  If I drew this for you as a diagram it would look like a picture of a very small house and huge chains around my neck attaching me to said house on one side and a bunch of aholes controlling the weight of each chain with my sainted brother stepping on my neck in the process.  It is this or rent.  I am never going to rent again as GOD IS MY WITNESS.  I would rather be homeless and hole up in the California Redwoods. 

I will cut the soles off my shoes and learn to play the flute and read Henry David Thoreau each and every day.  I could be happy.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
      June 26, 2016 12:55 PM MDT

it owns me

June 26, 2016 8:43 PM MDT