Discussion » Questions » Jobs » Don't you feel sorry for corporate people?

Don't you feel sorry for corporate people?

They work way harder than the blue collar workers below them, just like they outworked them in school, they're always forced to dress in uncomfortable suits in the workplace, and they're not allowed to grow full beards (only mustaches and corporate-approved goatees).

Posted - October 15, 2017

Responses

I shed tears for them every day.

Hey Righty, I like your new Avi.  Is that a pic of you?
      October 15, 2017 7:49 PM MDT

HEHEHEHE!!! :D

Nah, it's a picture of "Chibs" (Tommy Flanaghan) from the TV show; Sons of Anarchy. 
      October 15, 2017 9:58 PM MDT

LOL!  Heehee I know.  A girl can dream can't she? ;-)
      October 16, 2017 4:20 AM MDT

I look like Alan from the Hangover movies. 

October 16, 2017 3:09 PM MDT

Even better! ;-)
      October 16, 2017 6:39 PM MDT

What's supposed to be so "uncomfortable" about wearing a suit?  I've heard some guys say they find suits uncomfortable, and I don't but it; in my opinion, it sounds like a slacker cop-out. 
    (By the way, even though I do not wear a suit every day, I do wear them and I have worn them.)

~
      October 15, 2017 11:23 PM MDT

• I think most guys have that opinion about suits either until or if ever they actually get a decent quality and tailored suit.  The cheap one and ones that aren't tailor fitted can be kinda uncomfortable.
      October 15, 2017 11:27 PM MDT

Ok, very good point. I hadn't thought of that angle before, thanks for bringing it up. 
    ~
      October 15, 2017 11:53 PM MDT

The only thing that beats a suit is a kilt outfit.

October 16, 2017 5:12 PM MDT

mmm Yummy Randy.
      October 16, 2017 4:22 AM MDT

Sorry, ladies, but you are being misled. This is the real Randy D.

October 16, 2017 6:52 AM MDT

You wish, Jane S!  Now I'm beginning to understand all the restraining orders you have taken out against me: you prefer the portly types over the fit types. Sorry to disappoint, Dearie. 

~

October 16, 2017 7:09 AM MDT

-swoon- ;)
      October 16, 2017 4:28 AM MDT

Handsome man in the photo. I bet he's a boss. 
      October 16, 2017 3:10 PM MDT

Yes, so much so it keeps me up at night. :I
      October 16, 2017 4:28 AM MDT

Ladies, please form an orderly line and patiently wait your turns . . .

October 16, 2017 6:21 AM MDT

I didn't mind the corporate life while I was part of it. But now that I have escaped, I mean retired, I wonder how I put up with it so long. However I disagree that we worked harder than the blue-collar workers. For me the main attraction was that it was inside work with no heavy lifting.
      October 16, 2017 6:47 AM MDT

Well many of us DO work hard, and harder if we want to be "going places" in our firm. But as far as the dress code you are out of date. Beards have been accepted for a number of years - since around 2007 - and there are even quite shaggy employees in dress and appearance in creative branches.  And pants for us gals which used to be relegated just to casual Fridays are now accepted every day except for important meetings and receptions. This change has come just since 2009.
      October 16, 2017 7:01 AM MDT

Yeah, It seems most corporate ladies wear pants nowadays. But all of the beards I do see they are more like the short, well-kept, designer-like, corporate-approved, stubble-beards. You don't see any long, shaggy, unkempt, bushy, viking, lumberjack, bushy, redneck-like, large beards. You guys deserve a raise for being so controlled. 
      October 16, 2017 3:16 PM MDT

"Unkempt", "Viking" (?), "lumberjack", "redneck-like" ?  Are those all positive qualities for you?  Guess I have never thought of them as such. 

I would say mostly just a matter of doing our job. Politics go on in any workplace but if you want to play at that you sort of have to win at it.  Which is why I never even tried. The higher-ups developed confidence in me which is why I have been here for 28 years now!  The company has done a lot for me and I am grateful.  Don't feel at all "controlled" because while I am here my time and focus are theirs and I am careful not introduce my own notions unless I think they will be listened to seriously or make any waves.  So I just play it very clean and straight.  When I get home then it becomes about me and mine.  Of course to really "get ahead" you need to do much more than that and really take more initiative and risk more failure.  But I have never been a creative person and I do best seeing to the needs of others.  
      October 17, 2017 5:13 AM MDT

Yeah, I like the big beards. The bigger the better. I'm trying to go "big" myself, my current beard is 9 weeks in (from clean-shaved), I'm trying to grow it out to New Year if I can. Unless I get "told" to shave it off before then. ;p
      October 18, 2017 7:28 PM MDT

When I was growing up our redneck cousins were cleanly shaved and only hippies and intellectuals had beards.  Note how things have changed. 
      October 19, 2017 8:18 AM MDT

I was one once. 

Escaped with generous early retirement package just in time to look after mum in her last year along with my wife. 

They let me back again for a short while as a contractor. 

October 16, 2017 5:10 PM MDT