Discussion » Questions » Education » Grammar

Grammar

Should Answemug,consider including a grammar check Prompt as we'll as the spell check,?.

Posted - October 25, 2017

Responses

no way
    Then what would Randy D do?
      October 25, 2017 9:19 AM MDT

Yes, a grammar check would be helpful.

October 25, 2017 9:22 AM MDT

October 25, 2017 9:48 AM MDT

• Is that a postcard from Korea?
      October 25, 2017 10:21 AM MDT

LOL
      October 25, 2017 10:34 AM MDT

no, this aint school, we're just here to ask and answer questions
      October 25, 2017 9:56 AM MDT

• my grammars terrible didnt do to bad in englisj , on skool but; would prorbs.help me out?: lol, twas jus a light hearted fun comment aimed to all the correctors out there :) This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at November 5, 2017 6:08 AM MST
      October 25, 2017 10:28 AM MDT

No.

There are enough variations in grammar "styles" to make it untenable. 
      October 25, 2017 12:44 PM MDT

You can use a third-party plugin for your browser. I have Grammarly. However, that's not a good one for this site as a Chrome extension because it makes the cursor hop around and it eats what you've typed. aMug isn't the only site it does that on, so it's a Grammarly issue, but it might work on other browsers or you may be able to find another extension/ plugin that does the same, but without the glitches. 

I wouldn't want to install any kind of grammar or spell checker here because we have people from lots of different English-speaking countries, and the grammar and spelling rules are different in each. 
      October 25, 2017 2:41 PM MDT

All browsers that I have used can be set up to check spelling as you type.  Just turn it on or off.  I have also seen grammar options in browser settings too.  I turn them off because they tend to know less than I do about English grammar.
      October 25, 2017 5:51 PM MDT

• Good point
      October 26, 2017 1:43 AM MDT

Of course not.  People can bear the responsibility for what they write and how they write it.  Don't be lazy.  I suggest using our brains instead of spellcheck.   

Answermug doesn't have spellcheck, but you can set up your browser to check  your spelling as you type.
      October 25, 2017 5:46 PM MDT

No. Just. No.
      October 25, 2017 7:28 PM MDT

• i see nothing wrong with any of that
      October 25, 2017 7:30 PM MDT

Before she passed away (more than two decades ago), my family members and I took turns stopping by my maternal grandmother's house to check up on her several times throughout the week, and we also kept in touch with her daily by phone. She never felt long periods of loneliness because some family member was always visiting with her. There were eleven grandchildren and about six great-grandchildren at that point. Her health was failing in her later years, and we didn't want her to suffer any mishap without anyone knowing how she was doing. The check-ups were not scheduled or even written down as a chore, task or errand, they were spontaneous outpourings of love for our matriarch. I have never known my paternal grandmother.

For those of you whose grandmothers are still alive, I can see the necessity of some type of system for checking on them. In today's everything-can-be-done-on-the-internet age, I'm sure there's an app for it. In my case, however, I do not need it. Thank you all.

~
      November 5, 2017 6:54 AM MST

My mother's mother died before she was 3 yo and until she was 12 she thought her sister was her mother. Mom didn't like her much and I only met her once when I was 3. My father's father got religion and moved to a farm in Tohellandgone, Utah, and his wife left him at that time. So I never had grandparents, and my parents didn't know how to act like parents.

If you had grandparents, you were among the lucky few.
      November 5, 2017 11:07 AM MST

Not if it was written by Mickeysoft!
      November 10, 2017 11:43 AM MST