Active Now

Danilo_G
CosmicWunderkind
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Politics » Is the Brexit vote really just about the immigration issue?

Is the Brexit vote really just about the immigration issue?

Posted - June 25, 2016

Responses

I saw a little sign someone had made lying in the street, I think it was a flag they had put on their car which had fallen off, which said "Leave the EU. No more Polish Vermin." So if that is anything to go by, I would say, yes.
      June 25, 2016 8:40 PM MDT

• No, but that was certainly a driving force. Xenophobia is strong in many European countries, and Britain is no exception. Delusions of "going back to the glory days of the Empire" also fueled the leave campaign. 

June 25, 2016 9:11 PM MDT

It is about a huge middle finger to the globe.  Typical Brits.

June 25, 2016 9:13 PM MDT
  • Bez

Partly, but not only. There are other issues, some of them going back further than the immigration issue.

June 25, 2016 9:14 PM MDT

They are the Bloody English.   They are arrogant and they need to be taken down a peg and now they will be taken way down and drag the rest of us with them. Are they Republican?

June 25, 2016 9:14 PM MDT
  • Bez

That's the kind of wrong-headed attitude that is giving us British an undeserved bad reputation.

June 25, 2016 9:15 PM MDT
  • Bez

Meaning?

June 25, 2016 9:23 PM MDT

• It's much more complex than that.

June 26, 2016 5:11 AM MDT

It is about standing up for individual rights and not some corrupt bureaucratic entity which has accumulated over 13 trillion dollars in debt, debt which is used to enslave people. It is the British people taking back their country and their free will to take responsibility for their economy and way of life. It is about self-preservation.
      June 26, 2016 6:17 AM MDT

• That's not nice.

June 26, 2016 11:29 AM MDT

I don't think so.

I think it had to do more about the legitimate anxiety many people feel about the current political/economic order of the world, and the belief that many governing institutions are not looking out for the Average Joe/Jane/Vladislav/Dagmar/Ahmed in favor of the very rich and trans-national corporations.

Of course, part of the Neoliberal World Order is that immigration should be relatively free so that cheap labor from poor countries can be imported into rich countries in order to depress wages and drive up profits for the rich/corporate. Naturally, many people resent that immigration both on economic and cultural grounds.

In the main, I don't think Britain's vote to leave the EU will change that. The Powers That Be based in London have been just about as brutal to the average person as their counterparts in Washington, New York City, Moscow, Berlin, Brussels, Beijing, etc. But I understand the sentiments of the "Leave" contigent.

June 26, 2016 12:05 PM MDT

I doubt it.

June 26, 2016 12:47 PM MDT

The Brexit campaign focused almost wholly on the immigration issue. They realised they could not win the economic argument.
      June 26, 2016 2:21 PM MDT

Spot on ,  It boiled down to  a single issue.. The question posed might as well have been ; " Have you had enough of immigration ? "  Because that's the sole reason people voted like they did..

June 26, 2016 2:33 PM MDT