Active Now

Randy D
Discussion » Questions » Outside the Mug » If I swallow raw popcorn kernels how long will I have to stand in front of a leaking microwave before they start to pop?

If I swallow raw popcorn kernels how long will I have to stand in front of a leaking microwave before they start to pop?

Posted - October 25, 2017

Responses

• ha you clearly don't know how popcorn works, you swallow them and grow a corn tree 
      October 25, 2017 1:35 PM MDT

HEY...you are stealing all my stupid questions and answers. I'm going to tell JA.And don't call me Shirley.
      October 25, 2017 1:51 PM MDT

• i'm just taking what is rightfully mine 
      October 25, 2017 1:53 PM MDT

I don't know!  Let's do a test.  Swallow some and stand in front of a leaking microwave.
    While you do that, I hope you don't mind if I pull up a chair while I wait and watch you.

October 25, 2017 1:42 PM MDT

That's not you! (I hope )
      October 25, 2017 1:44 PM MDT

LOL!  NO!  You know I'm a woman.  So, just picture him with long curly hair and a goatee. ;-)
      October 25, 2017 1:48 PM MDT

That would be cuter.

$17.23 Canadian. And jazz kabbage is full of crap...you get pregnant.
      October 25, 2017 1:48 PM MDT

• fight me 
      October 25, 2017 1:50 PM MDT

Wait til I get my fist out of my mouth.

• You would maser (look it up)yourself before any popcorn results most vital organs fried. Its an assassination technique pointed through the wall of an adjoining wall of the victims bed all night
      October 25, 2017 3:00 PM MDT

Nah, no focused microwave beam and not much power, relatively speaking. I shouldn't be surprised that if a leak that large did occur (like removing the  door and jumpering the interlocks) that the VSWR would be so high that the magnetron would be destroyed in just a few short minutes.

Never heard of a maser being used as an assassination tool either. That would take a LOT of power (the plug by your nightstand ain't going to be able to deliver that kind of power). There was a Ukrainian physicist a few years back that stuck his head into a high-energy particle accelerator to try to find a problem. Apparently he  found it and the accelerator fired, with his head still in the way. A nice hole burned through his old noggin. He survived though (thank goodness, he's a pretty sharp scientist to this day).  This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at October 25, 2017 11:42 PM MDT
      October 25, 2017 3:56 PM MDT

• Masers have been tested and kill people through a wall the magnetron will do it ,Tesla transmitted power via this means if you get in the way you're toast
      October 25, 2017 4:29 PM MDT

A maser is a totally different device than a magnetron as used in a residential or commercial microwave oven used for cooking food. They typically operate at MUCH higher power levels.

Where was the "through the wall" test done that actually killed someone? (I wonder how they managed to get a "volunteer" subject, and then get that past the ethics board)? And how much power was in the microwave beam, or at least the input power to the maser ? (I'd be interested to read about it if you can provide a reference.)

I'm a BIG Tesla fan but so far as I know he never successfully demonstrated the transmission of electrical power over any distance, particularly with the use of a microwave transmission path generated by a maser. In fact, we lost Mr's Tesla in 1943. The first maser wasn't demonstrated until 1953 at Columbia University in NYC.
      October 25, 2017 5:26 PM MDT

• I too am a big fan and he was well ahead of the rest of the world and the secrets he took to his grave, I was talking about assignation through the hotel wall so no volunteer, much like caesium 137 planted in a chair or a desk phone slowly but surely.
      October 25, 2017 11:56 PM MDT

That 2.45 gHz energy only penetrates human muscle tissue by a couple of centimeters even if enough energy does manage to reach you. (Let's say that the door had been removed and the interlocks jumpered out and you're standing directly in from of the door opening). So no, it's never going to pop or if it does you've been long dead. This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at October 25, 2017 4:32 PM MDT
      October 25, 2017 3:31 PM MDT

• a couple of centimeters is your liver or brain thyroid  lymph glands you tube have lots of maser demos
      October 25, 2017 4:42 PM MDT

You seem horribly confused about this subject. Let me help you . . .

First, the question was in regard to the possibility of microwave energy popping popcorn inside ones stomach after swallowing the un-popped kernels with no mention of possible damage to the body during that process. 

With that 2-cm maximum penetration distance (actually about 17-mm) the stomach would be beyond the effective depth of penetration of the microwave energy. Coupling that with the fact that the mass of the body would be constantly disbursing any heating of those popcorn kernels makes the prospect of those kernels popping non-existent.

By mentioning organs like the liver, brain, thyroid and lymph nodes I'm left with the impression that you're confusing non-ionizing radiation with the ionizing variety. perhaps a cancer concern? Microwave radiation is of the non-ionizing type. Its effect on tissue is limited to heating and only to the depth that it can penetrate the skin. There is no evidence that exposure to non-ionizing radiation presents a cancer risk. It's the ionizing types (x-rays, gamma rays) that have the ability to cause cellular mutation and they have no penetration limits so far as the human body is concerned.

While cancer is apparently off the table for non-ionizing radiation exposure in the microwave band, it has been shown to damage nerve tissue and the eyes. To protect people from possible exposure most countries have set exposure limits. In the US those limits can be found here:

https://transition.fcc.gov/bureaus/oet/info/documents/bulletins/oet65/oet65.pdf  

As to the YouTube videos . . . oh, please. Aside from the fact that I couldn't locate anything relating to the deadly use of microwave energy relating to "masers" there's so much BS on YouTube it makes one's head spin . . . 
    This post was edited by Salt and Red Pepper at October 25, 2017 11:23 PM MDT
      October 25, 2017 8:36 PM MDT

• Thanks for the in depth info and perhaps I did go a little off track on the subject you win, I have a great fascination with the maser which was the fore runner of the laser. I do repair microwaves they're easy, I set up a magnetron with an inverter power supply from a Panasonic and a the focused beam was detectable over 20 metres away with a leak detector it set things in fire 30cm away, there's lots of military r&d into all this, only trouble is it won't work on a rainy day the droplets absorb most of the beam
      October 25, 2017 11:39 PM MDT

not sure, try it and see
      October 25, 2017 3:53 PM MDT