Active Now

Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Home and Garden » anyone ever have issues with bedbugs and how did you deal with them?

anyone ever have issues with bedbugs and how did you deal with them?

I've been dealing with them for a while and so have some of my neighbors, at first i tried to deal with it on my own, i know , it was dumb. anyways, i put out pest repellers, I've sprayed, ive set traps, i have a mattress cover, right now im using alcohol rub, nothing has worked, anyways, I decided this problem was too big for me and got management involved, now the pest control guy is going to pay me a visit next wk, dont know if theyre just going to spray or do a heat treatment, I get the feeling they might do the heat treatment, I just got to the point where i thought it might be better to get outside help, i shouldnt have waited, just wondered if anyone has ever gone thru that and how did you deal with it.

Posted - October 11, 2017

Responses

Washed all my clothing and bedding or anything not needing wash can be run through the dryer for about 20 minutes to kill 'em. Gave my mattresses a slight soak with boiling water then left them sufficiently exposed to dry for a few hours. That kills the eggs as the spraying will not. Pour boiling water around the edges of the mattress should allow you a night peaceful sleep any till the exterminator come.
      October 11, 2017 5:30 PM MDT

Any hardware store carries D.E. the only thing I have heard suggested for bed bugs. D.E. is like little buzz saws. They grind bugs to pieces, but they are harmless to pets and people. You get a funny looking puffer and blow the powder into bedding. 

For roaches you get boric acid, which is sold in hardware stores as Roach Pruf, or more likely Matador De Cucarachas. Take a bit of powder on the tip of a spoon and blow it in the general direction of any place you have seen a roach, cracks in baseboards, and under sinks. Not in shelves or open areas. One treatment is usually enough. Boric acid sticks to the waxy shell of a roach and makes a hole and the bug dehydrates. They carry it back to the nest and pass it around, so one treatment wipes out all the roaches.
      October 12, 2017 2:21 AM MDT

I live in a condo building and we had an infestation a few years ago. I was the association president at the time, so I had to work with management to deal with it. I also lived in the next apartment which reported the bedbugs.

First of all, when the person with the bedbugs took steps on his own to deal with them, it drove the bedbugs into several other apartments creating a bigger problem. You might be able to deal with bedbugs on your own in a single family home, but it is different when the bedbugs can just move next door. If they leave your apartment, they will come back later.  Make sure that management inspects all apartments that adjoin yours (above, below and to the sides) or you will get them again.

The pest control firm used chemicals. They were very thorough and lifted up the carpet edges to get next to the walls. Some exterminators will tell you that you have to wash everything in your closet, but these guys said that the bugs stay where there is food (humans) and we didn't have to go through all that. They came back and inspected all the apartments they had treated until all the bugs were gone and there were no more eggs to hatch.

We had another infestation recently. I am no longer on the board and wasn't involved. However, they used a different pest control firm who told them that chemicals were no longer effective and they used a heat treatment. I'm not sure that did any better because they had to come back several times. They did bring in bedbug-sniffing dogs to inspect every unit in the building to make sure that there were none left.

I think the important thing to remember in the future (because it will happen again to someone in your building if not you), is to act right away because the longer you wait the bigger the infestation becomes and the harder to deal with.

Anyone can get bedbugs, but some people are ashamed and reluctant to report it which makes it a problem in an apartment building. 

I'm glad your management is finally dealing with it, Pearl. I hope you are back to being bug-free soon.
      October 12, 2017 5:15 AM MDT